Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need your opinions re:digital cameras

need your opinions re:digital cameras

I mentioned to hubby that we should look into a digital camera when the tax-return arrives. He likes the idea too, but we're pretty clueless about what to look for. I've looked on the Internet, but I still can't tell what features are good to have and what to avoid. I'm strictly a leisure photographer, not a pro, so it doesn't have to be top of the line to make me happy!

I want one that:
    * takes good pictues
    *easy to use, portable
    *easy to upload
    *doesn't use a million batteries
    *don't need a bunch of equipment hooked to the computer to use (my computer is stretched to the limit now)

Seems like lots of you here take GREAT pictues with digital cameras -
    care to share what you think about your camera?
    Thanks!

Canon PowerShot

Its really the only camera worth your money for the price range and quality you get out of the camera.Not only that, but they are DURABLE. My A300 I've had for three years now. Its been dropped, banged, kicked, you name it and it still works perfect! A bit slow compared to newer cameras of course, but still good considering its age!

I DO NOT recommend Kodaks or HP cameras. They may be cheap, sure, but the quality and features lack.

Another thing I might add is that don't assume more MP means better quality pictures. All it REALLY means is... bigger prints!! Unless you're a professional, or unless you will be making poster sized prints, you really need nothing over a 3 or 4MP camera. 5, tops. So that way you can go for a "lower-end" camera and not end up wasting money on higher MPs that you will never use.

Another thing -- lets say you have a 4MP camera. The ONLY way to get a true 4MP picture from your camera is to have the quality settings ALL the way up and the resolution the highest it will go. Otherwise, you are not taking true 4MP pictures with the camera.

I hope all that makes sense!

EDIT: and with any camera that does not have internal memory OR uses memory cards, you have hte option to hook the camera to your computer BUT you can just skip all that and use a card reader instead That way you also don't even have to isntall any additional software!

facebook

I love my Nikon. It comes with a rechargable battery that lasts pretty long. I have two and so one is always charging while the other is in the camera (woohoo, life is good!)

I have the Nikon Coolpix 5400. There are less expensive Coolpix models that do just as nice a job. I think mine is actually pretty good pricewise now.

It takes great closeup shots, hard indoor with poor lighting, and action

Here's an indoor action shot - lighting was pretty awful and I was quite a distance away

Closeup in natural light

Sunset

Action, VERY poor light, with flash

Anothor action shot. No flash, only light source was the stained glass lamp

Uploading is a snap, plug it in and download. No extra software needed, but it comes with it (I never use it)

Pat I'm not really sure what I'd suggest but I can tell you about my cameras

I have two Canons:

Canon Powershot S1 IS
    This one I got for Christmas (2004). I think we got it on sale for around $350 plus I bought a 1GB card which was an extra $100. I wanted this camera for two things...it takes up to 1 hour of video with the 1GB card and it has a 10x zoom.

and

PowerShot SD 110 Elph
    It's great! I got it on sale (last years model) at Sears for $129! I did buy a 128MB card for it.
    Honestly it's got everything you'd want (or everything I wanted) and it's small enough to carry every where you go!

I did have an Olympus before both of these and I liked it, I just didn't like that it had hardly any features.

So there you go!
    I don't think anyone can tell you what to get as there are quite a few good cameras out there. Go for one with the options you want and at the price you want.
    Canons are just my camera of choice.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Canon, Canon, Canon!!

I'm currently using the upgrade of Anna's, the Canon PowerShot S2 IS.
    I love it. I'll probably never buy a different brand of camera.

All I have is one USB cord. I don't even used any software to load them. All I have to do with Windows XP is plug my camera in and a screen pops up asking you what you'd like to do (upload and some other options)

It's so easy and doesn't take long at all! My camera is quite the battery hog, though - but I also use it everyday.

I just had Robby buy the Canon Powershot A520 and it's very nice as well.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I shoot with Olympus cameras--all three of them. I have a C-50, a C-5060 and a Stylus 800. The C-50 is pretty much worn out. It still takes great pics, but there's a trick to getting it to work now. It's four years old and without exaggeration I probably took 100, 000 pics with it. It owes me nothing! Stuart carries it now and likes it.

The C-5060 is called a "prosumer" camera. It's just a step below a digital SLR. I love that thing, but it's bulky and hard to carry around. It's a 5.1 megapixel. Amazing macro shots!

I got the Stylus 800 at Christmas. It's pocketsized &weatherproof. It's an 8 megapixel. As the guy at the camera store told me "no one really needs an 8 mp pocket camera, but for the extra 50 bucks what the heck!?". It has loads of settings, takes good pics and works even if it gets wet--a big plus when you drop it the snow! It's also extremely easy to use. If you want something you can just whip out and start shooting, I'd recommend one of the Stylus line.

