Well we're not completely out of the clear, but we are making progress with Misty. At 6lbs, I started pushing water like crazy and started trying various types of soft canned food. I finally found a few she liked, and some she LOVED. Her favorites were the Wellness 98% meat cans- and though they're not for puppies per se and are normally used as a topper, she would scarf it down like there was no tomorrow. I was honestly at the point where I didn't care what she ate, just that she ate something. We got her up to 8lbs, then to 11. We took her back to the vet Friday for a follow-up and she was up to 12.8! I was really surprised to see that! We have started to transition her from the canned food back to Wellness and Orijen. She still gets about 1/3 can a day to entice her to eat, but most days she picks out the soft food and then pieces on Kody's a little throughout the day. It didn't seem like she was eating all that much again until I took her to the vet and they weighed her. Guess she's piecing on Kody's more than I thought! Since she's been eating more, her energy has started to come back. She still takes puppy-naps throughout the day, but I think it's normal for puppies to have short spurts of energy followed by a little nap. We've been working on housebreaking alot, but still having accidents at 2+ times a day. Her stool is still runny, diarrhea like, but she is gaining weight now. Still pushing water, mixed with Pedialite so she won't dehydrate. Some of the problem may be with the food, though. I'm still trying to find something that both dogs can eat (since she pieces all day on Kody's) that doesn't make them gassy/diarrhea-like. I don't know if that's all of it or not, she still may be harboring the sickness some. I don't know. Sadly, the vetrinarian is pretty much no help on this (which I'll discuss more in a moment).

The vetrinarian believes that she had Giardia- an intestinal parasite that the vet thinks she picked up at the breeder's. http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2102&aid=739 What baffles me about that though is vetrinarian never did any tests to see if she had it. He said that it was too hard to interpret the test results because you could get false positives, etc. In fact, he *never*, throughout this whole process, tested her stool. I was nearly screaming at him over the phone one day because of this. He said, "Well whether it's positive or negative I'd still recommend the same treatment". Grr! He also was the one who told us at 6lbs that we should put her down. Didn't wanna try treatment, didn't want to test- just wanted to put a 9 week puppy down???? It's time for a new vetrinarian, ASAP. The more I think about the whole thing, the madder I get. I wonder how many other dog owners have been told this who just listened and didn't question him, thinking that "he's the vet, he should know, right?" I wish there was a B.B.B. for Vetrinarians- or somewhere I could post about my experience with him to try to warn others. Does anyone know of such a thing?

Anyways back to Misty. She is doing much better, but we're not out of the clear yet. Still need to figure out why she's still getting diarrhea all of the sudden. And also, need to find a new vetrinarian.