Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Calling all moms (and grandmoms)....

Calling all moms (and grandmoms)....

I have to take my step-daughter for her first pre-natal exam today. What type of questions should I ask? I have an hour to compile some questions

I'm waaayyyy out of my league here but I want to make sure we cover everything and start off on the right foot.

Yes, you read right..... I'm gonna be a grandma!!! Its all new to us and my step-daughter is petrified and still in denial that she could possibly be pregnant (denying it to herself).

We need all the prayers we can have today. Its going to really hit her hard once the doctor confirms everything (and she hears that heartbeat for the first time). As for me and hubby, we're ok. We've been pretty sure for a few weeks that she's pregnant, so we've had time to adjust to everything. She just found out last night.... all along she thought she had simply gotten fat.

Things really will change for her once she hears the heartbeat.. I was in total DENIAL untill then too.

I'm not sure what questions you should ask... but I am glad you guys are getting her into the doctor so her and the baby can start getting the care they need.

I hope she turns around for you. Good luck today at the doctor's office. Sending you guys some {{HUGS}}
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Hm, things to ask...

If this is the dr. you want to deliver the baby, be sure you know what hospital they deliver from.

If your daughter is interested in classes (which sounds like it would be a good idea) talk to the receptionist as they usually are the ones with the schedules.

Find out if your daughter has any dietary concerns while pregnant. Some women do, others don't.

That's all I can think of at present.
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Firstly, you need to find out just how pregnant she is, whether there is just the one heartbeat (sorry, but it happens) and make sure she goes to regular check ups for her sake and the little one's
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Brody's Mum
    Firstly, you need to find out just how pregnant she is, whether there is just the one heartbeat (sorry, but it happens) and make sure she goes to regular check ups for her sake and the little one's
    Well, since she's SWEARING it was 3 months ago, and based how much she's showing... and since twins run in hubby's family..... and since they skip a generation... guess her chances of twins: Pretty high!

God help us if she's having twins.

We're leaving now for the checkup.... one last deep breath. It'll be ok. We'll make it through.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS GRANDMA! The due date is a great question.... Make sure you get a due date. They may have a problem figuring that one out until they do a ultra sound since she is in such denial about this. Prenatal vitamines, will she need those? WHAT about her sports? < I would be sure to ask that one!

Maybe after the doctor confirms her pregnancy, get something for the baby... I'll tell you why.... When my Captain found out his daughter was pregnant, he was so upset and mad. The next trip back on the boat, I took a baby blanket for the baby... A beautuful white one trimmed with white satin trim... As he opened it, I told him "just think... in a few months, YOUR grandbaby will be in that blanket!" Only then did her realize that what had him so upset and mad was going to result in a sweet little life that he was going to love and adore... that was the day he realized "A BABY" was coming.... ( I also want to add that they have had that beautiful little boy since he was born and refuses to let his Mama take him home. He and his wife adore that baby and I really think they feel it is their baby instead of their grandbaby.)

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Kim,

This is a good time for a little stepmother-stepdaughter bonding, if ya know what I mean. I don't know whether hubby is up to it, and most guys, unless it's their wife, want no part of it, she's gonna need a labor room coach (if you catch my drift *wink, wink, nod, nod*) Unless she's expecting that dirtwad of a boyfriend in there with her (not unless he's hightailed it outta there by now), I think that is PERFECT timing for you and her to get better acquainted. She's gonna need someone to confide in. I'm sure she'll have TONS of questions. Once she sees that you're not the bad person she makes you out to be, she'll come around. Giving her a little time to get over the shock of being pregnant is wise. It's alot to absorb (or deny).

As for you and hubby, I've put you up there on the PT "High Test" Prayer List! This calls for a major candlelighting.

Laura,

A beautuful white one trimmed with white satin trim... As he opened it, I told him "just think... in a few months, YOUR grandbaby will be in that blanket!"
    What a wonderful idea and a great wake-up call!!! Made him see things through a whole other perspective.

HUGS and thoughts to you guys. You've got a long road ahead of you. All of us at PT have wide shoulders and big ears, and we're here for you.

I think Donna is a nice name, don't you?

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    Well, since she's SWEARING it was 3 months ago, and based how much she's showing... and since twins run in hubby's family..... and since they skip a generation... guess her chances of twins: Pretty high!

God help us if she's having twins.
    I feel for you I really do.....have been through this twice with mine (plus terminations but that is a whole different thread). Your stepdaughter and mine sound so alike its scary.......

Apart from the obvious I found it quite hard to watch my husband's disappointment in his daughter - if you need to chat to someone who knows exactly what you're going through feel free to contact me

I'm a twin and from what I can gather once the babies are old enough to take notice of each other it gets a whole lot easier - I always had a playmate!
    Last edited by Pawsitive Thinking; 03-23-2006 at 09:38 AM.

You may be at the doctor's appt. already...but let me think of some things you want to ask...

First off, she may need an ultrasound to determine how far along she is, if she is showing already, with her first, she could be as far along as 5 months ( since you don't always show right away with your first).

Prenatal vitamins.

They will probably run lots of blood work, i think i had 7 viles taken the first few weeks, just for checking for normal things that they check during pregnancy.

I am sure the doctor will cover everything that she will need to know...it all will depend on how far along she is too, on what blood work/tests they will do...

If she has had spotting (like you said she may have), then they should know that, they may want to do an internal, or an internal ultrasound to check her cervix ( if she is spotting)...i had this done.

Also, family history of things lik diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. will need to be noted at some point...incase she is at an increased risk to get it herself.

Anyway, if you have ANY pregnancy questions, do not hestitate to PM me, I have been there done that (doing that) , and would love to be of any help to you and your daughter. (((HUGS))) Hope the appt. goes well and she is okay, physically and emotionally.

Robyn

She passed out when she heard the heartbeat. Make that TWO heartbeats. TWINS!
    We have a 2:30 ultrasound appointment to confirm what we heard and the doctor saw.

OMG!

And how are you in all this?

Good gracious - double-ly surprising. Good luck with the afternoon appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    She passed out when she heard the heartbeat. Make that TWO heartbeats. TWINS!
    We have a 2:30 ultrasound appointment to confirm what we heard and the doctor saw.
    WoW!! Well i guess that could explain why she is showing already...if she is still early on...((((HUGS)))) to you both, I will add your step daughter to my prayers.

Robyn

Oh boy is the boy toy and family going to love this!!!! Congrats (I think) boy is she in for a reality check. Prayers to you and hubby.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

TWO??????

H@ly $6it!!! You're kidding, right????

This calls for a major candlelighting.

Major candlelighting? Hell, this calls for a freakin bonfire!! (Mumbles *logs of wood, check.matches, check.charcoal lighter,check.LOTS of newspaper.*)check.

Just trying to add a bit of humor. Sorry if it backfired.

If you need a shoulder, Kim, call me. I think you have my cellphone. I can call you right back as I have TONS of minutes.

Love,

Donna

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!