Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: White GSD Mix in Trouble

White GSD Mix in Trouble

I was at the shelter yesteraday exercising the bog dogs when I cam across Snow, a white GSD mix. Gorgoeus! I was looking for his paperwork and found none in the book. That meant he had been taken out of adoptions. This freaked me out, needless to say. I talked with the receptionist and she said that Snow was 8 months old and was about to get put to sleep coz he nips!

I threw a temper tantrum and demanded to speak to the person that made such decisions and she was so nasty to me. I asked her if he had ever broken the skin and she said no. I convinced her to hold off and let me try and find a good home for him or a rescue group that would take him. I spent about an hour with him and we played and rolled around in the grass together and he was so sweet. Lots of kisses and not once nipped me. He nipped at my pants when I tried to put him in his kenel, but that was it.

He is a big dog and seems to be a rough player. But he is only 8 months old and I feel that wit the right owner, training, and love, his problem can be corrected.

I spent hours trying to contact GSD rescue groups and no one has returned my call. I don't know how to start looking for a no kill shelter.

HELP!

Souraya, I hope you don't mind, but I will crosspost this message over at Just Dogs, an MSN, rescue oriented site. Lots of Shepherd lovers there who are very involved in rescue. Perhaps they will have some ideas. What a sad situation. I'm so glad you jumped in and spoke up, plus gave the fellow some fun time as well.

Logan, no, I don't mind that you cross posted it. I am running out of ideas and am getting so frustrated. The groups that I have contacted haven't even returned my call.

I have a whole bunch of rescue links. Let me search through them and see if I can find a no-kill shelter near you.

How close are you to Bloomingdale, GA?
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Here are 2 different lists of GA shelters and rescues. I was going to narrow them down for you but have no idea what cities are closest.

http://www.creatures.com/GA.html

http://www.petsville.com/petsville/t...ation_list.cfm
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Just Got Back from the Shelter

I took my lunch break and went down to the shelter to talk to the director. He and I have been working together for almost 2 years now. I told him how appalled I was at the decision and explained to him that if Snow was put down I was going to make a great big issue about it. This shelter only euthanizes if the animal is extremely sick, terribly mean, or they are full. Well, none of the above conditions exist in Snow's case.

The director said that he was unaware of the decision and usually let the Kennel Supervisor (the mean lady) call the shots on issues like that. She was brought into the office and I explained that I was not there to get her in trouble but wanted to discuss with her and the director her decision and the factors that brought her to it. She went on and said that Snow had been there for a month. Blah Blah Blah. I have seen animals there for over 3 months. They were never put down. Then she said they couldn't afford to feed it, etc... So, I made a donation on the spot and told them that they had my number if they needed me and I would be more than happy to help out. I will be calling them daily to check up on the boy. In the mean time, I will visit him and try and find him a home or rescue group.

Keep the ideas coming.
    Last edited by DoggiesAreTheBest; 02-11-2002 at 02:34 PM.

You know what, Souraya, I think I would like to have you defending me against any potential "bullies". What a great effort you have made on behalf of this dog.

Souraya = hero

I'm so proud of you.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Great job Souraya. My heart was pounding as I read your story. It's seems so antithetical. A woman working to shelter rescue dogs who doesn't seem to skip a beat when making a decision to end a young life, deserving of chance?????? It seems even when "these people" are given an "out" to reprieve the dog, they don't want to even entertain the idea. Sounds like a MAJOR control issue to me! And I haven't met an 8 month old "PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" yet that didn't "nip!" At our local shelter, each dog is worked with DAILY for 1/2 hr. by a trainer/handler to work on any issues her or she might have. Oh, I'm so furious! I hope your efforts are successful. Snow sounds like a very special dog! Thanks so much, sniff, sniff....

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I'm appauled that that woman is the Kennel Supervisor!!!

Of course a puppy might nip. They don't know any better! She should of had the smarts to realize that.

And 'couldn't afford to feed it'?!?!?!??! Had I been the director listening to those excuses, I'd of fired the woman on the spot.

Good luck Souraya. I hope you have luck finding the little guy a home just like you did Chab.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Good luck, Souraya. Thank you for standing up for that poor innocent. GSD puppies NIP! How could that lady not know that? When we rescued Shiloh, she was a nipper. We even considered taking her to a $200 behaviorist who writes the articles in Dog World. By the time I got through talking to her and was getting set up to make an appointment, Shiloh got out of her nipping stage herself. She has never nipped again! I am sending prayers out for a quick adoption. Good luck!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

I know this might be a problem but if you can't convince the kennel supervisor you might as well take snow home so that they don't put him to sleep and look for a new home for Snow. It's just an idea. Or you might as well keep being brave and defend him.
    Puppies are a bundle of joy, dogs, are life's happiness.

Good for you Souraya! You go girl!

That is unbelievable to me that this MEAN woman would make a decision like that! She can not possibly have an animals best interest at heart.

Most, if not all, puppies nip. Doesn't this woman know that? She should know it if she is working in a shelter.

Please let us know what happens, and bless you for doing this.

I'm no expert but the fact that a puppy nips a bit is no surprise to me. And I'm also sure that with a bit of training the problem can be solved.

I wonder why though that woman is doing this job she does not seem cut out for this at all. You should have that job instead Souraya!

I'll pray that a solution can be found soon.

I have met puppies that nip. But I am certain that with the right training, Snow can be broken out of that habbit. He is only a puppy.

Still no calls back from the rescue groups. If push comes to show, I will take Snow into my home and try and find him a new family. I am going to see him during my lunch break and will call in a few minutes to make sure he is doing fine.

More on this later.