Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Zippy-Kat's K'Cee Kitty Get Well Soon Thread

I hope she'll continue to improve. More prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Just in the neighborhood so I thought I'd pop in.

The Kissie monster's progressive illness is well... progressing. She's been on daily fluids for sometime now and is a much skinnier version of her old self. I'm no longer restricting her to a prescription diet; if she wants it and (the bigger hurdle) if she'll eat it, she can have it. Because of the daily fluids, the vet wanted her to have vitamins. We tried oral which she immediately threw up - at the time, we thought this was due to taste. He then decided have me try a B complex injection (into her fluids). Not only did she immediately throw up, she had a reaction and is now mostly blind. My poor vet was just as shocked as I was and said he's never ever had -or even heard of- a reaction like this. He was going to call the company and talk to them about it as well, I haven't heard anything back from him on that.

This past Tuesday (reaction happened last Thursday), I hauled her back in to have her blood pressure checked. (For peace of mind, mostly. I've heard word of a cat's retinas detaching if the blood pressure is up.) After several readings, he took the average and determined it was slightly high but it could just be from her being nervous. He went ahead and put her on a low dose of a blood pressure medicine as he said it would help pull blood into the kidneys and maybe perk her up a bit. I can't really tell a difference yet but it's only been three days. We're suppose to go back for a retest in 10-14 days. At that time, I'm going to go ahead and have BUN and Potassium rechecked (a little earlier than our normal schedule but oh well). Surprisingly, her blood work has been only slightly high during this whole ordeal (with exception to potassium, it's been normal).

It sure is hard to watch her go from being the self-assured haughty princess to timidly walking by walls, over reaching with front feet to feel what's in front of her.... especially when this change was literally overnight.

It's a new normal - a little hard to get use to- but we'll adjust.

I am so sorry to hear this, Tonya. You and Miss K'Cee are in my prayers for sure.

Do you have a room where you can keep her in when you are not home? My Grandma kitty is blind now and she stays in my bedroom. She does bump into things some but she can find her potty, food, water and even still get up and down on my bed by herself. Only being in one room would limit the confusion and risk of her hurting herself when you can't watch her.

I hope that if her blindness was caused by the vitamins, her sight might come back or get better after a while.
    Luvies and prayers on the way for you both.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by zippy-kat View Post
    The Kissie monster's progressive illness is well... progressing. She's been on daily fluids for sometime now and is a much skinnier version of her old self. I'm no longer restricting her to a prescription diet; if she wants it and (the bigger hurdle) if she'll eat it, she can have it. Because of the daily fluids, the vet wanted her to have vitamins. We tried oral which she immediately threw up - at the time, we thought this was due to taste. He then decided have me try a B complex injection (into her fluids). Not only did she immediately throw up, she had a reaction and is now mostly blind. My poor vet was just as shocked as I was and said he's never ever had -or even heard of- a reaction like this. He was going to call the company and talk to them about it as well, I haven't heard anything back from him on that.

This past Tuesday (reaction happened last Thursday), I hauled her back in to have her blood pressure checked. (For peace of mind, mostly. I've heard word of a cat's retinas detaching if the blood pressure is up.) After several readings, he took the average and determined it was slightly high but it could just be from her being nervous. He went ahead and put her on a low dose of a blood pressure medicine as he said it would help pull blood into the kidneys and maybe perk her up a bit. I can't really tell a difference yet but it's only been three days. We're suppose to go back for a retest in 10-14 days. At that time, I'm going to go ahead and have BUN and Potassium rechecked (a little earlier than our normal schedule but oh well). Surprisingly, her blood work has been only slightly high during this whole ordeal (with exception to potassium, it's been normal).

It sure is hard to watch her go from being the self-assured haughty princess to timidly walking by walls, over reaching with front feet to feel what's in front of her.... especially when this change was literally overnight.

