Thread: Computer help? Internet/Mac-related

Computer help? Internet/Mac-related

Okay, I have a problem.

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro.

My internet won't let me open yahoo, google, netflix, any links that someone sends me on facebook, and apple.com. I can do google searches or go to apple discussions though if I link it off a google search. I can click my search results sometimes and sometimes I can't.

My computer has been restarted, virus scanned, malware scanned, whatever else you can think of. It's just me having the problem. No one in the house is having it. The router has been reset with no luck.

Any ideas?

I'm going to try a different internet connection later today and see if it's a comcast/my laptop conflict or if it's really my laptop. Gonna run another virus scan while I'm at work...

It's driving me nuts though. I can't check my email or watch netflix and it's making me mad.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

If you link me to a website I probably can't open it... lol
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

We are glad you can still post here! Does anyone else ever use your MacBook? Any chance someone has set "parental controls" to block certain sites? What happens when you try to go to them?
    I've Been Frosted

Karen said my only options to. If you can't figure it out I suggest an apple store visit. It usually turns out to be something stupid lol

Can't you open Mac's e-mail program, either?

I'm on a Mac and have problems with FB, too. Can't open any Flash movies.

Try and run Disk Utility.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    We are glad you can still post here! Does anyone else ever use your MacBook? Any chance someone has set "parental controls" to block certain sites? What happens when you try to go to them?
    No, I am the only one that uses it. When I go to them I get "Problem loading page. The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Karen said my only options to. If you can't figure it out I suggest an apple store visit. It usually turns out to be something stupid lol
    It has to be something stupid because everything else is working fine and I don't understand why I can only access certain websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Can't you open Mac's e-mail program, either?

I'm on a Mac and have problems with FB, too. Can't open any Flash movies.

Try and run Disk Utility.
    Yes I can open my mail app.

I'll run disk utility and see if that helps.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Oh, one more thing... have you checked for software updates?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Oh, one more thing... have you checked for software updates?
    Yes, I think that was one of the first things I tried too. I'm still on Snow leopard, I wonder if that has anything to do with it :/

So I went to reply to a Craigslist ad and used the reply with Yahoo link and it lets me get into my email that way
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13 View Post
    Yes, I think that was one of the first things I tried too. I'm still on Snow leopard, I wonder if that has anything to do with it :/

So I went to reply to a Craigslist ad and used the reply with Yahoo link and it lets me get into my email that way

i had that problem recently, and it was my Internet Security Program. It deemed certain sites as bad and wouldn't let me load the entire page if at all.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    i had that problem recently, and it was my Internet Security Program. It deemed certain sites as bad and wouldn't let me load the entire page if at all.
    You are my hero!

So, avast's webshield was currently blocking all those sites. I turned it off and voila.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan