Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tainted baby formula in China

Tainted baby formula in China

Melamine rears its ugly head again...http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapc...ula/index.html

I wonder if this is the same bunch who were contaminating pet food with melamine.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Oh how horrible....right now I am SO glad I am still breastfeeding...

Quote Originally Posted by JenBKR View Post
    Oh how horrible....right now I am SO glad I am still breastfeeding...
    I thought the same thing when I read the news! Not that I am still BFing...but, glad that I did!

Where do the tainted babies come in?

Richard!!

The formula was spiked with melamine for the exact same reason the pet food ingredient was: to boost the nitrogen assay, which indicates protein content.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    Richard!!

The formula was spiked with melamine for the exact same reason the pet food ingredient was: to boost the nitrogen assay, which indicates protein content.
    I know, I am sorry.

IT's just that sometimes the literal evil in me comes out and I cannot resist.

Somewhere today the news said it was two brothers who have been arrested. They lost so much money on their last fiasco, that they thought watering down the milk and adding some melamine would boost their profits in sales.

How terribly, terribly sad. I somehow doubt just two people were responsible, I hope everyone who had any part in this is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, and that companies will be penalized as well.

China is serious about prosecuting tampering. Some guy got executed for it earlier this year.

Smokey, pardon my cynicism, but he more likely got executed because he didn't pay enough bribe money. I find it hard to believe the melamine situation is a one man show.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I know, I am sorry.

IT's just that sometimes the literal evil in me comes out and I cannot resist.
    Richard I can't wait to get your Christmas Card this year & read it..

Yes this just saddens & disgust me to NO End on these people that do stuff like that.. Poor innocent babies && just like our poor wittle pets last year..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Smokey, pardon my cynicism, but he more likely got executed because he didn't pay enough bribe money. I find it hard to believe the melamine situation is a one man show.

Well, true. There's probably as much scapegoatism (is that even a word?) and showboating to trading partners as any real reform. BUT, the world is going to demand quality reforms or they just won't buy Chinese products no matter how cheap, if they make people sick.

Three year cover up in China milk scandal

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/new...htm?tab=latest

Three year cover up in China milk scandal

Updated September 19, 2008 12:19:45

Four babies have died, 6,244 are ill, after drinking contaminated milk formula. [Reuters]

Reports in the Chinese media suggest the company at the centre of a contaminated milk scandal knew it had a problem as far back as 2005.

Our correspondent Kerri Ritchie reports, more than 6,000 children in China are sick and four babies have died after drinking milk laced with melamine.

Chinese media is reporting dairy company Sanlu knew its products were contaminated three years ago but kept quiet.

Sanlu's chairwoman has been sacked along with a number of government officials.

New Zealand dairy giant Fonterra part-owns Sanlu.

Fonterra knew about the crisis six weeks before it went public.

New Zealand trade minister Phil Goff doesn't believe Fonterra's representatives at Sanlu should be arrested but he says Fonterra should learn some lessons.

"China is a market of huge opportunity but it's also a market which operates quite differently from New Zealand," he said.

Fonterra says it's now doing all it can to make things right.

Meanwhile, the Chinese government quality watchdog says nearly 10 per cent of milk samples taken from top Chinese dairy companies was contaminated by melamine.

The nationwide inspection of milk showed the problem of contamination ran wider than the tainted milk powder that has made thousands of infants ill.

Officials said most milk was safe to drink, trying to bolster public trust already rocked by a litany of food scares involving eggs, pork and seafood in recent years.

The General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine says almost one-tenth of milk batches from Mengniu Dairy and Inner Mongolia Yili Industrial Group Co Ltd tested positive for melamine, a compound banned in food.

At the latest count, 6,244 children have fallen ill with kidney stones after drinking powdered melamine-tainted milk, with four deaths and 158 suffering "acute kidney failure".
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

When I saw this story on the news, it just made me sick to see those innocent babies so sick. I just can't believe this has happened. I hope the people responsible never see the light of day again.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Those poor babies and their families!!! I heard 6 have died as of this morning.

Maybe now they will keep closer track of what is going into their products though.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~