It's a new normal - a little hard to get use to- but we'll adjust.
    Tonya, I'm so sorry to hear this. I guess you're referring to the vitamin B12 shots. I've given them to both my RB Starr and my Ziggy and they really helped them. I've also never heard of a cat having a bad reaction to them. I'm so sorry to hear that this caused K'Cee to go blind. It's so hard to watch our animals just age but it's even harder to watch them go downhill when they're battling an illness. I sure hope that she'll start feeling better and at least stabilize so she can spend more time with you and have a good quality of life. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care. ((((HUGS))))

Lots of love and prayers and good wishes and warm thoughts are coming to sweet Miss K'Cee and you from us.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    I am so sorry to hear this, Tonya. You and Miss K'Cee are in my prayers for sure.

Do you have a room where you can keep her in when you are not home? My Grandma kitty is blind now and she stays in my bedroom. She does bump into things some but she can find her potty, food, water and even still get up and down on my bed by herself. Only being in one room would limit the confusion and risk of her hurting herself when you can't watch her.

I hope that if her blindness was caused by the vitamins, her sight might come back or get better after a while.
    Luvies and prayers on the way for you both.
    Hi MOFF,
    I'm sorry to hear about Grandma losing her sight, too. I'm glad she can still get around. K'Cee hasn't jumped on the bed since this happened and she climbs (*cringe* it drives me nuts but I don't have the heart to get after her) up the arm of the recliner to get in it. Luckily she still knows where her food, water, and litterbox is and seems to get around well for that.

The vet gave her a steroid shot and it seemed to help a bit. I don't know if she can have another or not, I may call and ask on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    Tonya, I'm so sorry to hear this. I guess you're referring to the vitamin B12 shots. I've given them to both my RB Starr and my Ziggy and they really helped them. I've also never heard of a cat having a bad reaction to them. I'm so sorry to hear that this caused K'Cee to go blind. It's so hard to watch our animals just age but it's even harder to watch them go downhill when they're battling an illness. I sure hope that she'll start feeling better and at least stabilize so she can spend more time with you and have a good quality of life. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care. ((((HUGS))))
    Hi KAK,
    I think he called it a B-complex but it was a vitamin B shot is all I know. We've had cats in the past have them and they didn't respond like this either. Like I said, the vet was completely surprised too but as nothing else had changed, he said we'd have to chalk it up to the shot. What he was calling the company for was to find out what the carrier liquid was and to see if anyone else had reports similar to mine. One of those fluke things, I guess.

Thank you all for the warm wishes and prayers, we can definitely use them right now.

Aww, give her a kiss on the top of that fluffy head from me! As long as her hearing is still good, and her sense of smell, I am betting she will continue to adjust okay. That is, as long as you don't move the litter box or water dish - the food I am sure she would find regardless of where you put it!
    I've Been Frosted

There is only one Swamp Kat. K'Cee is getting lots of love and care thanks to you. I hope she feels a bit better and has much more happy time with you.

How old is K'Cee?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

She's 10, Catty1.

as you know - as always lots of love and prayers sent over the miles to you both.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Lots of love and prayers and good wishes and warm thoughts are coming to sweet Miss K'Cee and you from us.

From here too
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

It's hard to see them age. My beloved kitty, Mac, is now about 15 and is a much thinner version of his younger self. I know all about the "boney" look. Mac suffers from hyperthyroid and is on meds twice a day. Yet he still rules the roost among my cats, so I guess that's good. Give precious K'Cee Kitty kisses and belly rubs from me. The most important thing is she is still loved dearly and that is sometimes the best medicine ever!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

So sorry to hear this. Hard to believe she is 10 she still has a kitten look to her, such a pretty girl. Thinking of you and K'Cee.

We've had a long week and an even longer night. It is with great sadness I write that my Pretty Pretty Princess K'Cee will be going to the bridge this morning. I am absolutely heartsick.

I am so very sorry.

Godspeed, darling K'Cee. You are deeply beloved and loving.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery