Thread: What do you look for in a good trainer?

Question What do you look for in a good trainer?

How do you research for a good trainer? I am interested in putting my 10 month pup in obediance classes but am not sure what qualifies a good trainer. What tickets do i look for?, do they have to have show dogs? , What are basic rates?, how do i know that they are good trainers? There are so many of them in the phone book do i go by that? I live in canada my dog is ridgeback and needs to be trained to obey me when there are other dogs and people around. Please help!

for my dogs,i paid a one time fee of only $75,and i could go for asl ong as i want!
    It sounds like your dog has to be in beginners class,i've heard the Petsmart has good classes,but im not sure if you want to go there.Just call up a few places and see what theyre rates are,ans if they have a website you can look at.i would probably recommend calling a few places that sound good,and ask them all the questions that you need to know.
    Where do you live in Canada?

You might try the Association of Pet Dog Trainers. They have some wonderful guidelines on choosing a pet dog trainer. They also have a search engine where you can search for trainers in their area. Here is the link:

http://www.apdt.com/trainers-and-own...-a-trainer.htm

A couple of things I would look for in a trainer.

1. The trainer should allow you to sit in on an existing class - if they don't, I wouldn't trust them. Most good trainers are more than happy to have potential clients in their classes. Ask for a sample agenda (although don't be surprised if it is tentative - many times trainers have to rethink their objectives based on the class dynamic)

2. Look for a trainer that uses positive methods only. It has been scientifically proven that dogs retain skills better using positive rather than negative reinforcement. If the trainer uses Kohler (sp?) methods or the jerk and pull methods of the past, I would look elsewhere.

3. Petsmart training classes depends on the experience of the trainer. Many times they hire people and train them themselves. It is a good place for a new trainer to start, but many times they lack the experience to deal with any behavior issues you might have. If you decide to go that route, ask a lot of questions and ask for references from other attendees.

Good luck in your search.

The website Clara posted is a good place to start.

Don't leave your dog with a trainer or at a training facility, you should be able to attend and participate in the whole process. The trainer is actually teaching you how to teach your dog. If a trainer says they use "unconventional" methods, run. If a trainer's methods make you uncomfortable or the trainer gives you a bad vibe, end the session. Different dogs require different methods of training. Some dogs learn well in a group, some need more one-on-one. Some only need correction and praise, while others are more treat/toy motivated. Prices will vary from trainer to trainer, but for your basic obediance it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

As a trainer, I thought I would add my two cents.

Finding a trainer can be similar to finding a good therapist. There are good ones and bad ones. What works for one doesn't work for all. Any trainer who genuinely has your dogs interest at heart will take time to talk to you and explain their training method. You can determine from that point if you click with the trainer or not. If not, keep looking.

I find that some dog owners already have a perception of training that makes working with them difficult. Basically, I can determine that they will not get a lot out of their training with me. However, there are others who think I am the best trainer they have ever had.

Other considerations:

From your email, I couldn't tell if you were looking for individual classes or group classes. My suggestion is group classes for socialization and training and the cost should run about $85.00 - $110.00 for a 7 to 8 week class. The first class should take place after a one on one consultation with the trainer.

An experienced trainer is highly recommended. Most local dog clubs offer obedience classes and their experienced club members hold the classes. When I state experienced, I am referring to people who have or do compete in obedience trails with there dogs. There is no replacement for an experienced trainer who has gone through the ropes too. In these cases, they may or may not be certified by the association of dog trainers but don't for an instant think they are not qualified to teach. Ask them what training they have done personally with their dogs.

I personally prefer clicker training. I have done many methods over the years including Koehler (pop and choke) to positive (food motivation) to now clicking (click and treat). Clicking is the most friendly form of training and dogs respond so much faster in learning when clear consise signals are given to them.

Don'ts:

Never let a trainer yell at your dog. If they resort to this then they don't know how to train. I have been walking through pet stores while training classes are being held and the trainer is yelling "NO" or some other negative command. This is ineffective training.

Never let a trainer choke your dog or ask you to choke your dog.

Never let the trainer take your dog from you for any other purpose than to show you how to get your dog to respond to you in a positive manner.

Good luck in your adventure. A trained dog is a loved dog and a welcome part of society.