Thread: Nail clipping

Former User Guest

Nail clipping

Can anyone tell us how often we should cut our cat's nails?
    We just did it the first time today, and both Casper and Kitty were very good about it.

I think you'll know, Niina when they start getting sharp on your leg or arm! Butter had his done about 3 weeks ago, and I can tell it will need to be done again real soon. Maybe once a month or so? I'm not very experienced at this topic, because I don't clip Mimi's, never have. She doesn't "use" them the way Butter does! The vet did it for me while Butter was sedated. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to tackle his nails on my own either! Yikes!! It could be ugly!!

Logan

Logan's right, you'll eventually get a "feel" of when they need clipping!

My cats are also indoor cats, and one of them needs hers clipped weekly! The rest need it less often, but generally every two to four weeks is normal.

Former User Guest
    Thanx Logan and Leah. As we said, it was only the first time we did it today, can't believe it actually! But they are so active that their nails aren't growing. Now they seemed to be a bit longer and we thought to cut them since Casper started chewing them... I think we will see what happens, and every 2 weeks sounds good, esp. now that summer is coming and I'm sure they won't be so active when it's warmer.

I was also surprised how good they both behaved while cutting the nails, Casper wanted to watch all the time Kitty was a bit more difficult, but she didn't mind it either. I was expecting a fight or something, but I'm glad I was wrong

You have to buy cat nail clippers from the pet store - they aren't too expensive. And to learn how much to cut off - I think that's best to be learned from a demonstration. I learned from my vet. If you cut too short the nail can bleed and it's quite dangerous - kitty can bleed to death from a nail. Realisticly, only the tip with the sharp part needs to come off

I have two cats. One is 15 and one is almost 2. The 15 year old, CJ, lived a large portion of her life inside/outside (now strictly inside) and the 2 yr old, Bubba, has always been inside. Bub's claws are much sharper than CJ's and, of course, Bub's the one who loves to make muffins (on my shoulder, yet). I was terrified of clipping claws until someone showed me how. I never had to since CJ was outside so much. It helps that Bub is a tremendously patient and good kittie. If I had to do it to CJ, I would probably lose an arm! I have found that regular nail clippers work better than the pair of kittie ones I have, although the kittie ones I have could be of inferior quality...I don't know because someone gave them to me. All this leads me to another question....CJ is not a scratcher, but a biter (I think she suffers from petting "overstimulation"...she bites and purrs at the same time and is quick as a snake...I have the fang marks to prove it). My question: is there someone out there who can teach me how to file teeth??
    -Syl, CJ & The Bubs

Weekly

I check my cats weekly and clip the nails that need it. Some grow more slowly than others. I do the back claws too, just not as often. I usually grab the furry monsters when they are sleeping in the sun and quite relaxed. I also brush their teeth with cat toothpaste and brush. They don't mind it all all, since it has a nice flavor. They actually fight over the toothpaste....! I hope to save a few dollars in vet's bills by brushing their back/uppper teeth. According to the vet, the back ones are the ones that accumulate most of the tartar. So far so good.

Re: Weekly

Originally posted by sasvermont
    I also brush their teeth with cat toothpaste and brush. They don't mind it all all, since it has a nice flavor. They actually fight over the toothpaste....!
    I had to laugh when I read this, not because I think it's funny to brush cats' teeth, but because I was picturing the scene if I ever tried to do this with either Tubby or Peanut! Tubby gets pretty feisty when all I'm trying to do is give him a little bitty pill, I can only imagine what his reaction would be if I tried to brush his teeth! Although, I recently bought one of those battery operated toothbrushes that are kind of like what the dentist uses to polish my teeth, and Tubby seems fascinated by it. I know he doesn't like the human toothpaste, but maybe if I bought the kitty toothpaste......noooo....I value my arms too much.

And Peanut, either she'd put up a fight worse than Tubby, or she'd be meek and let me do it, then never talk to me again. So far the hard food they get has been doing a pretty good job though. Tubby has horrible kitty breath, but other than that the vet said they look fine. Whew! Arms saved once again.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Give it a try...

Tubby & Peanut's Mom: You should give it a try. The toothpaste and brush can be purchased at any pet store. My guys just love the stuff. Once they get the addiction going, they may just let you put your fingers or brush in their mouth. Maybe not. My last kitty (RB) would NEVER open her mouth. These two monsters let me do anything to them! Well, most anything. They even enjoy going to the VET. Go figure! They just like being touched! At any cost.

Re: Give it a try...

Originally posted by sasvermont
    Tubby & Peanut's Mom: You should give it a try.
    You know, I might just take you up on that. Tubby's breath is sooo bad, and after I posted the message above, I started thinking that maybe it would help in giving him a pill. If he gets used to having his mouth open, I can just pop the pill in when he's got his mouth open. Another project. I'll let you know the results when I actually get around to doing it. Thanks for the little push!
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Count your fingers before & after

Good luck.

I should put a disclaimer on my original comment!

Re: Count your fingers before & after

LOL I'll be sure and do that.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Former User Guest

Re: how ??

Originally posted by lut
    hey , I never heard about nail clipping before !! I'm quite ignorant , I know !!
    But now I realize that Sydney might need that too , as his nails are VERY sharp , and he is an indoor cat too !!!
    My question is now : how do I do that ??? Is there a special instrument fot that ??? And how do you know how much may be cut of ?????
    Lut, take a look at when you get those scissors that there's that metal part, it will stop you from cutting too much of the nail. I'll take a pic of our scissors tomorrow so you can se that metal part....