Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: barking problems

barking problems

Hi all,

Does anyone have advice on how to stop dogs from constantly barking? Since the weather is getting nicer and windows are open at night, I don't want to cause trouble around the neighborhood. Thanks!!!

Cathy
    Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter
    or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -- ASPCA

Have you tried spraying water in your dogs face when it barks? It works great for my dogs...I just pick it up and they lay down and cower!

P.S. Is that a shiba inu in your pic? It's small so I can't really tell
    I've been BOO'd!

Thanks for the idea, I've forgotten about that old standby...water. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks again.

BTW, sorry the pic's so tiny but it's not a Shiba Inu although when people see her, some of them suggests that. Sammie's actually a pound puppy (chow/corgi mix).

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    Have you tried spraying water in your dogs face when it barks? It works great for my dogs...I just pick it up and they lay down and cower!

Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter
    or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -- ASPCA

You can try taching your dog to speak. When he learns that command, it's almost as if your setting a limit to its barking. Good luck

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

i have that same problem....my collies nuisance barking. i spray water at hr when she starts to act up, otherwise, i just tell her a firm NO

Why is your dog barking? At something or what?

My beagle, Abbey, loves to bark at nothing--I'm sure it's a bunny or cat or something that she smells, but she will just stand out on the porch (only at night) and bark her head off.
    A distraction is what I use--a whistle or something to get her attention, then she focuses on me. I've also seen things you can use, that send out a noise (humans can't hear it), and it distracts the dog.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

barking at nothing can mean your dog is bored, or has stress, and they take it out on barking. My collie loves to bark at oter dogs but used to bark just for the heck of it!

?!?!?!

Originally posted by wolfsoul

You shouldn't even own any friggin' dogs. Spray water in their face? You're teaching those poor dogs that doing what they do naturally is wrong. It'd be like someone slapping you in the face every time you spoke. That's pathetic - "I just pick it up and they lay down and cower! " For the sake of animals in your reach, I hope you get no more animals. So sad and pathetic ... ...
    "It can't rain all the time." -Eric Draven
    "If you have words, you have power." -Brian

then what do u use to control barking?, spraying a LITTLE bit of water is harmless to the dog!, and it WORKS!, also i kind of agree do u like to see them cower??, spraying water in the face is a big no no for me, it can hurt the dog!
    Last edited by GoldenRetrLuver; 04-13-2003 at 11:32 AM.

I think first you need to figure out WHY the dog is barking before you start spraying water in their face. And I certainly wouldn't spray them in the face EVERY time they bark, as barking is what dogs do.

Barking is a natural thing. It seems your dog is barking for no reason. When your dog is barking, try to pick up a ball and play. If he follows, your dog may just be barking for attention or because he's bored.

I don't like to spray water in a dogs' face. I remmeber when we got Primo (my dog of 1 day...LONG story) the breeder (although she wasn't good at all) told us if he misbehaved to slam a rolled up newspaper hard hard on the floor next to him. After we did that, the dog was terrified. We did it once with Mickey btu saw it was just scarying the dog, not disciplining him.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

I sprayed Leather because she barks at nothing. People walk in the door, she gets excited, and she barks, ok, that's alright, I wouldn't spray her for that. But when she barks non-stop after they've been there for half an hour, that's enough, There's a baby next door, we don't need barking, ecspecially when there isn't anything to bark at. She also barks to get attention, even when she's getting it! Usually, just telling her to be quiet will work. But when she doesn't stop, I pick up the water bottle, and she quits. You have to remember that I don't own the house, and the people that do don't tolerate barking, and Leather has a very loud voice.

When I said that they cower, I was only explaining the effectivness of spraying, not that I like to see them cower before me like I'm torturing them.
    Last edited by wolfsoul; 04-13-2003 at 03:20 PM.
    I've been BOO'd!

You shouldn't even own any friggin' dogs. Spray water in their face? You're teaching those poor dogs that doing what they do naturally is wrong. It'd be like someone slapping you in the face every time you spoke. That's pathetic - "I just pick it up and they lay down and cower! " For the sake of animals in your reach, I hope you get no more animals. So sad and pathetic ... ...
    And you shouldn't be so close-minded, and should wait for someone to say things in defense before you make accusations without knowing why I used the spray bottle! I don't even spray anymore, I just have the bottle handy so when they bark for attention or just for the heck of it I can pick it up and they will stop. I grew up on the idea of a spray bottle, it was drilled into my head, and I like the idea. Maybe you were raised differently, but you shouldn't tell me that I shouldn't have animal friends because of it. That hurts. That is truly sad and pathetic, not the fact that I find barking for unessecary reasons a hazard to my living quarters and to others tolerances.

How can people say that making a dog do something other than is in it's nature is wrong?! I here complaints all the time! "How do I make my dog stop barking? How do I make my dog stop digging?" How do I make my dog go to the bathroom outside?" How do I get my dog to stop begging?" How can I get my dog to stop jumping the fence?" How can I get my dog to wear a leash?"
    These are all examples of asking how to get your dog to do something that is against it's nature. Should using a leash be cruel, because it hurts the dogs neck, chokes, them, confines them, doesn't let it run free and happy? No, even if the dog is not happy, it benefitsboth it and the owner. I wouldn't like to see my stepmother and my dog thrown out on the street with nowhere to live because my dog has a compulsive barking disorder.
    I've been BOO'd!

First of all, it doesn't matter if you don't spray them anymore. Just the fact that you have in the past and now the poor dogs react to the bottle. Second, I don't care if it hurts that I said you shouldn't have any animals - because - you shouldn't! If you're worried that damn much of what your neighbors think, or if it's a risk that you might get thrown out, you shouldn't have a dog. So then, you restrict it even more, to save your own ass.

Third, I don't care about the other "complaints." That isn't the subject here with you, now is it? Using a leash is for the safety of the dog, if worn properly, it doesn't harm the dog. Spraying water in the dog's face because, OH MY GOD, IT BARKED!!! is not at all for it's own safety. Get a friggin' clue.
    "It can't rain all the time." -Eric Draven
    "If you have words, you have power." -Brian