Thread: Lambs, a crow and geese

Lambs, a crow and geese

A small selection of the photos taken by my granddaughter, Dannielle, over the last few months.

I think it will be quite some time, if ever, that I will once again welcome lamb on my plate.

Scary!

Thief!

She has quite some talent! And very young, isn't she?

What darling little babies!

Poor babies, their tails are tied . That crow picture is awesome.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Beautiful photos!! But it also makes me sad. I will never understand how anyone could eat these beautiful and innocent creatures. *sigh*

Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    Poor babies, their tails are tied . That crow picture is awesome.
    Why are they tied? To make them fall off? That IS sad!! Why not just dock them quickly and get it over with! And why dock them at all, is there a point? Obviously not appearance, like with some dogs.

I honestly had NO idea that sheep had long tails that were docked. I just assumed, being a city girl, that sheep were born with short tails.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Great pics.

the picture of the goose reminds me of Charlottes web "T double E double R double R double I double F double I double C C C... Terrific" lol

I've only had lamb once... not bad. they are cute though.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

When we visited Scotland last year we always felt we had to adopt one of the lambies. And no I can't eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    She has quite some talent! And very young, isn't she?
    Thanks Sara. Yes, Dannielle is young, thirteen.

Sorry if I upset anyone by posting the lamb pictures. Sheep, and in the spring their lambs, are very prevalent around where we live and seeing them has turned me against having them as food. I think perhaps I was hoping it would have a similar effect on someone on seeing them here.

Though after some research on the tail docking, I was happy to find that it seems those particular lambs are not bred for the table but for their wool.

Tail docking, or removing the lower part of the lamb's tail soon after birth, is a practice carried out primarily on wool sheep breeds.

Docking prevents faecal matter from accumulating on the tail and hindquarters. Research has shown that tail docking greatly reduces fly strike (or Blow-fly strike, or Myiasis), whilst having no major effect on lamb mortality or production, if carried out correctly. Docking also makes it easier to shear the sheep.

Yep, they're tied to make them die and fall off. From what I understand the wool can become matted and restrict movement of the tail causing a big mess or causing the tail to get stuck while being shaved. So I suppose it has a purpose for those cuties raised for wool, but I too wish they'd do it some quicker way. They're soo cute.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton