Thread: Gun control discussion

Hybrid View

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I don't think outlawing ALL guns is the issue - just the type. What does your nice next door neighbor need an assault rifle, machine gun, or glock for??? And why does he need 6000 rounds of ammo and full riot gear? Is he really protecting a secret Ft Knox in an underground bunker on his property???

ETA: My ex was a cop for most of his working life, and he always told me that if someone was trying to break into the house, and I decided to shoot to kill - then be sure to drag the criminal into the house BEFORE I called the cops. Of course it was a joke between us, but one that had a lot of truth behind it! I didn't have or want a gun, anyway!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

There have been a lot of shootings on the streets of Chicago this summer. According to the papers the hot weather just makes everything more tense and stressful, added to other factors like gangs, drugs, poverty, family problems, un- and under-employment. The city acknowledges that people who shouldn't be able to get guns can still get them outside of the proper steps. They are trying to increase summer programs for kids like sports, arts, and school tutoring by working with the park district, community organizations and churches. They are also trying to create more summer jobs, both through the city departments and private employers, for older kids. The gangs take them in younger and younger, which is tragic. There is sad news every week about people being shot. Not just in the city of Chicago but some of the suburbs as well where there are the same problems. I think it will take a combination of the right gun laws, plus action against gangs and drugs and improved community services to turn this around. It is just very sad, whether it is someone who goes on a shooting spree like the one in Colorado or constant gun violence every week like we have in parts of Chicagoland.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I don't think outlawing ALL guns is the issue - just the type. What does your nice next door neighbor need an assault rifle, machine gun, or glock for??? And why does he need 6000 rounds of ammo and full riot gear? Is he really protecting a secret Ft Knox in an underground bunker on his property???
    A glock? It's just another semi-auto pistol, no different than a Ruger or Smith and Wesson.

Assault rifle or machine gun? For starters, machine guns are already HEAVILY regulated. Assault rifle? could be anything made to look like a military style rifle, form a bb gun on up. Frankly, I could cause more damage with my single shot post civil war rifle than most could with an "assault rifle".

6000 rounds of ammo? When I used to target shoot all the time, that was a couple of months of ammo for me. Are we going to start regulating how much ammo someone buys? Okay, fine, I'll buy reloading supplies and a bunch of pig lead.

Point being, no matter how you regulate, all it does is make it a PITA for law abiding citizens. For every law you come up with, I can find a loophole to exploit. Enforce the laws we have, include psych history in background checks, (would take a HIPPA modification) and let it rest. You cannot have a free society if you regulate to eliminate the actions of the wild points.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    A glock? It's just another semi-auto pistol, no different than a Ruger or Smith and Wesson.

Assault rifle or machine gun? For starters, machine guns are already HEAVILY regulated. Assault rifle? could be anything made to look like a military style rifle, form a bb gun on up. Frankly, I could cause more damage with my single shot post civil war rifle than most could with an "assault rifle".

6000 rounds of ammo? When I used to target shoot all the time, that was a couple of months of ammo for me. Are we going to start regulating how much ammo someone buys? Okay, fine, I'll buy reloading supplies and a bunch of pig lead.

Point being, no matter how you regulate, all it does is make it a PITA for law abiding citizens. For every law you come up with, I can find a loophole to exploit. Enforce the laws we have, include psych history in background checks, (would take a HIPPA modification) and let it rest. You cannot have a free society if you regulate to eliminate the actions of the wild points.
    Pardon my ignorance of the "proper" name for the weapons I was referring to, but I do believe most people here understand my meaning.
    Anything bigger than a 22 pistol (is that correct???), is overkill. JMHO of course.
    And of course since this thread has the potential to get hot, I'm done, since I've stated my opinion and it makes no sense at all for me to beat a dead horse.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Unfortunately, the laws (for any criminal act) do account for "outliers" since this is the portion of the population that commits crimes.
    I agree about the mental health issues; only when these get the attention hear disease, cancer, diabetes, etc. do will progress be made.

In terms of gun control per se: I'm in the "enforce the laws we've got" camp. Most firearm owners are responsible individuals. I like to compare it to having a car and driver's license. Many accidents and fatalities are caused by irresponsible driving behavior, or even unlicensed drivers. For the most part (it isn't perfect) motor vehicle codes work fairly well. If gun laws worked as well maybe we'd have some progress on gun crimes.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post

ETA: My ex was a cop for most of his working life, and he always told me that if someone was trying to break into the house, and I decided to shoot to kill - then be sure to drag the criminal into the house BEFORE I called the cops. Of course it was a joke between us, but one that had a lot of truth behind it! I didn't have or want a gun, anyway!
    One thing that I caught, that may be an error on my part, is the "bulletproof" equipment he was wearing.

I was looking at one of the shipping/purchase receipts that came from the store he was supposed to have purchased them from?

The first item was an "assault vest" which is just vest you can hang/carry things on.

He did have a kelvar helmet, which can stop some bullets.

Another misnomer is the term 'bullet proof' isn't true. Some munitions are defeat body armor unless you are wearing a ceramic or steel insert in the clothing.

Another fun fact?

You can defeat a kelvar vest with a knife if you stab the person wearing it slowly.
    --------------------------------------------

The assault rifle (all guns are 'assaulting' if used against an innocent person) he had can be purchased legally thanks to the expiration of the laws, which, by the way, our prez decided NOT to re-sign into law after he went into office.

We don't know if he had converted the semi into an auto fire weapon (parts are available over the internet) which may have caused the gun to jam.

There are quite a few questions that are unanswered so far.

People and the media just need to know the right ones to ask.

--------------------------------------

I have some loose bricks in the back yard that are looking pretty dangerous to me, what should I do?
    We also don't know if he had done any shooting before the incident.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.