Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Advice...

Need Some Advice...

As most of you know, I'm currently majoring in Animal Science. My intentions originally were to go to vet school and be a vet. Well, since then I've done a lot of thinking.

Vet school is $20,000+ a year, plus you can't work and be a full time vet student so more than likely you're going to have to take out double your loans to live on. I don't think I want to be that much in debt in addition to the $20,000 + I would already have to pay for undergrad.

Well anyway, I'm feeling pretty miserable about school right now. I hate going and I hate going to all my classes. I'm not doing well in any of them because I don't have the motivation to anymore. Basically I wish I was either at home or in another college because I can't stand UT anymore.

Well yesterday I looked into veterinary technology schools. I've had lots of people tell me that its not going to be worth my time because I won't get a decent pay rate and they're not needed in the area. That doesn't really deter me though, I can always move. So I started an application for a vet tech program about an hour north of me. I'm gonna finish it up today and get my transcripts ordered within the next week.

My problem is this though. Should I finish out this semester, or should I go ahead and withdraw from the university? I'm pretty sure I can get accepted at one of the vet tech schools and I need some time off anyway before I start this next two years of college before I go crazy. So, what should I do?

I would put your application in for vet tech school and finish out your semester at the University. Jmo

My question is, WHY do you hate going to your classes? What makes you so unmotivated?

You don't have to tell me twice that being a science major isn't a full-time, sometimes frustrating, commitment, but personally, I hate seein' anyone's dreams going down the tubes. I really don't want this to come off as rude, Bri, but this just seems like 'the easy way out'. Reason being, I know you've always wanted to be a Vet, not really a vet tech. I don't blame you for worrying about the whole loans thing, either, 'cause I think we all do.

But, I think you should think about this long and hard before becoming committed to Vet Tech school, about what you REALLY want I mean. I would encourage you to apply, but I think you should finish the semester out at UT so you at least have more credits to fall back on.

I hope that didn't come off as rude or harsh, I'm just being as honest as possible here.

I can look at it two ways.

My first thought: Finish out your semester first before starting something else. Later on it might look good that you finished the semster rather than quitting mid-way. If you jump ship mid semester, it might appear that you aren't reliable.... just saying

One other thing... IF you quit mid semester, is it too late to get back your tuition?. I would think it's too late to get money back. Therefore, I would finish the semester.

Of course it's up to you. Let us know what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    My question is, WHY do you hate going to your classes? What makes you so unmotivated?

You don't have to tell me twice that being a science major isn't a full-time, sometimes frustrating, commitment, but personally, I hate seein' anyone's dreams going down the tubes. I really don't want this to come off as rude, Bri, but this just seems like 'the easy way out'. Reason being, I know you've always wanted to be a Vet, not really a vet tech. I don't blame you for worrying about the whole loans thing, either, 'cause I think we all do.

But, I think you should think about this long and hard before becoming committed to Vet Tech school, about what you REALLY want I mean. I would encourage you to apply, but I think you should finish the semester out at UT so you at least have more credits to fall back on.

I hope that didn't come off as rude or harsh, I'm just being as honest as possible here.
    I don't want to be a vet anymore. I've known that for a while. I hate science and I am really terrible at it. I don't want to spend the next 4 years after graduating being miserable and even more stressed out.

Vet techs can do almost everything a vet can. I just want to do something with animals, that's more important than anything.

I hate going to my classes because I don't care anymore. I know I'm not going to vet school and I don't want to. I can't even do anything else I want to do with my animal science degree and it feels useless to continue it when I could go ahead and transfer and start the program I want to be in.

You're not coming off as rude, lol so don't worry.

I just find it really hard to commit myself to the rest of the semester even though I know it'd look better. I just want to be elsewhere. I'm tired of UT, tired of Animal Science, tired of the people there and it's just time for a change of scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by kaycountrygal View Post
    I can look at it two ways.

My first thought: Finish out your semester first before starting something else. Later on it might look good that you finished the semster rather than quitting mid-way. If you jump ship mid semester, it might appear that you aren't reliable.... just saying

One other thing... IF you quit mid semester, is it too late to get back your tuition?. I would think it's too late to get money back. Therefore, I would finish the semester.

Of course it's up to you. Let us know what you do.
    I thought about that, but would it look worse for quitting or worse for finishing with bad grades? I was trying to debate which would have more importance.

I think it's too late to get a refund, but everything was paid through loans and scholarships, so I'm not sure if that'd have any effect or not.

I'm just going through a lot of things in life now that would be better managed without school in the way as well, one reason I'm taking a while off (probably till fall 2013 or spring 2014) before I venture into vet tech school.

Do finish out the semester. Think of it as proving to yourself you can stick with something even if it is hard. It will also look better to any future employers that you have the gumption to stick with something, and the semester is too far along to get your money back anyway. Some of the classes you are currently taking likely can be applied to the vet tech program in some way, and lessen your load once you get there.

You can do this, Bri, I promise. It needn't be fun, and it will be hard, but you will come out of it stronger. Think of it as climbing a mountain, the view from the top, the accomplishment of sticking to it, and finishing it, and doing your best will be worth every painful moment. I promise!

What are your classes you are currently taking? I bet there are people here on Pet Talk who can help you with any of them, yes, even the sciences. Me, I was an illustration major, so I am good for help with creative stuff, but others can help with maths and sciences! Also use Kahn Academy - it explains stuff in videos, and is easier to follow for lots of people than reading things in a book, and it is free, and available 24/7 online!
    I've Been Frosted

I think you and my youngest are the same year in college which would make you a junior? You need to finish your undergrad you are this far into it, you can look at changing majors to see how far behind you may get but sorry if you were my daughter I would freak out if you basically wanted to drop out, you need to finish your undergrad you are over half over.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Bri - don't get mad and take this the wrong way - but does your boyfriend figure into this equation? I mean - you came on here recently and said you were engaged, and now you want to drop out of school. Could it be you are thinking no further ahead in life, than to be with him at all cost? Your career and education will be there for you forever. Can you say the same about him? I hope you're not throwing your education out the window for the sake of love that could be gone tomorrow, even tho you think right now that it will last forever. Reach deep inside and think long and hard before you make any drastic decisions. And as always - I wish you the best.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Yes, I'm a junior. My mom isn't being supportive of anything right now because she's expecting me to drop out (which I don't consider this dropping out since I'm still going to college after a break even if I didn't finish this semester.

I'm taking animal nutrition, animal health management, judging and a night class about water.

Michael doesn't have anything to do with my decision. He's pretty adamant about me finishing school.

I don't want to switch my major solely for the reason my university offers nothing of interest to me. That's my big reason for transferring.

I still don't know what I want to do with this whole situation. I just feel it'd be better to quit while I'm ahead than to let my gpa suffer even though I know it'd be better to finish out the semester.

I'm sorry to hear how unhappy and frustrated you are right now. It sounds like you're already burnt out on your college classes and school work. I was almost in the same situation as you were many many years ago. After high school I thought I wanted to become registered nurse so I enrolled in a 2 year nursing program. It wasn't at all what I expected and it was just such a heavy work load. I found out that many people take 4 years to do in what I was trying to do in just 2 years. I became very unhappy and I was also making bad grades. My parents were moving to CA so I decided to also move there. My mom seemed to want me to continue with the nursing program in CA so I did take one more course but I later decided that it just wasn't for me. I had always loved animals and now I wish that I had become a vet tech instead. I ended up going back to college in S.C. with my friends and getting a B.S. in Psychology and a minor in Socialogy. I just wanted to graduate with some kind of a degree. I never liked school. I now work in a dental lab which is very hard work for little pay.

I would try to finish out the semester and then you can take some time off. I would also try to find out all of the options out there for careers that work with animals. You could also do some volunteer work at animals shelters etc. during your time off. Some vet offices also let people do volunteer work if they know that this is something that you'd be interested in pursuing. Whatever you decide to do, you do need to be happy so then you will hopefully enjoy your career in the future. What about online courses? This might be something for you to also consider. Good luck.

While it may be hard, animal nutrition could help you a lot in the future, and getting that one under your belt wold be a very good thing, as no matter what you are going for a career dealing with animals. Keeping slogging and finish this semester no matter what, okay? I know people who dropped out at a similar point, and they all regret it now, years later. After you graduate, I don't think any future employers will care much about your GPA - just that you completed the courses successfully.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13 View Post
    I hate going and I hate going to all my classes. I'm not doing well in any of them because I don't have the motivation to anymore.
    I would get a handle on how your grades are per class. Drop any class you would fail if the situation is THAT bad, then spend the time finishing up the others. You will have a lighter class load, and this may help you bring the other grades up.

It would also be interesting FOR YOU to know if the classes you need to drop under this scenario would be of any use as a vet tech or not; and if the classes you can finish will as well. IF you stick with classes which will help you in the new goal, AND you have a lighter load, you have time (I think?) to bring those grades up.

