Thread: trouble with cats, any advice?

trouble with cats, any advice?

My three cats, Muffin, Emma and Louise, are having trouble getting along....Louise and Emma (littermates) are the new ones, have been here about a month, they are 7 months old. Muffin is 2 years old, and has been here a year and a half.

At first I thought it was Muffin not accepting them, but I think she has now, I see her trying to play with them, trying to chase them, not to attack them, but to be part of their play. I have an old sheet that I throw over the piano bench, makes a tent for them to run in and out of and hide, jump out toward the other one. Muffin and my other cat Cookie that is no longer with us, used to play this, now Louise and Emma play it, and Muffin trys to play. everytime she even walks near them, they pull back their ears and hiss and growl at her. at times they try to play with her tail, and when she trys to play back they hiss again...

they are so scared of her, but she does not want to harm them...
    sometimes she does chase them, they run and hide under something, or screech so loud!! then there are times the last couple days when she really is after them, I have no idea what started it, if it something they have done to her or not...

Originally I had these two new ones to foster, but they were so scared of everyone and everything, and at their age, I didn't want to see them separated, and I am pretty sure that would have happened, so I just adopted them. They are very cute, I love them, but I hate this conflict. I should also add that sometimes one or both of them will touch noses with her, and she with them, so I know it is not all dislike of each other....

I'm confused. I don't understand why they keep seeking her out, going up to her if they are scared of her?

I could really use some help with this, any advice??

Whose in charge?

Maybe your older cat is letting the little ones know just who is in charge and how much she'll put up with, especially if she is chasing them. Once they respect her things should begin to improve. Sounds like there is potential since they are rubbing noses(always a good sign I think).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I loved reading: Cat Stories by James Herriot who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small series.

I agree with treybabe.
    I have an almost 8 yr. old, and brought home a kitten last April. It took a bit of time for them to 'work it out' all the way.
    The other thing was that they played sometimes kinda rough looking, but that's all it was- just cat play.
    Are you sure it's not just play?
    My cats are the best of buddies, but they get pissy with each other frequently. It lasts a few minutes, then they are all lovey again.

Originally posted by yorkster

My cats are the best of buddies, but they get pissy with each other frequently. It lasts a few minutes, then they are all lovey again.
    Ok, seems we Washingtonians all agree. It took Mocha quite a while before she accepted Bonzo. Several months. They still get Pissy with each other on occaison. We almost always break it up but minutes later they are best friends again.

No they are not just being pissy, sometimes the 2 new ones are with each other, it does last just a minute, Muffin and Cookie were like that too, mostly Muffin, but they were friends and were close... but this is different, they are scared of her.

Yes I am sure it's not play, not on their part at least, there is a big difference.

I know it can take a while, Muffin and Cookie were friends after just a few days, Cookie was just 10 weeks old, and Muffin accepted her pretty fast.

I am just going to have to separate them for a while then try again

Muffin is not chasing them to let them know shes boss, she is trying to play, but they get scared.

When I first brought Wylie home last year, he was scared of my older cat. Kedi wanted to be buds right away, but Wylie would hiss, swat, etc. , also hid under the bed alot!
    It took about a week, then they were fine.
    With different cats, the time will probably vary. I also think the fact that there are 2 kittens with 1 older cat can have an effect:the kittens have each other, so they don't HAVE to get along as quickly with Muffin.

It could be that Muffin is just bigger than they are so when the play gets rough, they get the worse part of the deal. Muffin may not mean to scare them, but just being bigger and stronger might do it. Maybe once they get a little bigger and more confident of their own prowess things will settle down a bit. Good luck TC, and keep us posted!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Be patient and keep an eye on them they will get to know what not to do to one another and it will be one big happy family!! Just have to see who is boss.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

that is a very pretty pic of Misty!

yes I guess I am just impatient, will have to wait to see what happens... I know that Muffin will not hurt them, so I am just going to let them work it out on their own, the screeching sound is bad, sounds like they are being murdered!! LOL but I have watched, and Muffin does not ever hurt them, really never even touches them. With Cookie things were fine til one day Cookie got to be 10 months old, which is when cats are suposedly feeling more independant or whatever, and seem to say to the other, hey Im not little anymore..anyway, I wonder what will happen when these two get to that stage...
    but for now, things are getting better I guess, they are starting to seek her out, so..will see. I guess I'm still a novice at all this cat stuff. LOL I guess I hope for too much too soon?

thanks everyone for the advice.