Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dew claws

dew claws

How important is it to have them removed?

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Its not important to have them removed unless they are loose and get caught on things a lot. If they aren't causing any problems, the vet usually doesn't recommend removing them.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Not at all unless they cause problems.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Although it is not necessary to have them removed, it is important that you keep a close eye on the nails that grow on the dew claws. You want to keep the nails nice and trimmed, because if they are too long, they can curl and grow back into the foot. My vet recommended I have Penny's removed because they were so long when I got her that he felt they could easily catch on something and tear off. Her's also were attached only by skin and not bone, so could have easily been ripped by just running in the yard.

My RB dog Buster had his attached his entire life and never had any problems with them, but I had to constantly clip the nails to keep them short.

If the dew claws stick out quite a bit (especially in the rear claws, the front ones rarely pose any danger) and you excesize your dog often, especially in tall grass & wooded terrain etc... I would reccomend having them removed.
    All it takes is for a weed or something to slice it the right way & will cut that part. They bleed a lot just like a nail does. When I worked in the vets office I have seen quite a few dogs come in bleeding cause they got cut & then had to have them removed.
    If you are having anything done to your dog under anesthesia (spay/neuter/dental etc..) I would reccomend having them removed at the same time. It is cheaper that way.
    But if your dog is mainly an indoor dog & the dew claws do not stick out too much I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Like the other posters said - it's not a big deal unless the dewclaws stick out and are prone to catch on things. My manager's Chesapeake Bay Retriever tore one of his dewclaws at a field trial - it was one of the bloodiest injuries I've ever seen.

I'll always have the dewclaws on my dogs removed - simply because my dogs will be working dogs, and I'd be paranoid that they'd tear them on something.

Originally posted by lv4dogs
    If the dew claws stick out quite a bit (especially in the rear claws, the front ones rarely pose any danger)
    I'm sorry, what do you mean, rear claws? Finn has dew claws on his front legs, but, none in the back....do they usually have them on the back, too? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Thanks, Dogz!

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Guster

Yes, they have them on their back legs. Finns were removed when he was a little puppy, that is why he doesn't have any.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Yes they have dew claws on both front & back legs (not all dogs though) and they may have been removed when he was a tiny pup. The rear ones are the ones that ussually cuause the most trouble as they ussually protrude further out than the front ones. But the front ones can also cause problems, although again it is not as common.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

that's what I assumed! I cut Finn's nails weekly, so, they won't be a problem right now. But, I will talk to my vet. I'm planning on getting involved with several outdoors activities with him, and, it might be better if he doesn't have them. For now, he gets a lot of exercise, but, nothing too strenuous, because he's still so young.

Thanks, Dogz!

Elvis had his removed when he was still at the breeders.

Katie has hers, but all you have to do is keep the trim, and they should be fine.

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    Guster

Yes, they have them on their back legs. Finns were removed when he was a little puppy, that is why he doesn't have any.
    Not all dogs are born with back dewclaws. I'm not sure if all dogs are born with front dewclaws.

When I got Nebo the breeder said she hadn't removed any dewclaws. He has the front ones only. He goes camping/hiking and other outdoor activities and hasn't had a problem. Of course I keep the nails *very* short.

I wouldn't get front ones removed but I would most definitely get back dewclaws removed. Especially those ones that are just attached by skin.

I think everyone has answered your question well.

I keep the pup's dew claws, but Otis seems to have problems with them. About every other month, he seems to be chewing on them.

Do you know why he does this?

Jasper had his dew claws removed at the breeders also, because dogs can bleed to death from the dew claw(kind of like a main artery(sp) like our thumb).

And Emma, I dont know why Otis would chew on his dew claws, they could be bothering him?

But I also heard that some dogs chew on their claws and it becomes a habit, like nail biting.

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Sylvia's were removed before we got her. Harley has his. Either way doesn't make any difference. Sylvia is the first dog I've ever had that had them removed. Most of the time it's unnecessary.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)