Meantime apply to the tech school and see how that app goes.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I'm sorry to hear how unhappy and frustrated you are right now. It sounds like you're already burnt out on your college classes and school work. I was almost in the same situation as you were many many years ago. After high school I thought I wanted to become registered nurse so I enrolled in a 2 year nursing program. It wasn't at all what I expected and it was just such a heavy work load. I found out that many people take 4 years to do in what I was trying to do in just 2 years. I became very unhappy and I was also making bad grades. My parents were moving to CA so I decided to also move there. My mom seemed to want me to continue with the nursing program in CA so I did take one more course but I later decided that it just wasn't for me. I had always loved animals and now I wish that I had become a vet tech instead. I ended up going back to college in S.C. with my friends and getting a B.S. in Psychology and a minor in Socialogy. I just wanted to graduate with some kind of a degree. I never liked school. I now work in a dental lab which is very hard work for little pay.

I would try to finish out the semester and then you can take some time off. I would also try to find out all of the options out there for careers that work with animals. You could also do some volunteer work at animals shelters etc. during your time off. Some vet offices also let people do volunteer work if they know that this is something that you'd be interested in pursuing. Whatever you decide to do, you do need to be happy so then you will hopefully enjoy your career in the future. What about online courses? This might be something for you to also consider. Good luck.
    High school was okay and I thought I was going to like college, but I am definitely feeling burnt out. I know I need some sort of degree because I don't want to work a job I hate, but science isn't my forte at all and I've really struggled with it and I'm ready for something new.

I'm definitely going to work and do something in my time off, we'll just see what that is, lol. I'd love to do online courses but unfortunately for animal related classes most are not offered online at all. I have all my general education classes out of the way, so those would've been easy to do online if I didn't have them done.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    While it may be hard, animal nutrition could help you a lot in the future, and getting that one under your belt wold be a very good thing, as no matter what you are going for a career dealing with animals. Keeping slogging and finish this semester no matter what, okay? I know people who dropped out at a similar point, and they all regret it now, years later. After you graduate, I don't think any future employers will care much about your GPA - just that you completed the courses successfully.
    Nutrition is probably going to be something I'm going to have to drop if I have to drop any other courses. I'm just worried because that will make me a part time student over full time and I don't know if that would affect anything this late in the semester.

Grades are important because a lot of animal classes won't let you pass on to the next one without a C or B, depends on the class and the university. That's why I'm freaking a little over them, lol.

I would never drop out completely, I'd definitely go back and do something. I just need time to relax and work and not have to stress about school for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I would get a handle on how your grades are per class. Drop any class you would fail if the situation is THAT bad, then spend the time finishing up the others. You will have a lighter class load, and this may help you bring the other grades up.

It would also be interesting FOR YOU to know if the classes you need to drop under this scenario would be of any use as a vet tech or not; and if the classes you can finish will as well. IF you stick with classes which will help you in the new goal, AND you have a lighter load, you have time (I think?) to bring those grades up.

Meantime apply to the tech school and see how that app goes.
    Yeah, I'm going to do that. Just gotta check on the part time hours situation because this will drop be below 12 and that's the standard. I think I can manage to make at least a B in the rest of my classes, hopefully.

Some of the classes would be useful in Vet Tech school, but I can always take them there if necessary. I still have till the end of November/early December to bring up my grades, so hopefully that's enough time!

Thank you everyone for the advice. You're all right in the fact that I need to at least finish this semester. I can't decide if I should go ahead and register for classes for next semester just in case or not...

ETA: I just checked about the whole dropping below 12 hours thing and withdrawal from the university procedures. Either way they're going to charge me money, but I'm pretty sure that I will be failing one of my classes this semester if I don't drop it. I emailed the university bursar to get the situation sorted out.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Bri, it sounds to me like you hate UT or just school and not the profession of veterinary sciences. Sometimes a school isn't a right fit for you. But you only have these two years left. See about tutoring and other ways to get the work done. Ask your professors and their graduate assistants. Pick a better graduate school. Make sure it is a fit for you.

A lot of times these programs are tough because they want to know who really wants to do this.

I take it you are working while in school? Find out what you can do to make this easier on your self. Many doctors are several tens of thousands dollars in debt when they graduate. Sounds obscene, but that's the way it is. But vets make good money. You can get it paid off.

Wishing you luck with your decision.

Note: I almost quit college 2 years in and joined the navy. I changed my mind and I don't regret it. I'm doing what I'm meant to do.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)