Thread: Scat etiquette question

Scat etiquette question

Hello;

I really don't know how to phrase this question, but I'll give it a shot anyway...I mean, a lot of us are dog owners after all so we know to accept the good with the bad, right? I kind of characterize this as one of those "scruples" poll-like questions.

I have an english cocker spaniel who's pedigree includes a champion hunter...so you can kind of imagine. He loves to swim and, even though I don't hunt, when I take him out in nature he acts as though he's hot on the trail of something important.

Typically when we are out, he'll make a normal sized poop fairly early on. Rarely, he might poop again of a similar size. However, more often then not, especially if he's been for a swim, he'll go through the motions of pooping, but does little more then make a watery drop. His actions though look very vigorous- complete with a very demonstrative shoveling over punctuating the achievement. If I were to attempt to pickup this residue, if I'm lucky enough to even see it, I'd mostly be picking up stones, grass, or sand. I mean, a splash of water and it'd wash away.

Now, today, when we went to the beach, he did his usual sized poop as we made our way down to the beach and I bagged it. I left the bag in a non-descript place at the exit of the beach to pick up later because I was carrying some camera gear and it was awkward to hold the leash, the bag, and the gear. After spending a fun time at the beach, we walked up the beach to leave. Several feet away from the exit, maybe a couple of yards away, was a couple with a child in a carrier. Unfortunately, Atos went through one of his demonstrative, but unyielding poops. For what little there was, he covered with sand and I kind of dispersed it out of sight. The couple nearby, watching that I didn't pick up anything, diligently asked me if I allowed my dog to poop without picking it up. I explained that he didn't poop, even though he acts like he does. I further explained that I agree with them about dog owner's who don't pickup and that I'm a conscientious dog owner and that I had indeed cleaned up after him. As I left the beach, I located the poop bag and we left and I discarded it.

The dilemma this leaves me with is "was I appropriate?" I mean, I don't want to feel like I'm a hypocrit, but short of showing them the supposed evidence, I don't see what else I could have done. Secondly, from either a health or behavior perspective, is this typical behavior of a sporting/hunting dog? I regularly take him to the vet and he's quite healthy. His diet and appetite are both good, too. I've somewhat determined that this is in his nature to do and may have to do with expelling what is in his anus glands. As the vet explained to me, he kind of shares that aspect of his anatomy with certain other animals that leave scents (ie, skunks).

Thanks,
    Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Scat etiquette question

Welcome to Pet Talk.

I think you handled yourself very nicely.
    They were correct in asking you why you did you
    pick up the poop.
    And at the same time you politely explained to them
    that he went through the motions with-out any success.

----<---<--<{(@

Autumn and Pepper do this all the time when they have gotten quite a bit of exercise. It drives me crazy, and sometimes when too many people are watching I go through the motions of picking something up just to please. I think you handled it well.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Thank you very much for your comments and posts. That puts my mind at ease knowing how you would have handled it. It's funny, I guess, how powerful social etiquette can be and I really didn't want to lose sleep over such a thing. We like going down to this beach and I didn't want us to wear out our welcome. This beach has some memories: when he was just a puppy, this was the beach I took him to learn how to swim- cradling him in my arms as I walked chin deep.

On another subject, how do you make your photos appear? It looks like they are part of your signature, but I don't see any option under edit to attach a photo.

Greg

Tell me which beach he "pooped" at so I can watch my step! Hahahaha. Just kidding. I agree with IRescue452, sometimes it helps to go through the motion of picking up the "invisible" poop just so that people don't get mad. Some people may not be very polite about it and may get nasty. I'd rather pick up "invisible" poop than deal with nasty people.

How to make photos appear? I cheat. I use free internet hosting services like tinypic.com. Just go there and browse for the pic you want them to host, click "host it" and at the bottom of the page it will give you an image link, copy the img link and paste it on the post you want. There are other free hosting sites too but this one has nice small links.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Originally posted by elizabethann
    Tell me which beach he "pooped" at so I can watch my step! Hahahaha. Just kidding. I agree with IRescue452, sometimes it helps to go through the motion of picking up the "invisible" poop just so that people don't get mad. Some people may not be very polite about it and may get nasty. I'd rather pick up "invisible" poop than deal with nasty people.

Ahhh, good one! And I see you are also in NH so there's good reason for you to ask, too! I think that's good advice. Heck, if he's going to go through the motions, I might as well, too! And I don't see these folks as nasty...in fact, in their place, I would have done the same thing, probably. I mean, it does look very convincing from a distance. Some of these beaches are mostly for residents and visitors are supposed to respect that. It would be very upsetting if a few individuals misused that courtesy- so I get that and agree with it.

Originally posted by IRescue452
    How to make photos appear? I cheat. I use free internet hosting services like tinypic.com. Just go there and browse for the pic you want them to host, click "host it" and at the bottom of the page it will give you an image link, copy the img link and paste it on the post you want.
    Great! Thank you very much for explaining that. I did as you suggested and then I added the IMG tag to a section under my profile so it now appears for every post as part of the signature. Thanks!