Thread: Choosing a collar for a dachshund with a neck issue...

Choosing a collar for a dachshund with a neck issue...

Hi! So I haven't been around in quite a while. (I miss this place!) I need some help. A friend has a little dachshund, she's about 7lbs. Around 3 months ago she hurt her neck. The vet put her on medication and though she seems much, much better now there is another small issue.

She hates harnesses. The vet recommends against a collar for obvious reasons but this little girl just hates the harness he bought to put on her. It's a normal harness, it's not bulky at all. He tried her old collar briefly, just to see what she would do, and sure enough she was ready to go with that but he didn't want to risk using it.

Any ideas on alternates? She used to love walks and the vet recommends more exercise but it's impossible with her. She just lays down and won't move about 80% of the time. Treats have been used to coax her out to no avail but I'm open to any ideas to suggest to my friend.

Thank you!

Harnesses are so much better for doxies, perhaps she should try one made out of a different material, and just put it on her so she has it on around the house and gets used to it. There are a million different shapes and materials these days for harnesses, it may be a matter of trying one and seeing if it works. Because Doxies have such thin fur, be wary of anything that might be uncomfortable in her "armpits" is the one thing I'd note.
    I've Been Frosted

So true, I told him to avoid the comfort wrap style because they ride up so to speak, in the armpit area. He's also tried the harnesses that have the padded underside, it's one I know lots of dachshund owners use and she does the same thing.

Edited to say, thank you Karen!
    Last edited by dappledoxie; 05-16-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Hmm, I just looked up harnesses. The brand Puppia is the one I was thinking of. But I see you say she doesn't like that kind either. If she just doesn't like them at all, the only thing I could suggest is to just get her use to it. Just put it on her and let her stay in it (under close supervision of course). Maybe work with her and give her treats. Make the harness a good thing.

I know this is easier said than done. I can imagine, because any time we put clothes of any kind on my female she will just sit and whine until we take it off. But I've never encountered her NEEDING to wear something. If she did need to, this is what I would do with her. And the day may come that I'll have to do this with an e-collar on her.

I was also looking for a shirt type garment to suggest. But the only ones I saw were on larger animals. What about putting on the harness then putting a shirt or something over that??
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm not sure what style of harness has been tried. Here are some ideas with links:

A '2 step' or 'step in' harness. https://www.petedge.com/product/Guar...rite/46042.uts
    I use this for most of my fluffs.

A rope n go. http://www.ropengo.com/
    I use this for Tasha as she is an escape artist. She has never been able to get out of this one. Not that the doxie has the escape issue, but that is how I came to find this initially.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Hmm, I just looked up harnesses. The brand Puppia is the one I was thinking of. But I see you say she doesn't like that kind either. If she just doesn't like them at all, the only thing I could suggest is to just get her use to it. Just put it on her and let her stay in it (under close supervision of course). Maybe work with her and give her treats. Make the harness a good thing.

I know this is easier said than done. I can imagine, because any time we put clothes of any kind on my female she will just sit and whine until we take it off. But I've never encountered her NEEDING to wear something. If she did need to, this is what I would do with her. And the day may come that I'll have to do this with an e-collar on her.

I was also looking for a shirt type garment to suggest. But the only ones I saw were on larger animals. What about putting on the harness then putting a shirt or something over that??
    Thanks for your help! He said her previous owner tried to dress her up and she did the same thing. I'm thinking you are right, it'll just be a time and patience thing. I know my dachshunds don't mind their harness at all. I bet if I put a collar on Claire she'd not enjoy that one bit so his little girl is just the opposite.
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I'm not sure what style of harness has been tried. Here are some ideas with links:

A '2 step' or 'step in' harness. https://www.petedge.com/product/Guar...rite/46042.uts
    I use this for most of my fluffs.

A rope n go. http://www.ropengo.com/
    I use this for Tasha as she is an escape artist. She has never been able to get out of this one. Not that the doxie has the escape issue, but that is how I came to find this initially.
    Thanks!! I'm going to look at those two links and see what I find.
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*

Yes, it can turn into a matter of being more stubborn that your dachshund - which we all no is no small feat!
    I've Been Frosted

My Dog isn't a Doxie but he hated his harness at first. I got a Harness because he pulled really bad and still sometimes does so he needs one or he'll choke himself to death. He loves walks though so I think he just kind of sucked it up It does take a matter of getting used to it, and I think that's all she needs. I wouldn't give in

My dog now runs around and plays in his harness, so overall I think it just takes some getting used to!

Hi,

I think you should not make your dog with the collar for sometime, till your dog is absolutely fine. It is important that your the infected portion should heal up fast. Once the infected area is healed up then am sure your dog will wear the collar.

Have you tried a gentle leader?
    In loving memory of Tigger 2003-2009. In loving memory of Ashes 2001-2013.