Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roxy & The Vet?

If any of my dogs were losing weight and there has not been a change in diet or activity, then you can bet that I would bring them to the vet, whether they were "acting weird" or not. Here is a sign -- you can see/feel ribs! That is a big red flag to me, and if my pets lost weight with no good reason (especially if you try feeding more and they are not putting weight back on) it is usually a sign of a more serious problem and is neglectful to NOT bring them to the vet in that case.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    If any of my dogs were losing weight and there has not been a change in diet or activity, then you can bet that I would bring them to the vet, whether they were "acting weird" or not. Here is a sign -- you can see/feel ribs! That is a big red flag to me, and if my pets lost weight with no good reason (especially if you try feeding more and they are not putting weight back on) it is usually a sign of a more serious problem and is neglectful to NOT bring them to the vet in that case.
    But after I started feeding her more she *HAS* started to gain weight back.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Casey scoots all the time and she gets tested for worms every 6 months and has never had them. Her anal glands are also okay. I think she just does this to wipe since she is chubby.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13
    Well, excuse me I didn't know. I just heard that if dogs rub their butts along the ground that it means they have worms. and Um..yeah I *WOULD* Notice if Roxy was doing that.

Usually that is the sign in impaced &/or infected anal glands, but sometimes if they are severly infected with parasites you may see the same behavior.

But many parasites can not be seen with the human eye, in fact some parasites are even hard to see with a fecal float or even hard to see in a smear under the microscope.

I don't ever recall seeing a pic of Roxy being extremely thin, but if she was ever so I would get her to the vet asap. I am glad to hear that she's putting weight back on though.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    Casey scoots all the time and she gets tested for worms every 6 months and has never had them. Her anal glands are also okay. I think she just does this to wipe since she is chubby.
    Ohhhh...Well nobody ever told me that, so I never knew.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

There are many types of worms and some show no real signs until they get so bad that it becomes a major problem. She really should be tested for heartworms as those can be deadly but show no signs until it's too late. Even people can have worms (most commonly roundworms) and not even know it but it can definitely cause malnutrition. Getting all the proper tests, vaccines, heartworm preventative, flea/tick preventative, and so on can really run high when you are taking good care of their health. Tasha and Tommy's vet bill for all of that in February ran me $400, but it's certainly worth it to keep them healthy and safe. That's why I couldn't afford to add another dog right now!
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13
    .yeah I *WOULD* Notice if Roxy was doing that.
    Bri, Please don't take this the wrong way.... but, I don't think you'd notice because you are always on PT and the dog is locked up outside or in the laundry room.

Jimmy had intestinal worms when we got him (what didn't he have!). The meds were $5 and that's all it took. I believe Jimmy's were round worms. They are gone and he still scoots. Even if Roxy has them it's easily fixed. Is she on heartguard for heartworms? That also prevents intestinal worms.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul
    Getting all the proper tests, vaccines, heartworm preventative, flea/tick preventative, and so on can really run high when you are taking good care of their health. Tasha and Tommy's vet bill for all of that in February ran me $400, but it's certainly worth it to keep them healthy and safe. That's why I couldn't afford to add another dog right now!
    Tell me about it! I have 4 dogs! If they are perfectly healthy that still means, 4 heartworm tests, four sets of shots, for times the frontline, and four times the heartguard pills for one year! Not to mention all the trouble we've had with Jimmy. He came home the end of August and we've spent about $1,200 since then on only him! When we totaled it all up my dad (who would be the most likely to say something negative) said, "Would you have wanted to spend it any other way?" Of course I said no and I totally mean it.

The other day my mom said," If Jimmy keeps getting sick we are going to have to seriously think about..." and I thought she was going to say put him down (which I would not let happen), but she said, "get a loan." The best part is I know she meant it.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)