Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Think This Is Abuse?

Do You Think This Is Abuse?

I actually don't think it's abuse and I don't think they should have taken the child away from the Mother. What do you think??? I think this is ignorance or stupidity on the Mother's part. She did bring her child to the dentist. Now they're taking her child away from her??? I just don't understand some people. If you pinch somebody, it's abuse! Stop with the abuse acusations already!! Let's hear what you think.

Mom Jailed Because Of Son's Rotten Teeth
    Woman Thought Teeth Would Just Fall Out

BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- A Pennsylvania mother is behind bars because, police said, her son's lack of dental care was her fault.

Survey: Poor Dental Care: Abuse?

According to a local dentist, the 5-year-old boy has just eight teeth left and will need to be on a special soft food diet. The dentist said the child's tooth decay was so severe, it was criminal, and police agreed.

Dr. Nicholas Prusack said the nerves are exposed in several places.

"This is the X-ray showing the rotted teeth of the 5 year-old victim, and 12 of them so infected they had to be pulled," Prusack said.

Investigators said the damage was the result of the boy having never seen a dentist.

Now, his mother, 43-year-old Erneida Resto of Bethlehem, Pa., is charged with endangering her son's welfare.

Northampton County, Pa., children and youth services began investigating Resto in February when she took her son to a dental office in Salisbury Towsnhip, Pa.

That is where Prusack performed the surgery, saying the boy was in so much pain he could not eat.

"It is probably one of the worst cases," Prusack said.

Prusack was so concerned that he notified authorities, who said the boy had been complaining of headaches and pain in his mouth since the summer of 2005.

According to court documents, his mother said she knew her son was hurting, but did not take him to a dentist because she figured his baby teeth would fall out and the problem would fix itself.

Prusack said if he hadn't removed the boy's teeth he would likely have ended up in the hospital within six months.

He said the boy is now left with only six teeth on the bottom and two teeth on top and has a long road ahead.

"He's not going to have all of his permanent teeth, and for the next 10 years chewing food will be a problem for him," Prusack said.

Restohas been sent to Northampton County Prison under $25,000 bail. A preliminary hearing was set for Sept. 22.

The boy is now in foster care, officials said.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

My mistake, she DIDN'T take him to the dentist!!!

I still don't think the child should have been taken away from her!

I do think it's criminal abuse, or at least criminal neglect, and I'm glad she is being punished for ignoring the problem.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Yes, I think this is abuse. This is above and beyond a couple of cavaties. She knew her son was in pain and decided to not take him to the dentist because she thought his baby teeth would just fall out and the problem would be solved. She knew and did nothing, that entails abuse in my book.

Question for you, if you knew your dog or cat was in pain but thought the issue might resolve itself would you still take them to the vet?

If someone knew their pet was in pain, thought the issue might resolve itself, didn't take them to the vet and the issue did turn out to be a major one (exposed nerves counts a major in my book), would that be abuse?

I think it is good idea that this child was taken away.
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

But do you really think the child should be taken away? That's what I don't understand. The Mother sounds like she was ignorant to her child's needs. She needs some education - like child development or something. Perhaps she's dirt poor and has no teeth herself? I don't know. I just don't think the child should be taken away from her.

I do feel this is neglect, but maybe she had no form of insurance and had no way to pay for her son to visit a dentist. This is one of the reasons why health care needs to be more readily avalivable, or at least make it avaliable for all children.
    Last edited by Uabassoon; 09-14-2006 at 06:40 PM.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

If she thinks teeth that bad are just going to fix themselves, what about other possible injuries? Will she think a deep cut isn't too bad because it doesn't bleed much. Will she think a painful arm isn't broken because it doesn't look broken?

The child was complaining about toothaches and headaches for more than a year! To me, that indicates that she doesn't much care what the child feels or his well-being.

I would not be adverse if he were returned after his mother underwent some serious education including parenting classes and showed major improvement.
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

I do think he should have been taken away. Even if all she needs is some education, she should know that chronic pain for OVER A YEAR requires attention. A year is more than enough time to locate a free clinic in your area and take the kid to a doctor.

I'm not totally against the kid being returned to his mother if the gets some education (if that is in fact what she needs) but I think it's good that she had the shock of having him taken away to show her that she needs to take an interest in her son's health!!

It's not like he would have gone to the jail with her anyways, so she was going to be without him at this time regardless.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Yes, I think it is abuse. Neglect to a criminal degree. I also think that just not visiting the dentist would not have cause that amount of rot and decay and pain. Did she EVER have the kid brush his teeth? Ever? Letting him suffer for a year when she knew he was in pain is unconscionable.

He was most likely malnourished for this to happen.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

YES! Lord I can't imagine the pain that little boy went through. I chipped a tooth once and ignored it and soon enough the nerve was exposed. It was extremely painful. There were times I even went into shock from the pain. I won't go into the lack of health care. I've no doubt that this boy has some predisposed condition that led to his teeth having no enamel because at this age there would not be this extent of damage for somebody with normal teeth. But the government has health care programs for children.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann
    But do you really think the child should be taken away? That's what I don't understand. The Mother sounds like she was ignorant to her child's needs. She needs some education - like child development or something. Perhaps she's dirt poor and has no teeth herself? I don't know. I just don't think the child should be taken away from her.

Hopfully the mother will now get the messgae that this is criminal neglect
    on her part. She probably will have to take parenting classes before the boy
    will be returned to her.I think the fact that she knew he was in pain for
    months on end & never made a move to get help for her child, is proof of
    neglect that is criminal.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Yes it's digusting abuse. He will now no longer have all of his adult teeth, when teeth decay to that extent they usually go in and also decay the permanent teeth. It coudl very well be that he won't be able to keep his permanent teeth due to the decay and will never have normal teeth, not to mention the pain with teeth like that is excruciating! I've had one cavity and it was HORRID. This could also have given him a system-wide illness and even given him heart damage from the infections in his mouth. Why do you think they said he would have needed to be in the hospital in six months?? It is digusting and lazy and damn straight he should have been placed with people who will give him proper care. If she can learn not to be so damn negligent then fine, but until then he needs better care. Foster care SUCKS, but she is unfit at present. There is no excuse, there are free clinics, Medicaid, etc etc etc .

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

I think they did the right thing by takig that boy away from his mother!! That is just wrong!! How can a mothr just do that??? watch your child in pain and do nothing?? I dont care if you have insurance or not!! Doctors are very willing to take payment lans, even if it is only 5$ a week! There is no excuse, i cannot even begin to understand how some people think! That poor boy has to endure at least 10yrs worth of pain and discomfort, if not more!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Elizabethann - I am sure the mother needs education and more information, and a slap up the side of the head...but her child should not be with her until she DOES change and learn all that stuff.

JMO
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda