Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

I challenge people's opinions, as do many here. Pardon me for not giving you the echo chamber you so desperately desire.

The only desperate desire I have is to watch American Funniest Home Videos. It's Christmas themed.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Less than an hour ago I was reading the stories of the children murdered in this incident and crying with each one. As a retired elementary teacher, every new face of one of these victims left me more wrung out, thinking of all the hundreds of children I knew through my 32 years in the classroom. Then I make the mistake of opening up this thread and reading it. I don't have the stomach for the tone of this discussion. I'm sorry I stuck my head in to check it out; I won't be looking at this thread again.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Speaking of hyperbole, now calling something straight out of an agitprop playbook is blaming the media? I'm not stating that no one can have these thoughts on their own, however, it's........amusing..........to say the least how well interlocked the statements about certain topics are.

If you're admitting you're head is empty, I'm not going to argue.
    Opps! You missed a word!
    the media's agitprop playbook
    I too have asked repeatedly that people not use tragedies to push political agendas....but you just keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Opps! You missed a word!

I too have asked repeatedly that people not use tragedies to push political agendas....but you just keep doing it.
    You have trolled the internet for most of the time this discussion has been allowed, posting incident after incident to stir the pot and fuel your ego and your crusade. There have been many tragic accidents and intentional incidents involving motor vehicles, but they don't involve your personal bugbear, so you don't post about those. Instead you consistently use tragedies and use the deaths of others to stroke your own ego.

You haven't asked anything of the sort, and get madder than a wet hen when the discussion turns against you, as shown by your constant derisive comments and slams directed at those who disagree with you.

By the by, leeches are very much a part of modern medicine, so nice try, but no cigar.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

What?

Such nasty comments. I will not visit this place for a long time. Shame on you all.

Name:  puppies-n-rainbows.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  149.8 KB

Thank you, Richard!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Out of interest...

Regarding the idea of 'using tragedies to push political agendas': I understand that the Republican/Democrat divide can run very deep on this forum. I would hope that those on either side of the political spectrum would not dust off their own stance on gun laws and then apply it to this tragedy, but rather acknowledge the tragedy, and all that it entails, and apply THAT to their stance on gun laws. What's the point of politics if it's unadaptable? What drives politics if not turmoil and outcry?

If parties and their supporters were to put age-old sentiment above what's happening here-and-now, then there'd be no point to any of them. I'd like to see opposing parties (in the UK too) work together a little more in times like this and set out clear goals for tackling crime, instead of using every tragedy to bicker about everything hypothetical and trivial, and thus achieve nothing.

Zimbabwe 07/13

I can only begin to imagine what this father must feel like. But this man is my new hero. A story I am certain will not make the "usual" media outlets. (Nothing editorial here, links to the actual statements.)

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/grie...illers-family/

The light will always push away the dark.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    I can only begin to imagine what this father must feel like. But this man is my new hero. A story I am certain will not make the "usual" media outlets. (Nothing editorial here, links to the actual statements.)

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/grie...illers-family/

The light will always push away the dark.
    I saw this interview live on Saturday, and I had a difficult time holding back the tears. What a strong, amazing, compassionate and forgiving man. He's an inspiration to all.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z View Post
    Regarding the idea of 'using tragedies to push political agendas': I understand that the Republican/Democrat divide can run very deep on this forum. I would hope that those on either side of the political spectrum would not dust off their own stance on gun laws and then apply it to this tragedy, but rather acknowledge the tragedy, and all that it entails, and apply THAT to their stance on gun laws. What's the point of politics if it's unadaptable? What drives politics if not turmoil and outcry?

If parties and their supporters were to put age-old sentiment above what's happening here-and-now, then there'd be no point to any of them. I'd like to see opposing parties (in the UK too) work together a little more in times like this and set out clear goals for tackling crime, instead of using every tragedy to bicker about everything hypothetical and trivial, and thus achieve nothing.

The real issue here is that gun laws wouldn't have prevented this, but better mental health care might have. It's almost impossible for a parent to legally commit a child, which is purely wrong.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    The real issue here is that gun laws wouldn't have prevented this, but better mental health care might have. It's almost impossible for a parent to legally commit a child, which is purely wrong.
    Just turned on Katie. Two very loving forgiving parents were just interviewed. The father said the young man who did the shooting had it rougher then him. What a brave father he is & so forgiving. He has made the world a better place already. God Bless Him & All The People Affected By This Tragedy
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

LH - have a look at the "I Am Adam Lanza's Mother" posted in this forum. It addresses the mental health aspect and the Dems are saying they have to look at that in addition to any weapons controls.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Don't need to, I have a coworker who has a stepchild with severe bipolar. Took the child to the ER after the child physically assaulted both parents, had the police meet them there to restrain the child, and the ER doc refused to commit the child because 20 minutes after the attacks the kid was "just fine, there's no reason to commit the darling"

So.......I can buy any gun I want now and if I should have some kind of mental problem later on....

-----------------------------

i used to work with a reserve police officer for a small PD.

One day I walked around the corner and saw her with a bottle of nail polish, painting 'smilie faces' on the hollow point bullets. She packed a small .32 cal pistol as an off-duty piece and had unloaded the mag to do her thing.

I looked and did whatever I had to do, when I walked back she stopped me for my advice.

I kinda laughed then went to the bosses office to let her know.