Thread: bunny question - playtime

bunny question - playtime

How long should Benjamin be out of his cage every day? He usually has 1 hour playtime every day, and sometimes another shorter playtime too. But if I don't have time for that, he at leasts hops around my room for 15 min while I clean his cage.

Is that enough for him, or should he be getting out more?

Oh, and of course I take him out for petting too.

edit: oh, and I have another question. Is a cage with a wire bottom okay for him? I read that it was, but everyone who comes over to see him asks doesn't it hurt his feet. There is a wire bottom, and a metal tray below it (I put newspaper in the tray, and change it every day. It usually is just filled with hay that falls through though - he uses his litterpan mostly)

Thanks!

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

Most people say a half hour is good. But that should probly be the VERY least.

edit: Some people say it is, and that it's more sanitary. I would make sure he has LOTS of places to get his feet off the wire. Large piecves of cardboard can work. Or you can use wood. Once he is litter trained you could buy something that covers the whole bottom of his cage so he doesn't have to stand on the wire.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Okay, so the 15 minute days aren't good. I'll just play with him for another 15 min after I clean his cage then, if I don't have enough time for a long playtime.

and I'll get some cardboard for the bottom too. He's mostly litter trained already. He's a smart bun bun.

Thats SO great to hear! I bet he is one smart bun!! I'm sure the 15 mins day won't hurt him if there are only a few of them, but I wouldn't recomend it. I try to give my boys at least 2 hours every day of out of cage time. Have you ever thought about trying a puppy play pen? It won't give him as much room but it will also keep him safe and he could play without you having to be there.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Bun

Hello,
    I heard that it wasn't good to have them on wire bottom...On a website it said it hurt their feet because they don't have pads on the bottom of them. Cardboard is good, but make sure your bun bun isn't a little chewer! He'll chew it up! Well Have a great day!
    -*Melissa*-

Thank you both! I like the playpen idea. Then I could bring him outside too! And Benjamin isn't too bad of a chewer, so I think cardboard would be okay.

My bun gets at least 45 minutes a day. Usually closer to 2-3 hours though. It varies depending on if I'm home or at school. And I've heard and read many things about the wire bottoms. Eeyore gets a "blankie" that covers just a little under half his cage. We usually take my old sweatshirts or bath towels and cut them to put in there. He's not a chewer at all so its not a big deal. It makes a nice little bed for him and he LOVES them. If you try to move them, he'll hop right on it and won't get off! He loves his woobies!
    Jessica

Thank you so much Kay for this great Sig!!