All of my Olympus cameras came with rechargeable batteries. Last week I took 700 pics on my Stylus before it needed recharging. I use 1GB XD memory cards in all of them.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Mine's a Canon PS A520 and it more or less takes great photos for me as I'm not a good photographer. I use a card reader and also got a larger card than the one that came with it, I use Linux so the software was no use to me. Rechargeable batteries are great too.

This is great - I'm going to print all your answers out to go over with my hubby. no matter what the ad or the sales person says, there's nothing like hearing about a camera from someone who's used it. Thanks!
    Anyone else got any opinions?

I have a Kodak easy share, cx3400.
    It's not the best camera but for the price I am really happy with it. It has so many features yet is easy to use. Takes decent pics and is really durable. It is also easy to load. I am not sure if it is the type of batteris I have (sony I think) but they last quite a while. I was really surprised.

If you have the money though I reccomend Cannon. Thats about the best type of camera out there, always has been & probably always will be, IMO anyways.
    I have always had Cannon when dig's were not produced yet and if money would allow it I'd continue to stick with Cannon. I have a real nice 35mm cannon (used to have 2 but sold one when I got my dig.) I am VERY happy with it.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Hmmm, Canon keeps coming up. I have a really nice Pentax SLR, it was quite expensive, but it's big & I hate to drag it around in the dogpark & stuff, I'm always worried I'll drop it or break it. Plus, it would be NICE to have a digital and be able to upload a few images quickly. Also the digitals seem to have more range for micro/macro shots. I would need to buy more lenses for my Pentax.

i have a Canon 35mm (SLR) which i just LOVE!!! takes great pics and has a lot of features, but now with all the digital stuff i wanted one so my hubby got me a Kodak easyshare, its good but not really what i wanted, i wanted one that were like my 35mm just Digital but they are expensive so i settled for that one, it takes really nice pics, but you have to have good light(indoors) otherwise its really hard or almost impossible to see in the viewer screen what you are shooting, so i´ll keep this because i hate the hassle of develop and printing films but maybe later i´´ll get a better one, a Canon (SLR)
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I just bought the Canon Digital Rebel EOS last night !!!! I am so excited. It was pricey -- camera, memory sticks, etc. = $1,000 buckaroos. We bought this one because we also have a newer Canon 35 mm and the lens are interchangeable. (In case any of you guys didn't know that, now you do ! I do understand that some of the digital features are lost when using the 35mm lens on a digital so I don't know how much we'll interchange the lens, but it's nice to have the option.) I have yet to start using it though, too busy today to really read through and experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyOf3cats
    I just bought the Canon Digital Rebel EOS last night !!!! I am so excited. It was pricey -- camera, memory sticks, etc. = $1,000 buckaroos. We bought this one because we also have a newer Canon 35 mm and the lens are interchangeable. (In case any of you guys didn't know that, now you do ! I do understand that some of the digital features are lost when using the 35mm lens on a digital so I don't know how much we'll interchange the lens, but it's nice to have the option.) I have yet to start using it though, too busy today to really read through and experiment.
    Which Rebel? There are two -- the 8MP and the 12MP. I reallllllllly want the 12MP but its like $2800 just for the body haha. But they had the 8MP at the same store I just bought my new powershot from and the body, lens and a kit (lens cleaner, extra battery, 1GB memory card, case, 5 year warranty) all for $1100. I would have got that one instead of my powershot but didn't have enough money left on the loan they gave HJ after he bought his laptop so I settled for the powershot for now to "hold me over" hehe

facebook

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Canon here too. The Powershot A510 was Consumer Reports top pick - I LOVE it. Although I think it's been "upgraded" - the latest is the A520 (I think). Awesome camera, easy to use. Has lots of manual and automatic settings even for a photo novice like myself I'm taking some pretty awsome pics. It also does videos.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    Which Rebel? There are two -- the 8MP and the 12MP. I reallllllllly want the 12MP but its like $2800 just for the body haha. But they had the 8MP at the same store I just bought my new powershot from and the body, lens and a kit (lens cleaner, extra battery, 1GB memory card, case, 5 year warranty) all for $1100. I would have got that one instead of my powershot but didn't have enough money left on the loan they gave HJ after he bought his laptop so I settled for the powershot for now to "hold me over" hehe
    I think you answered your own question. My original post stated that I just spent $1,000. Therefore, it is the 8 MP.