Thread: How is the situation in your country?

How is the situation in your country?

I was wondering what's the situation of stray cats in different places of the world.

Here in Israel it's quite bad. There are too many cats on thee streets, and in most cities they are skinny and sick. Where I used to live till 6 months ago they were too many to count, and no matter how much I tried, I counldn't keep up with them.
    Only in a few cities they spay and Neuther cats, and even in those places it's not enough as they only just started a few years ago, and they can't keep up.
    Where I live now, its a little better. there are more good people in this nieghbourhood that feed the cats and take care of them, but still there are too many cats out there.
    Just the other day we called the cat welfare society here and they took 4 of our cats to spay and neuther, they are all back now and they are ok. The cat welfare people spay cats for less money, but it's still not cheap, so not every one can do what we did.

Maybe you can share better stories?

Former User Guest
    It's not all too bad in Finland, but there's another bad problem. People tend to take what we call there summer cats, and then by the time winter comes, people dump them That has been a problem for quite a while, but now the education is going thru and less people are doing this anymore.

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    I hardly ever see strays in Germany or back home in the Netherlands. And if there are strays, people usually take care of them, feed them and either take them home or bring them to the cat rescues.

There's one problem though: there are people who catch black/white cats for coats!!! It's disgusting.

C.C.'s Mom! That is really disgusting!!

In Denmark, we have an organisation for cats, something like RSPCA. If people contact them, they'll come out with a big box and food to put in it and leave it until the cat(s) goes in. Of course the person who called will have to check it all the time. They will then come and put a blanket over, get the box and take the cat(s) to the vet. There they will be neutered/spayed, earmarked, vaccinated aso. If the cat is all right it will be taken back to where it came from and one person has to sign an agreement to take responsebility for that cat. If the cat is too sick it will be put down.

As it happens, Fister was filmed during the whole operation because a TV company was doing a childrens programme on cats living in back yards. He came back 5 days laterr. So we've got it all on video!

We've had the same problems as in Finland, with cats being left in summerhouse areas, but it has got better now with more information.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Originally posted by C.C.'s Mom
    I hardly ever see strays in Germany or back home in the Netherlands. And if there are strays, people usually take care of them, feed them and either take them home or bring them to the cat rescues.

There's one problem though: there are people who catch black/white cats for coats!!! It's disgusting.

They actually do that C>C'sMom? Oh my goodness! How Horrible.

Lynne

Here in the United States it is just as bad as in Israel. I live in a suburban area, and even we have quite a few "feral" cats in our neighborhood. There are quite a few local organizations to help, and a lot of people simply feed and care for the cats on their own, but it gets very expensive. Too many cats, and not enough homes. The biggest problem is people who decide they don't want their cats anymore simply dump them anywhere they please. It's horrible! If I could catch just one of these people, I want to just beat the crap out of them!

But, I think there are more people like us who want to help, than there are unfeeling, mean, selfish louts. I can only hope that is true. Give a scratch to all of your cats from me!

-Denise

Originally posted by SpencerTheLion
    Mean People S***
    AMEN!!!

They make coats from the cat skins. Rather disgusting procedure, but I know that this happens in the Netherlands as well as in Germany and in many other countries like China, Phillipines. They get about $10,- per cat

My friend had a cat who didn't come home and she found out that there was in fact one of these criminals who sell the cat coats lives in her street. When she showed up to ask if he had her cat too, she got a gun shown to her head. Nice buddies...
    Her cat never returned.

It's known that people with rheuma buy blankets made of cat coats.

There are many articles about it on the internet. I've so far read the German only, and linking would be useless for you...

Originally posted by C.C.'s Mom
    They make coats from the cat skins.
    That is SO DISGUSTING!!! I just can't find the words. How cruel can people get!! There's absolutely no excuse!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Originally posted by SpencerTheLion
    Not that I really want to know, but as much as my cats shed, how long would a cat skin coat last? It would not seem to be very long.
    I have no idea.

This topic has been in my head ever since this thread started and I mentioned this. It makes me so very sad.

Iīm sorry I post so late in this thread, but I just couldnīt put it into words... the situation of ALL kind of stray animals in Spain is quite bad In fact, stray cats are not the ones who suffer most ... the worst fate awaits stray (well, abandoned!) dogs here.. Unfortunately, a lot of pets are abandoned by neglectful, thoughtless owners (does that term suit this kind of people really ?) and the shelter network here is clearly insufficient, lacking means and even social support
    Only some years ago, animal welfare was a joke here, if you tried to make someone understand that animals have feelings you would be laughed at your face... and it still happens, but is slowly changing.
    I donīt want to be too harsh on this, for there is also a lot of Spanish people who love and care and respect animals , but there is also a cultural background (most met in the country, I mean, rural areas) which sees animals just as beings to be used.
    One startling thing about this and stray cats is that theyīre not really seen as a problem (thereīs nothing like TNR programs here!) but cats are left by themselves out there.
    Roughly, the situation is this:
    Most people are friendly when a stray approaches, but then they wonīt do anything about it (actually, they havenīt been educated to do anything), so the stray will survive on its own till it finishes at the local pound (kill one, of course) or is lucky enough and itīs taken to a humane shelter (no kill, and there are very few of them). Of course, there is an undertermined number of animals who will suffer unbelievably by vicious acts of cruelty, but I guess that, sadly, happens everywhere

I am sorry thisīs been a very very sad post, but as Charles said in General, We have a different perspective in the Pet Talk Community and there is a cruel world out there.

Nita

I believe that Canada is much the same as the US. In Nova Scotia we have only 1 no kill shelter that I am aware of. You will often see strays in the streets of Halifax, our province's capital.

We too have a problem with summer cats. My dear departed cat Avallon was left in the woods in October after her owners left their cottage. While we certainly aren't arcticly cold here, we do have nights where a cat could freeze to death.

Halloween is a dangerous time for cats in Nova Scotia. A few years back a bunch of fraternity a**holes doused a cat with gas and lit it on fire as a halloween "joke". The outrage was so great that the idiots were expelled.

I think the situation here in Vancouver is much the same as the rest of Canada, although currently all of our SPCA (Humane Society) shelters in the Vancouver area have a "no kill" policy in place. I don't know how much longer they can keep it up with limited resources and space. The biggest problem is irresponsible parents giving young children a kitten or puppy for Christmas or Birthday, and one of two things happen; either the animal is abused through ignorance of the child, or the parents decide it's too much work and abandon the animal. There is a big push to spay or neuter your pet, and I think that most people are listening (I hope). I just want to adopt all those kitties who don't have homes!