Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pet Refuge needs our help!!

Pet Refuge needs our help!!

Hey guys...here's the sad story of a little girl that financially drained Pet Refuge (my personal favorite in the way of rescues as you all know) and they are having a garage sale next weekend to go to pay for her medical costs. They are also accepting donations. I know I always do this, but if anyone has some spare change to donate, I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Here's Cassie's story...it's a tearjerker!!

CASSIE'S STORY

by Sandra Toney (Pet Refuge Volunteer)

Stuffed inside an old dresser drawer and tossed into a pile of garbage by the edge of the road, the buff-colored puppy surely thought this would be her last day of misery. So dehydrated and hungry that she could not even stand up, the puppy probably wondered how or why someone could leave her all alone to die such an agonizing death. When she had lost all hope that she would ever run and play or happily rest her head on a person's lap to be petted, she drifted off to sleep -- most likely for the last time -- and longed to be free from her suffering . . .

Suddenly, she was awakened by the sound of a human voice -- a young mother with a baby of her own waiting in the car -- lifting her almost-lifeless body from her soon-to-be "casket." Perhaps she was dreaming as the kindhearted woman gently placed her in the car and took her home? All that night and into the next day, she had a "home" and someone was trying to help her but she couldn't eat or drink or even lift her head up to thank the nice lady. Even though she was not alone, the puppy could still feel the end of her life was quickly approaching and she bravely waited for it to come.

The next thing she knew, she was in the woman's car again and in a new place. Once again, she could hear human voices -- but different ones -- and her rescuer, named Cassandra, told these people, volunteers at Pet Refuge, how she found the puppy and tried to help her but could not afford medical attention for the little dog. She gathered together what money she had and gave it to Pet Refuge as a donation and tearfully asked for help with the innocent pup.

That was on the night of May 24, 2002. Bonnie Richardson (PR dog coordinator) and I, Sandra Toney (PR cat department volunteer) were the volunteers there late that evening and both of us knew this dog was seriously ill. We named her Cassie -- after Cassandra, the name of the lady who brought her to us -- and rushed her to Animal Emergency as we both agreed she could not wait until morning.

I held her in my arms as Bonnie drove to the clinic. As sick as she was, she looked up at us with the saddest pair of eyes I think I've ever seen on an animal. It was as if she was thanking us for trying to help her. She knew, as we patiently waited in the emergency room for the vet to come see her, that we loved her -- even though we'd only known her a short while. She struggled to keep awake as we talked to her and petted her starved little body.

After an exam and some tests were run, the vet told us the bad news -- Cassie had the parvovirus -- a deadly disease that affects dogs and, in many cases (especially in puppies), is fatal if not caught in time. We had a huge decision to make -- let the puppy go or try to save her. Those big, sad eyes looked up at us as she tried to lift up her weak, wobbly head . . . we knew we had our answer. We must try to save this special dog who had been cruelly discarded as nothing more than a piece of unwanted trash.

And the little puppy, who had all but given up, suddenly had the WILL to live. Although she was in critical condition, she made it through the night at the ER clinic and was transferred to a veterinary hospital the next morning. She spent a week in isolation and was hooked up to IV's to help her get better and to strengthen her severely malnourished system. It was nothing short of a "miracle" that she survived the deadly virus. Unfortunately, Pet Refuge, a non-profit organization that exists only on donations, now had a large medical bill for this one tiny pup.

Although this type of situation isn't a daily occurrence, medical emergencies such as this DO happen and we need the help of other animal lovers to continue our important mission. Cassie is currently being fostered in my previously "cats-only" home (I've never had a dog before and she needed a home without other dogs) until she is over the virus and ready to be adopted to a FOREVER HOME. Besides searching for a loving home for Cassie when the time comes, Pet Refuge would also like to ask for donations to help ease some of the financial burdens created by her lengthy hospital stay. We have created a special fund, "Cassie's Fund,"** for this purpose.

As of this writing (mid-June), Cassie has regained most of her strength back and is no longer suffering from the effects of the deadly parvovirus. This success story has been a real triumph for everyone at Pet Refuge who, day in and day out, has to deal with these types of animal abuse and neglect cases. When a special pet like Cassie comes along and beats all the odds, she reminds us that our hard work, our endless devotion and, yes, even the many tears we've cried, are NOT all done in vain.

