Thread: Random thoughts

Hybrid View

I heard on news radio today that in Illinois there is no restriction on the size of the campaign sign(s) you can put up in your yard, and no restriction on how long before or after an election you can have them on display. Does that mean I could have a five foot high "Shadrach Bond for Governor" sign? He was the first governor of the state of Illinois and was succeeded by Edward Coles in 1822. They tend to "grow" close to the berm as election day gets closer (the primary is March 18th).
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I heard on news radio today that in Illinois there is no restriction on the size of the campaign sign(s) you can put up in your yard, and no restriction on how long before or after an election you can have them on display. Does that mean I could have a five foot high "Shadrach Bond for Governor" sign? He was the first governor of the state of Illinois and was succeeded by Edward Coles in 1822. They tend to "grow" close to the berm as election day gets closer (the primary is March 18th).
    Hee hee - I am pretty sue there's some statute against electing long-dead individuals!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hee hee - I am pretty sue there's some statute against electing long-dead individuals!

They might not be able to run for office but they have been known to rise up to vote in close elections.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm so mad at GM right now. I have a 2005 Saturn Ion which is subject to two different recalls - one for the ignition switch and one for power steering (with which I've already had a problem and had a repair made). GM's Web site asserts that the cars remain safe to drive, but I'm not entirely sure about that. I just went from 73,999 to 74,000 miles yesterday and I'm hoping to get at least another 18 months with this car. GM waited almost a year before they went public with this and I think they're still not being totally honest about it.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

I'd be more upset with the politicians who allowed them to shed any trace of responsibility through the reorganization.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I've seen a few license plates these past few days that have given me a smile ...
    HALDOL 5 (you must be a psych nurse! Does your other license plate say Ativan 2!?)
    XL MINI (on a Mini Countryman)
    ZPD DUDA (Why didn't I think of that? One of my favorite Disney songs!)
    LDY BUG (on a red VW Beetle)

I've seen a few license plates these past few days that have given me a smile ...
    HALDOL 5 (you must be a psych nurse! Does your other license plate say Ativan 2!?)
    XL MINI (on a Mini Countryman)
    ZPD DUDA (Why didn't I think of that? One of my favorite Disney songs!)
    LDY BUG (on a red VW Beetle)
    I saw two more today that gave me a HUGE smile...

GSD K9
    K9 PAW !!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I'd be more upset with the politicians who allowed them to shed any trace of responsibility through the reorganization.
    I'm still so mad about this whole thing ... with GM, with the government (Let's hold hearings!) and with the local service department from whom I can't get clear information. I heard on the radio that GM is in the process of implementing a system under which any employee can speak up without fear of retaliation if they perceive a problem such as the faulty ignition switches. Apparently somewhere within GM it was known that senior management was aware of the potentially defective ignition switches, but allowed the cars to be sold anyway instead of correcting the problem at that time. And that nothing was done even though it would have cost around $2 per vehicle to make the change to a not-potentially-defective ignition switch. You mean to tell me that in as large a company as GM - an automotive industry icon - there is not already a culture of "if you see something, say something"? People died because of a decision that was made about these ignition switches. When my current Saturn gives up the ghost, I am done with GM.

I'm still so mad about this whole thing ... with GM, with the government (Let's hold hearings!) and with the local service department from whom I can't get clear information. I heard on the radio that GM is in the process of implementing a system under which any employee can speak up without fear of retaliation if they perceive a problem such as the faulty ignition switches. Apparently somewhere within GM it was known that senior management was aware of the potentially defective ignition switches, but allowed the cars to be sold anyway instead of correcting the problem at that time. And that nothing was done even though it would have cost around $2 per vehicle to make the change to a not-potentially-defective ignition switch. You mean to tell me that in as large a company as GM - an automotive industry icon - there is not already a culture of "if you see something, say something"? People died because of a decision that was made about these ignition switches. When my current Saturn gives up the ghost, I am done with GM.
    Got a second notice about the ignition recall. Heard on the radio that some GM vehicles from the same model years are subject to another recall addressing power steering. I called the dealer's service department to try and find out if I could have the work done for both recalls at the same time. THey have no information on the power steering recall. Right now they are primarily ordering the ignition parts for each individual recalled vehicle when the owners call to inquire about the work. I couldn't believe it when I heard that. If you know you're going to be making the same repair on a LOT of cars, would you not arrange to have multiple units of those parts on hand in advance, rather than ordering them individually?! It takes 10-14 days to get the parts from the point they place the order and they only place an order when they have sufficient volume. Then, when they receive your parts, they call to schedule your appointment. This just seems bass-ackwards to me. My car has 75,000 miles and I'm hoping for at least another 50,000 before it has to be replaced. I get the impression that GM is still scrambling to address this whole thing, rather than planning and then communicating an organized response.