Thread: Joint care senior food

Joint care senior food

Well, I've been thinking. Autumn's current food is running low and I need to pick up some new stuff soon. Its hard to do but I think she might need something with joint care or some senior food. She only turned 6 in the beginning of December. She has hip problems though and walks funny. My family hasn't noticed this but I think she holds her back legs stiff when she walks. I need opinions on whether people think its too soon for a senior food and/or what they think is a good food for joint care.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

My vet, who is not a fan of age specific diets, told me that he doesn't know of any food that actually has a therapeutic level of joint supplements in it. You'd probably get better results by putting her on a supplement, like glucosmine. I have several seniors who are getting stiff. I feed them regular kibble (Acana Premium) and give them a glucosmine supplement plus antler. (My father in law is an antler carver so he saves all the dust & chunks for me). Seems to work. Preacher & Sleet are both at least 12 now and can both get up on the couch without assistance.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Thanks, I'll try supplements for sure.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Actually, Eagle Pack makes a great Senior food with added glucosamine.

Our Senior Care® Formula is a result of the latest research known to improve the health and longevity of our senior pets. It puts to rest several myths about protein levels in a senior's diet. Our Senior Care® Formula has many superior benefits not available in other brands.

With Carrots, Peas and Oatmeal

* Current research shows the diet must make it easier on the aging dog's digestive system, so we use the 3 most digestible meat meal proteins from meat. We do not use by-products, as do some senior formulas.
    * Current research also shows the aging dog needs higher levels of amino acids, which come from meat meal protein. Clearly then you do not want to reduce protein levels. (A protein level of approximately 26% is correct for the senior dog). Fifty years ago, there was some poorly done research from which some companies drew improper conclusions, i.e., that reduced levels of protein were appropriate for the senior dog in order to prevent renal failure. This is simply not true.
    * To further enhance the digestibility and a healthy digestive system, we are one of a very few brands that add yogurt-type probiotics, prebiotics (Inulin) and digestive enzymes. Our exclusive SQM® Enhanced Vitamin/Mineral System, teamed with antioxidants, builds overall health and a healthy immune system.
    * Our Omega-Health® skin and coat system enhances skin and coat.
    * Natural Formula contains Glucosamine to repair, renew and rebuild joints and to relieve joint pain.
    * Members of our Breeder's Advisory Council who own Great Danes find their dogs are living 5 years longer.

Note: When feeding your senior dog, give him his daily amount and leave it available 24 hours a day.

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lover
    Actually, Eagle Pack makes a great Senior food with added glucosamine.
    Eagle Pack is a very good food in all their formulas. I fed it for a while before I had quite so many dogs! (acana gives me a deal when I buy by the ton, Eagle doesn't) Most senior formulas add glucosomine. What my vet told me was that many senior foods have gluc. added, but that there isn't enough of it in the kibble to actually be therapuetic. To be effective, the dog needs to absorb more than is added to most foods.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    Eagle Pack is a very good food in all their formulas. I fed it for a while before I had quite so many dogs! (acana gives me a deal when I buy by the ton, Eagle doesn't) Most senior formulas add glucosomine. What my vet told me was that many senior foods have gluc. added, but that there isn't enough of it in the kibble to actually be therapuetic. To be effective, the dog needs to absorb more than is added to most foods.
    They have added the glucosamine to the large breed puppy formula as well. I have heard of Acana, my cousin feeds his American Bulldog that food. I like that Eagle lists on the side of the bag how much of each supplement, including glucosamine, is added (on my bag of Large & Giant breed puppy anyway).

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    My vet, who is not a fan of age specific diets, told me that he doesn't know of any food that actually has a therapeutic level of joint supplements in it. You'd probably get better results by putting her on a supplement, like glucosmine. I have several seniors who are getting stiff. I feed them regular kibble (Acana Premium) and give them a glucosmine supplement plus antler. (My father in law is an antler carver so he saves all the dust & chunks for me). Seems to work. Preacher & Sleet are both at least 12 now and can both get up on the couch without assistance.
    I have to agree here, Bear get's fed R/D science diet to control his weight (not the best when it comes to joint help) and gets a glucosomine/chondroitin suppliment and does well on it it. The vet put him on it when we first adopted him at 5. He could barely get up his back joints were so bad. He'll never be able to jump like the other dogs, the damage was to severe by the time we got him, but the suppliment has helped him to be able to move around much more freely and with a lot less stiffness. He's now almost 9 and has been doing well on it.