Thread: Seresto collar for ticks?

Seresto collar for ticks?

Has anyone ever used a Seresto collar for ticks? We have Cash, our GSD, on Frontline for flea and tick protection but we still have to pull ticks off him in the spring. We just found 3 the other day after our recent camping trip, 1 on his leg and 2 on his ear.
    Someone recommended the Seresto collar to keep ticks off him in the first place but I really do not know much about it other than what I Googled and saw on their website.

He has the Lyme vaccine so I am not too worried about that - but of course, nothing is 100%.

Not sure if he can wear this Seresto collar AND be on Frontline? Don't want to overdo it with the meds. At the same time, we spend almost every weekend camping and any extra protection we can give him, without doing him any harm, of course, would be tempting.

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!
    Last edited by jennifert9; 04-19-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Hey, welcome back! Nothing to add on the Seresto front, but I am sure others will have some input!
    I've Been Frosted

I've never used a flea collar on Jasper, but when we hike I do wipe him down with tick repelling wipes. He's already on Frontline, but we're in a pretty tick-heavy area.

Thanks Karen! I hope to be able to be more active here again....I have my Kindle Fire to post from now too so I can get online more often. And we also did get a new dog, Cash. I will have to post some pics in the intro thread here soon. :-)
    Snakemama- I have not seen tick repelling wipes but I will be looking for them now! It's been a wet spring here in PA and the ticks are abundant from what I am hearing. Obviously when we camp, Cash is outside all day except for sleeping in the camper at night. I know the Frontline kills them once they bite but I hate the thought that they bite him at all....poor baby. They are such nasty little critters, those ticks.
    The Seresto website says it repels them for 8 months but we would probably only keep the collar on him when we are camping and not all the time. I will have to check with the vet though because it does say the active ingredient seeps into the dog's bloodstream via the collar and I am not sure if that is really the solution we are looking for? Those tick repelling wipes you mentioned however may be the ticket....we can just wipe him down in the am everyday.
    Thank you!

I have seen those collars at a local pet store, and when I asked them about them they said they were new, But the customers that have bought them said they worked well. But, I have no personal experience.

We use Trifexis

From memory, they've been out for awhile, just available through vets only.

When I was in school, our instructors told us that while flea collars are generally useless and a complete waste of money, the Seresto collars were the only ones that actually do work.

Keep in mind, though, to follow the directions exactly. The collar has to be fitted quite snugly and you have to "re-break" the collar after swimming or if it gets wet, or it stops working. Otherwise... yes, they do work.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse26 View Post
    We use Trifexis
    Trifexis does not protect against ticks.

facebook

Re: Seresto collar

Wow I never heard of this kind of collar but I google and:
    http://www.1800petmeds.com/Seresto-p...FQ2hOgodsAoAtQ

http://www.wag.com/buy?s=seresto&utm...m_term=seresto

Hope this helps!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I did some reading up on this, and it seems like it is well liked and effective. I ordered one For Wolfy at www.chewy.com for $42.99 and got free shipping since I had a few other things that I needed from them too. I like this idea better than a spot on treatment, and last Fall in NC, the Advantax II didn't even work for him. The Seresto works out to be a whole lot cheaper than Advantix too. He's not outside for extended periods of time, so I'm hoping for good results. We'll see................
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by jennifert9 View Post

He has the Lyme vaccine so I am not too worried about that - but of course, nothing is 100%.
    Absolutely correct. Sparky and Myndi had the Lyme vaccine every year, but Sparky ended up with Lyme's once. What is strange about it, is when he was exhibiting symptoms, his vet tested him, and it came up negative for Lyme's. He continued to get worse, so on a hunch, she went with the 30 day antibiotic treatment, and he responded and got well. So it's possible to get a false reading on the test, as well as getting the disease after vaccination. Go figure.....
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

We used the collar last year and had no issues with it other than wearing through the fur on a very thin-furred puppy. Just put it on her now that the weather is warming up again, a touch looser so it won't irritate the skin.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    We used the collar last year and had no issues with it other than wearing through the fur on a very thin-furred puppy. Just put it on her now that the weather is warming up again, a touch looser so it won't irritate the skin.
    Thanks LH. I'm glad to know of someone I personally know ( to some degree ), has had good results, and I don't have to go with just the reviews I've read. I got Wolfy's on Monday, but haven't put it on him yet - that's on today's to-do list.

And just an FYI..........if you ever order any pet supplies on line, take a look at www.chewy.com I placed my order last Friday afternoon and it was delivered Monday, and it wasn't expedited delivery - just standard. Can't get any better time than that, and they have a tremendous selection and great prices too. They are based in Harrisburg, PA, so that's in pretty close proximity. This was my 2nd order with them, and I got the same great service with the 1st one, also.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Update

Thanks everyone for the replies! Cash and I just got home from his yearly "routine" vet visit (although it was anything BUT routine! More on that later!)

But I did ask the vet about tick protection and what she recommends. It seems that there really isn't anything out there that will repel ticks, they will get on the dog and try to attach regardless. She said that the collars really work well on the front 20% of the dog which is where the ticks usually get on the dogs to begin with; they go into the woods face first and the ticks are opportunistic and "jump" (not literally) at the first thing that comes along.
    She did say that you can use the Frontline and the collars together however so that is good news.

We did get a tick collar to try on Cash but it is not the Seresto brand - this one is called Scalibor. Same concept as the Seresto collar, however not sure if it is the same active ingredient as I need to read the paperwork yet tonight. My vet did say that they started selling/prescribing these last summer and she had only had positive reviews from clients so far BUT the brand name was different last year...that brand is on back order. Of course, I cannot remember the name she said it was but I guess that one works well...if anyone says it, I will remember...

I asked if we could only use it when camping - just to avoid pumping more chemicals into poor Cash-ew than necessary but unfortunately, it takes about 2-3 weeks to start working so that it builds up - I guess in their bloodstream.

FYI - There are a couple more options she showed me but she was VERY adamant against Certifect. Which is made by the same folks that make Frontline, but has an additional ingredient in it that is supposed to kill ticks faster. She said that the pets may be able to ingest the medication via grooming and it has has been known to cause neurological issues. So tell your friends...NO Certifect!

Anyway....we will try this new collar and will let y'all know how it works! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Absolutely correct. Sparky and Myndi had the Lyme vaccine every year, but Sparky ended up with Lyme's once. What is strange about it, is when he was exhibiting symptoms, his vet tested him, and it came up negative for Lyme's. He continued to get worse, so on a hunch, she went with the 30 day antibiotic treatment, and he responded and got well. So it's possible to get a false reading on the test, as well as getting the disease after vaccination. Go figure.....
    Yup. Similar to bordetella vaccines in the sense that it doesn't always prevent your dog from CONTRACTING bordetella but may lesson symptoms of it if they do get it (granted, there are SO MANY strains of bordetella that it would be impossible to have a vaccine that included them all).

facebook