Thread: Cable/internet phone line?

Cable/internet phone line?

A friend of mine switched from regular telephone to Comcast -- she's had some bugs to work out in the beginning but things are going smoothly right now. She gets her phone, internet, and TV channels from Comcast and one monthly bill thats about the same or even less than what I'm paying for a standard phone line, DSL and satellite TV.

Since our dish is ticking us off right now (the wind knocked it loose last week and they want us to pay $99 for someone to come and tighten it for us ) we are entertaining the idea of switching. Besides, I'd love to have cable back since I sorely miss the Hallmark channel (LOL.... I am a dork!)

Anyone else have Cable phone -- is it worth it? Does it go out? Is the quality consistent and good? I assume its a lot like Vonage only through Comcast instead of through another provider like Vonage.

I know the cable internet will be faster and more reliable so thats already a plus for us.

I'd appreciate the good and bad opinions on this!

I used to have my Internet thru my phone line & it got to where it was so slow & started have all kinds of bugs.. I have now my Internet thru Cox High Speed TV & Communications line && Yes I will state it is much better..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

DO NOT GO WITH CHARTER!!!

They screwed my mom over so bad and then were VERY rude to her whenever we had problems! It took them FOREVER to send someone out to look into a problem and by the time they got out there it had usually fixed itself, so they were like "well looks like nothing is wrong bye". Then the problem would spring up again... this went on for about a YEAR! Our phone line constantly went out, it was out for about three months out of hte year if you added up the times together, yet they still charged us full price, even for the days we had no service!!

Even after she called and cancelled with them, they STILL billed her and she refused to pay, they threatened to sue!! Over a measly $33 bill THAT SHE HAD ALREADY PAID ONCE!!!!!

That having been said, if Cox is available in y our area they are MUCH more reliable.

I don't normally recommend DSL (since Cable IS more reliable with uptime) but if the only company in your area is Charter I strongly recommend looking into perhaps SBC Yahoo!. Well, they don't give you television... but they do give you phone and internet service!

facebook

Since I've never heard of Charter or Cox, I can't make a mistake by going with either of those!

We have Vonage and Comcast around here, and thats about it.

I switched to Comcast everything a few months ago. There have been a couple of bugs with the phone service but I love it all the same. The only drawback is that when the power goes out the batter backup only lasts a couple of hours.

Yes I have heard Comcast is pretty good.. Good Luck

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    DO NOT GO WITH CHARTER!!!

They screwed my mom over so bad and then were VERY rude to her whenever we had problems! It took them FOREVER to send someone out to look into a problem and by the time they got out there it had usually fixed itself, so they were like "well looks like nothing is wrong bye". Then the problem would spring up again... this went on for about a YEAR! Our phone line constantly went out, it was out for about three months out of hte year if you added up the times together, yet they still charged us full price, even for the days we had no service!!

Even after she called and cancelled with them, they STILL billed her and she refused to pay, they threatened to sue!! Over a measly $33 bill THAT SHE HAD ALREADY PAID ONCE!!!!!

That having been said, if Cox is available in y our area they are MUCH more reliable.

I don't normally recommend DSL (since Cable IS more reliable with uptime) but if the only company in your area is Charter I strongly recommend looking into perhaps SBC Yahoo!. Well, they don't give you television... but they do give you phone and internet service!
    I think Charter is good. We've only had one problem with them so far, and when we couldn't get our modem hooked up they gave me step-by-step instructions. Maybe it's just the Charter in your area? Although we had Charter when we first got internet and it never worked. THEN, we bought our own modem, and now it's like perfect!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Urgh! I just called Comcast for real prices, and they don't have it for my section of the city yet! They don't know WHEN they will either! Ok, so we'll have to table the idea for a while! Blah!

We are working with a system like that, called Telenet. It is VERY good! Of course, this is not available where you live, but I wanted you to know that this system works very well
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13
    I think Charter is good. We've only had one problem with them so far, and when we couldn't get our modem hooked up they gave me step-by-step instructions. Maybe it's just the Charter in your area? Although we had Charter when we first got internet and it never worked. THEN, we bought our own modem, and now it's like perfect!
    Considering we're in the same regional area... lol. You may just be one of the very few that get good service, they have horrible customer satisfaction rates its unbelievable.

facebook

Catnapper, we use Comcast for cable TV and internet. They don't have the phone available here yet either, but the prices for myself ended up being the same anyway, so I chose to stay with regular phone because if the power goes out phone still works, no battery backup needed, also I didn't want to pay the hookup fees whe it ended up being about the same as regular phone. I beleive it's about 47 dollars. I don't use much long distance though, because I use my cell phone for that for free, so that might make a difference in the price for you. It would still be worth it for the TV and internet though. We got rid of our dish too. You can always add the phone feature later, as well, if it would save money.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    Considering we're in the same regional area... lol. You may just be one of the very few that get good service, they have horrible customer satisfaction rates its unbelievable.
    Oh yeah we are in the sort of same area...(If my brain is turned on Missourri surrounds TN? If it doesnt surround it then it's close ) That's sad they have horrible service, but they've always helped us for the most part. I learned that their modems SUCK, so that's why we bought our own.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography