Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A silly question about Americans....

A silly question about Americans....

I vaguely remember when in America many moons ago, that most Americans eat their meals only with their forks, I just saw a Programme last night that mentioned this, and said it started from way back when they kept their right hand free for their gun.

Now I am wondering is this true? here in NZ we use both our knife and fork for eating all our meals, how about you what do you do? enlighten me? or humour me? whichever
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

That's weird. I've never heard that. We're civilized here, too. We use both utensils.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Well, I am from Canada and I eat most all my meals with a fork and a knife. Unless it is something like a hamburger. though it is only in the last 5 years or so I started doing that. I guess once you get out and do some travelling in places other then North America you see the majority of us do not have a refined table etiquette.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

ok well that is funny, I do remember noticing it when i visited, maybe it depends what part of the states you are from, be interesting to see my replys eh val?
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I am from Oklahoma. We usually eat with our forks, or a spoon just depends on what we are eating. However, foods, like steak, and so on we use both knife and fork.
    Happiness is the little things in life.

oh just for the record I don't see anything wrong with using just your fork , it is just something I noticed different from here,obviously for steak you would need both.
    Furangels only lent.

It depends on what I am eating...I would prefer just a fork but with steak you have to use a knife also and with soup you have to use a spoon.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

It is true that we use our utensil differently than Europeans (and I would assume New Zealanders and Australians.) During WWI and WWII...spies working behind enemy lines had to be very careful as this could be a giveaway that they were Americans.

We use the fork with prongs up rather than down and hold it in the right hand (normally) rather than the left. The knife is used for cutting but rarely as an "assist" to loading the fork.

(Don't know how well I am explaining... )

I have never heard the gun story....but being from Al Capone's Chicago it gives me a giggle. I have always heard the reason we use our utensil different started as a part of the revolt against Great Britain. Wanting to do things different to show our independence.

And since, for those of us who are right-handed, having our fork in the right hand makes using a gun difficult....

Also, to cut our meat we switch the fork to the left hand (prongs down) and the knife in the right.
    Last edited by Edwina's Secretary; 06-07-2005 at 06:05 PM.

Something like steak I will use a fork and knife but if I can cut it easily with my fork I will.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Forks? People eat with forks? What are forks?

I usually don't use utensils, if I don't have to. In a restaurant, I'll use a fork and be "proper". If I'm at home, and it's not hot soup, fingers it is!
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}

I love the responses! Carole, "this American" (me) sets the table with a fork, knife and teaspoon, always, and my family laughs at me for doing it since we rarely need the spoon, but that's the way my mom taught me to do it! LOL!!!!! So I do! Scott, Helen and I are all left handed, so we hold our fork with our left hand, but all 3 of us, strangely enough, use our right hand to cut with the knife. Maybe that's why we constantly fight our weight because we can cut and eat, constantly, without a break in between! LOL!!!

Good question! I wonder how many other American habits we have that would seem strange to people outside of our country.

Originally posted by buckner
    Forks? People eat with forks? What are forks?

I usually don't use utensils, if I don't have to. In a restaurant, I'll use a fork and be "proper". If I'm at home, and it's not hot soup, fingers it is!
    So how do you eat mashed potatoes, peas , carrots, etc.?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm in Canada, but I'm going to answer anyways lol.

The only thing I ever use both a fork and knife with is steak. Otherwise, what's the point of using the knife when the food doesn't need to be cut? When I'm at home though, and there's no company, I just eat the steak with my fingers. I'm a barbarian.
    I've been BOO'd!

Oh boy! Forks are my favorite utensil! haha, I eat everything I can with my fork. I eat everything out of my soup with my fork, then drink the broth after. I use my fork for rice, mac and cheese, peas... pretty much everything, no matter how difficult it is.

Hehe, at school my friend always gets my whole lunch table our "utensil of the day.." Whatever utensil it is we have to eat our entire meal with it. Ok, I'm weird. I know.

If you'd like a sig, PM me.

Yes this is turning into a fun thread, I am enjoying all your responses, in NZ it is custom to eat with both a fork and knife, the fork in your left hand and knife in your right, you scoop up food with the knife and put it on the fork and eat, hope I explained that enough lol, any other way would appear strange to us, I think the British do the same, correct me if I am wrong.

Of course we have finger eating foods, like burgers etc, that is normal to eat with your hands as are chips or fries and cakes,sandwiches etc, but main meals nearly always with a knife and fork.

I remember having meals in the states with the people I was staying with, and only getting a fork and wondering how the heck am I gonna manage to eat with that only,of course I was too polite and shy to ask for one.
    Furangels only lent.