Thread: Anyone like Fossils?

Anyone like Fossils?

Thanks to my Geology class, I found something else to be interested in Fossils! Surprisingly, there's a lot of neat fossil beds around Monmouth County and New Jersey in general to check out. I am pretty mad I never knew about these hidden gems When asked my Dad said, "oh yeah I knew about them, but I didn't want you starting another nerdy hobby.." But anyway, I went to one last year called Poricy Park, but was disappointed in the lack of "cool" fossils. I found a few insanely ancient oyster shells, but that gets less cool as you find them. A professor of mine mentioned another place close by that is a "Gold Mine" for shark teeth, mososaur teeth (ancient reptilian - not a dino!), fish teeth, bones, etc. I visited over my spring break and THOUGHT I hit a gold mine, but I managed to find a lot of neat looking "rocks" - concentrations of Iron/Mudstone that look like teeth/bones.

Beginners mistake, I suppose! But at least they are still cool looking?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index-1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	56149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index-2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	56148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index-3.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	56147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	56146

First two, rocks I mistook for Mososaur Teeth, which I aiming to find! 3rd, ACTUAL teeth - okay I kind of found these along a wooden ledge that someone kindly left there, but next time I will find them myself, they are very difficult to spot - at least in my opinion. The last one is what I though was an Arrowhead, it *probably* isn't but the weird indentation and perfect triangular look....mmhh. I asked a Forum that knows about fossils but I don't think anyone mentioned it in my post, so I may either ask my professor or even someone at the state museum! But if not, it's still a very neat rock shape!

I also found some Belemnites - which is common. It's the "guard" of an ancient squid, cephalopod. They're neat because they are shaped perfectly like an arrow or a bullet almost.

Anyway, I also bought a Spinosaurus tooth for around $15, from a *legitimate* fossil place online. They have an actual store in Massachusetts. I never knew such things could be bought that cheaply, but they are apparently common fossils. Ever since that horrible Jurassic Park 4 movie, I LOVED the Spinosaurus. Even though the movies completely inaccurate - I still liked the Dino.

So, is anyone else interested in these sort of things? Am I the only nerd?

I will post a pic of my tooth when it comes, it shipped today I believe! I am extremely excited about it, for what reason? I don't truthfully know, but hopefully it doesn't break in the mail!

We love fossils - there is a place in Massachusetts - Western part of the state - that has the world's only known tail print fossil, right there on the rocks in the ground. Cool, huh?
    I've Been Frosted

Massachusetts and Connecticut have a lot of neat fossil beds! Connecticut, unlike NJ, preserved all their footprints really well! That is really cool Karen, have you seen it?

I am surprised to learn you could find things rather easily. I thought by now all the easy stuff -- and even the moderately difficult! -- would have been gathered up. Leaving just the really hard to find items.

You did well first go around. Keep at it!

And ignore comments like your Dad makes, ha haa

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Massachusetts and Connecticut have a lot of neat fossil beds! Connecticut, unlike NJ, preserved all their footprints really well! That is really cool Karen, have you seen it?
    We have - we took a road trip just to see it!
    I've Been Frosted

I had to update to say my Spino tooth came! I am so excited I mean, it's rather useless to own but I want to start a little collection and what other way to start off with a collection than a reasonably priced tooth from your favorite Dinosaur? Don't judge me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	484033_10151615466766756_485587805_n.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	56161
    It's a two inch tooth, in decent shape, and for $15 that wasn't bad.

Sandie, the fossil beds gets a continuous supply from both the Ocean and the huge banks of the river that are constantly eroding!

Cool, thanks for sharing it with us!
    I've Been Frosted

Where I come from there used to be coal mining and coal developped under pressure from prehistoric forests. So there were plenty of slag hills and there you could find wonderful fossils. I still have a big petrified mushroom ( the type that grows on the side of a tree) and some horsetails on my balcony. I think it is very exciting to find things like that
    Unfortunately in our slag hills animals would be extremely rare and there were no dinosaurs at all

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    Where I come from there used to be coal mining and coal developped under pressure from prehistoric forests. So there were plenty of slag hills and there you could find wonderful fossils. I still have a big petrified mushroom ( the type that grows on the side of a tree) and some horsetails on my balcony. I think it is very exciting to find things like that
    Unfortunately in our slag hills animals would be extremely rare and there were no dinosaurs at all
    I agree, it is so exciting to a find a few little things! A petrified mushroom sounds really cool actually. If there aren't dinosaurs, what kind of fossils are found there? Are there plant fossils? Those are really neat to!