Cassie's dreams of resting her head on someone's lap to be petted and running and playing with her favorite toys have finally come true! Pet Refuge (and Cassie) wants to sincerely thank everyone who supports our important cause. Without your help, we could not continue to exist and animals such as Cassie might never know what the love and generosity of MANY human hearts -- working together -- can accomplish.

**We are holding a special "Cassie's Fund" Garage Sale on Friday, July 12th (7am-4pm) and on Saturday, July 13th (7am-2pm) at 2105 McKinley, South Bend, Indiana. Please plan to attend the garage sale and help Cassie at the same time! Please call the shelter if you need more information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

OOPS...I forgot...the webaddress (with Cassie's story again) is www.petrefuge.com

Most of us PetTalkers long for a day when we can help ALL the critters that need support and protection. Meanwhile, we need to keep helping one at a time.

A contribution has been sent to Pet Refuge in honor of a friend who had her 39th birthday (again ) yesterday, and in rememberance of two unknown dead dogs that I saw left on the road today.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Mugsy, Pet Refuge does a magnificent job in presenting their dogs in word and picture. What a caring group of people they are. This website is just the place to send people who have never considered *adoption* before. How could anyone see these dogs and read their bios and not feel compelled to have one as their own I do not know.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Thank you so much Pam...I know that they will appreciate it. Mike and I are going to go to the garage sale next weekend.

I hope their garage sale goes well next weekend. The pups are put refuge are always so adorable!!! I couldn't decide who was the cuter siblings, Ricky and Lucy or Comet and Star. They are all so adorable!

Wanna meet us there??? It would be about equadistant for both of us...it's 2 solid hours for us. You could just hop on the tollroad and you're there.

Unfortunatly, I can't. We are having a garage sale at the dance studio to raise money for our Florida trip. It runs from Thursday throught the weekend and we have to work at some point. Since Ralph and I both have jobs, the only time we can work, is the weeken. Too bad they fall at the same time!

Bummer...that would have been fun!! Good luck with your garage sale too.

Thanks! Sooner or later will figure out a time and place to meet

Such a sad story, how can anyone be so horrible? If I lived in Indiana, I would visit the fund raiser. I hope that it is a success. Little Cassie is so cute.

Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
    The pups are put refuge are always so adorable!!! I couldn't decide who was the cuter siblings, Ricky and Lucy or Comet and Star. They are all so adorable!
    I liked Meeko and Coach! What a great pair!

I glad Cassie is doing so well. Does she have a permanent home yet?

Originally posted by mugsy
    Thank you so much Pam...I know that they will appreciate it. Mike and I are going to go to the garage sale next weekend.
    Molly, if Andy and I can make it, could Kia come?

What day do you think you and Mike would be there? Time?

I have to mapquest it to see how far it is from me.... I'll let you know!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Kimmy,

I don't see why Kia couldn't come...we're going to bring Sox and Sophie. Sophie came from there and I keep promising to bring her up and thought this would be a great opportunity.

I wouldn't think it would be much more than 2 hours for you either. I've got to get a hold of my friend who lives up there and see if she'll go too.

I told my mom about it and she doesn't want to drive up there, but she said she would send a donation with us and that we weren't allowed to bring Cassie home!! lol She hates the fact that we have 15 dogs, but I always tell her...they're mine and they're staying that way.

I would LOVE to meet you and Andy and of course, Kia. I want to see those baby blues up close and personal.

It really doesn't matter to me what time. On Saturday they're only going to be there until 2 in the afternoon, so probably late morning would work best, let me know.

Great!

I wouldn't think it would be much more than 2 hours for you either.
    Mapquest says it's over 3 hours but MapBlast says it's only 2. The way I drive... it'll take me an hour.

It really doesn't matter to me what time. On Saturday they're only going to be there until 2 in the afternoon, so probably late morning would work best, let me know.
    I'm such a dork!

I thought the garage sale was Saturday and Sunday. Now I see it's Friday and Saturday. I wouldn't be able to make it on Friday but Saturday, I think we could make it. I agree. Early afternoon.

I'll talk some more about it with Andy. I just mentioned it last night and he was getting out the Atlas trying to figure how long it would take.

But for now, I'd say we'd try to get there by 11 or Noon.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June