Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed 1 Stray Cat Losing Weight *UPDATE VET APPT MADE* GOAL REACHED FOR VET

Advice Needed 1 Stray Cat Losing Weight *UPDATE VET APPT MADE* GOAL REACHED FOR VET

Hi All,

Well I'm at my sister's place and I just saw Fatty (well we should now change his name to skinny)....I saw him resting on the road which is typical for him but when I saw him he looked like he was road kill, he's just so skinny now and I can't believe it.

I told my sister that he needs to see a vet, we have no idea of his age because he/or she and this other cat that he/she hangs around with has been around here since she moved in.

The neighbors around my sister all set out food for the 2 cats but Fatty has been getting skinner and skinner. One of my sister's neighbors decided to take them both in one time and one ended up not using the litter box and so he put them back out and well that neighbor that did take them in passed away and well my sister has 3 cats now so she can't take in 2 more although when looking at me and my situation she has more room then me but I know she won't.

The only thing that sucks about trying to just take him/her in is I'd have to take the other one as well because they depend on eachother and even though the one does hunt for food it still wouldn't be fair to leave her outside, even though she's been doing it now for about 3 years since my sister moved in here and when my sister moved in here both of the cats were adults when she moved in so they had to be 1-2 years or more.

So I guess I'm just asking for any advice what might be the problem with Fatty and how to help him. I wish I could say I had the funds to get him fixed and I told my sister if she set up a vet appointment I'd come back up here and take him/her to the vets and figure out what was wrong with him/her. But sadly I need to do something cheaper because my one cat Athena is having surgery at the end of this month for a Hernia which is $150 and then I still owe the vet $44 from a previous vet visit. Luckly, I did receive a donation before which did pay for a vet bill for another stray cat that I took in and has since found a home.

I better get going now, I will be offline for about 4 days and then return around Thursday.

Melissa

Here is the previous thread I wrote about the 2 cats.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=143233
    Last edited by Anikaca77; 07-17-2008 at 02:39 PM.

I WOULD SAY WORMS RIGHT OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD, AS HE SOUNDS AS THOUGH HES TOO YOUNG FOR A THYROID PROBLEM.
    I WOULD GET HIM IN, HAVE HIM TAKEN CARE OF AND THEN BRING HIM BACK,
    IF YOU COULD GET BOTH, THAT WOULD BE GREAT AS THE FEMALE MAY BE HAVING LITTERS, MAYBE YOU COULD FIND A SHELTER FOR HER TO BREAK THE CHAIN OF KITTENS.
    GOOD LOOK WITH SKINNY AND HIS GIRL FRIEND.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks. I hope it's just worms as well. He's a super sweetie.

I JUST HOPE THAT ITS NOT BAD TEETH, OR AN IFECTION IN SKINNYS MOUTH, AS THAT COULD BE VERY DANGEROUS.
    I HOPE YOU CAN GET A GOOD LOOK AT SKINNY, AND HELP HIM OUT , SO HES NOT LOSING ALL THAT WEIGHT.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Well, yes, worms, but since he is an outdoor fellow, I'd think about feline aids/leukemia OR cancer. Also, since the cat's age is unknown, thyroid, diabetes, or kidney disease might be considered.
    Nine is Fine!!

I would also say have him tested for disease , could be the cause. Is he fixed? Flea treatment? Little more info needed please.

It is hot, so they eat much less in summer, but they never should be boney.

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

So - is your sister taking him to the vet?

He's not getting any better...

If funds are tight, I could chip in a bit.

He doesn't sound good.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Hi,

Well we think he is fixed only because I know what a none male looks like fixed and well if it is a girl which we think it's not she would be pregnant by now if she or he wasn't fixed.

jenn_librarian is donating some tubes of Revolution and 20 pills of Baytril and Clavamox and 2 tubes of eye meds in case he gets goopie eyes.

My sister is going to be able to apply the flea meds to him but we are going to wait on the pills until we know for sure what he has.

When I was with him on Saturday he was very hungry and he'd eat a lot but he looks like he's having some jaw issues or chewing problems. My sister has been giving him a can of cat food a day.

I've attached a recent picture I took of him on Saturday.

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by kt_luvs_kitties View Post
    I would also say have him tested for disease , could be the cause. Is he fixed? Flea treatment? Little more info needed please.

It is hot, so they eat much less in summer, but they never should be boney.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July 9 2008 (101).JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	39713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July 9 2008 (102).JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	39714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July 9 2008 (98).JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	39715  

My sister said she's not able to take him to the vets because of the money it would cost to run blood tests and check him over and figure out what's wrong with him but I told my sister if she would schedule an appointment I would come up with the funds somehow and I would also come up and take him to the vets with her and have him checked out.

With my funds there is none at the moment because I have to get funds together to get Athena Hernia surgery at the end of this month and well with all the other vet costs it's all going up.

I was thinking that I might try to put more stuff on ebay if people would be interested in purchasing stuff for a generally low price.

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    So - is your sister taking him to the vet?

He's not getting any better...

If funds are tight, I could chip in a bit.

He doesn't sound good.

I would not medicate him until he is checked out by the vet. If there is something wrong, it could be masked by the antibiotics....I do not mean to sound mean, but the meds can interfere if there is a problem....
    Nine is Fine!!

Melissa, I'll be able to donate a bit. And so will some other folks. Please have your sister take that kitty in. If his jaw is broken or dislocated, he needs emergency help.

please....!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Yes, he doesnt look too good.

Does the vet take credit cards over the phone?

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

The vet does take credit cards over the phone but they won't take it till I show up with the cat.

The office visit will be $36

She said for a complete bloodwork $105
    (blood count, liver levels, the works she said)

So I'm looking at with just the bloodwork and the office visit: $141

I have an appointment scheduled for Friday, July 18th at 3 pm since I will be traveling 2 1/2 hours away I had to make it semi-later in the day. I may move it up to Wednesday, July 16th but I will let you all know. I might only be able to afford the vet visit for now but we'll see.

This is the vet's address and phone number that I will be taking Fatty too.

St Francis Animal Hospital
    (570) 386-5313
    1002 W Penn Pike, Tamaqua, PA 18252

Thanks,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by kt_luvs_kitties View Post
    Yes, he doesnt look too good.

Does the vet take credit cards over the phone?

I just called the vets that I'm taking Fatty too and I had them put Fatty under my sister's name since she's a client there and that way I can get funds ahead of time before I show up to the vets. Please PM me for the VET'S INFO and my sister's name to put the money under.

I checked to see if I could get Fatty into the vets any sooner than Friday and they said they are all booked so I will be taking Fatty on Friday at 3 pm.

I also asked the vet if the bloodwork included the FIV/FELV test and she said it didn't so there is now an additional $38 cost just for the FIV/FELV test.

The lady I spoke with said I should do the FIV/FELV test just to make sure that's not the reason for him losing weight.

So the total depending on if I have his complete bloodwork done is

$36 visit, $38 FIV/FELV test, $105 bloodwork = $179

Not including any meds. I will probably be able to cover the vet visit, plus at least $60 in gas to get to my sisters and come back....but that will still leave $143 needed.

If I'm not able to come up with the funds before his vet appointment I will have to cancel the appointment until I can afford it. I really hate to say that I need funds but I do with having to keep $150 back for Athena's hernia surgery at the end of this month I just can't afford much more, plus I just had to pay the vet $44. today for a previous vet visit.

Melissa

I just received a wonderful donation, I won't say the person's name only because I haven't asked if it's okay to mention the amount or the name. I just need ~$100 left to raise before next Friday.

I will be willing to send out whatever books I have on cats to anyone who donates that wants a cat book.

Melissa