Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often should you replace litterboxes??

How often should you replace litterboxes??

After ccompletely cleaning 5 litterboxes, I was just wondering how often they should be replaced. I know that plastic has a tendency to harbor bacteria, germs and odors. I've had my cat boxes for a while. Does anyone here replace their boxes with new ones??? If so, how often?

I'd appreciate any input.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I read someplace, once a year. I've never change it that often.
    Recently the litter box seemed stinky even with new litter, so I replaced it even tho it was only five years old! The new box was completely smooth and I realized the bottom of the old box was rough from scratching, and probably harbored the smells.

I've also heard once a year. Which means it's time for me to get some new litter boxes.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I got new ones last year, but before that I bet it had been about 7 years! I never knew they should be replaced that often. I do take them outside in the summer when the hose is hooked up and scrub them out with bleach. I always use thick liners and newpaper between box and liner so no dirty litter ever touches the box itself.

I also didn't know that they had to be replaced so often. I have 2 litterboxes and have had one of them for almost 6 years now. I had to replace the other one because the latches to the hood broke on it. I'm going to a new pet supply store tomorrow with AmberLee so I guess I should look at some new litterboxes too.

I do replace mine about once a year. They're cheaper to buy at wallmart than the pet store.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I can't remember when I bought my litterboxes, so I guess it's time to replace mine as well. I might just replace one at a time (I have 5 ) which can get a little expensive.

I was eyeing one of those round Booda boxes last night at Petco. It's sort of self-cleaning. It has a tray the clumps land in that you pull out and dump. Pretty cool! Anything to help my litterbox chores .

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

I bought one for Juni last year, the one consisting of two parts. She used in the beginning only for nr. 2, which is stupid, because it was good esp. for nr. 1. The liquid goes through those bars and the paws are dry. Well, can you explain that to a kitty? Then she started not using it at all. Only the old one, which is falling apart already. I have to buy one more, although the one I bought last year is like new. Still, I can't just remove this one, I tried, she doesn't use the new one.
    That's a big question. What to do? I hope I'll figure out somehow.

I wipe mine down with alcohol after scrubbing it a few times a year.

Vio & Juni,

How would you rate the box (On a scale of 1-10, 10 being best)?? I really liked the fact that there was alot of room in it. I might buy one for now just to see how they like it.

Cats are fussy creatures, aren't they??? But ya gotta love 'em!!

we have 2 litter-boxes . I scoop "everything" out every day ; I buy the litter that clumps , so that is easy ! I change the whole filling every 2 weeks ; then I always wash out the box too with a regular dishcleaner . this works out perfectly ! My cats do agree

Originally posted by lut
    we have 2 litter-boxes . I scoop "everything" out every day ; I buy the litter that clumps , so that is easy ! I change the whole filling every 2 weeks ; then I always wash out the box too with a regular dishcleaner . this works out perfectly ! My cats do agree
    Wow, if only you lived closer, I would have you to my house to clean it! I don't even clean my things as well (I guess no one will come visit me ).

I don't clean mine more than once a year, and I must admit, they need it now. I put whole fresh litter in it when I clean them. So, I guess I will stop at the store and buy 10 tubs of litter, go home and clean them all out, and refill them. What a weekend, huh?

LOL !!!
    No thanks , I have enough with our litter-boxes here !!

I know I had planned on buying new ones once a year....what do they do to them??

We have the covered ones, and they seem to hold up better than the non-covered ones. I have no idea why.

We out fresh litter in every two weeks and clean them with those Clorox Wipes or 409. Nice and clean smelling! I am an anal person when it comes to germs/cleaning/smells.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I'm in the "not often enough" group, I guess. I have never replaced the litterbox in the 4 years I've had it, and I have only replaced the entire contents of the clumping litter maybe twice? Funny, because I'm an "anal" person about cleaning and germs too, but since the box is downstairs in the laundry room, I don't really notice it. I think I'll replace the litter more often though, because it really does get stinky from the little crumbs that fall off of the clumps. I do wipe down the rim and/or sides if kitty "missed" the box.

I'd like to hear, too, from anyone who has used that rounded litterbox that you "roll" to clean it. It looks really interesting, but I couldn't quite figure it out in the store.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope