Thread: Does my dog sense a ghost?

Does my dog sense a ghost?

For a couple days now, my 9 month old English Setter male has been growling and barking at the ceiling in my living room. The first day we thought maybe something was up in our attic, we checked and we saw and heard nothing. The second day the same thing happened at exactly the same time. It is the only room in the house that he will do this. He barks and growls as if there was an intruder on the property, but there are no sounds coming from anywhere in the house. His sister, acts normal like she always does, but he will growl and bark staring at one section of the living room ceiling.
    Any advise?

Is your attic right above the living room ceiling??? If so, then there is a good chance that there IS something in the attic. NO, not a ghost or Jason or anything as gruesome or chilling as all that... most likely a chipmuck or a mouse or a giant flying bat with alien teeth and a spiked tail! Sorry, I couldn't control myself... now where was I??? Oh yeah, a chipmuck or a mouse could be moving and moving about at similar times in the day. Dogs hearing is obviously much more sensitive to these things and he could just be reacting to it. Also, sometimes your heating or cooling ducts will heat up and buckle at certain times during the day and make creaks and noises that you do not neccessarily hear. They do this normal and often occurs on schedule with relationship to the furnace kicking on. Your other dog probably hears these subtle noises or cues also, but simply doesn't care. OR HE IS AN ALIEN IN DISGUISE AND HE IS JUST TRYING TO COVER FOR HIS ALIEN FRIENDS by acting like he doesn't hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by BOBS DAD
    Is your attic right above the living room ceiling??? If so, then there is a good chance that there IS something in the attic. NO, not a ghost or Jason or anything as gruesome or chilling as all that... most likely a chipmuck or a mouse or a giant flying bat with alien teeth and a spiked tail! Sorry, I couldn't control myself... now where was I??? Oh yeah, a chipmuck or a mouse could be moving and moving about at similar times in the day. Dogs hearing is obviously much more sensitive to these things and he could just be reacting to it. Also, sometimes your heating or cooling ducts will heat up and buckle at certain times during the day and make creaks and noises that you do not neccessarily hear. They do this normal and often occurs on schedule with relationship to the furnace kicking on. Your other dog probably hears these subtle noises or cues also, but simply doesn't care. OR HE IS AN ALIEN IN DISGUISE AND HE IS JUST TRYING TO COVER FOR HIS ALIEN FRIENDS by acting like he doesn't hear them.
    LOL!

Bob's Dad is probably right. I am sure your dog is not hearing a ghost. It is probably a small animal in the attic or heating/cooling ducts will buckle and he hears them. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I like the alien theory myself...it's just as likely as having a ghost in the attic, and maybe it's friendly like ET or something

My setter mix has very sharp ears...and loves to go after moles in the yard and squirrels, etc. I agree with the small hairy pest theory...put out a mousetrap and find out (Chocolate makes great bait, by the way, as long as you keep the pooch out of it). I have also heard of dogs going after termites in the woodwork, but they usually come in from below...

If you can't find any evidence, I would call in an exterminator for an estimate first, and if you have no pests, hairy, insect, or extraterrestrial, then call in a medium to tell the ghost to stop pestering your dog.

Your poor Setter is probably frustrated because he hears those critters (or that critter) and you just don't get it, even after he's pointed it out and told you!

When I was younger I had a dog that kept going into my closet and barking. The closet shared a wall with our garage. My parents set a trap thinking we'd catch a squirrel or mouse. Nope. We went out to the garage later that week and found a raccoon crammed into the trap designed for an animal the size of a squirrel.

Welcome to pet talk glad to see someone on here with another english setter!
    He probally hears something and smells it like the everybody else said.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Quote Originally Posted by heatherm0205

For a couple days now, my 9 month old English Setter male has been growling and barking at the ceiling in my living room. The first day we thought maybe something was up in our attic, we checked and we saw and heard nothing. The second day the same thing happened at exactly the same time. It is the only room in the house that he will do this. He barks and growls as if there was an intruder on the property, but there are no sounds coming from anywhere in the house. His sister, acts normal like she always does, but he will growl and bark staring at one section of the living room ceiling.
    Any advise?
    Roof rats are quite popular, I'd check it out!
    LOL!
    Seriously, rats live in your roof if they can. If it's a ghost, I'd suggest a man og God to bless your home.
    Cam
    Camie Heuer