Thread: Sick Ferret

Sick Ferret

I own four ferrets all at or over the age of 7 and they go to the vet every year but my vet or any vet in this town doesn't know or even want to treat ferrets. Anyway one of my male ferrets is completly bald except fo his head I took him to the vet but she said it's normal for older ferrets. He is still eating and drinking fine for the most part. He isn't gaining any wieght though. He is so thin to me. I need some help!! I just can't go put him to sleep unless that's what I HAVE to do. One of my other male ferrets has a small eraser size bump on the very top of his head that turns from black looking to skin color. My babies are getting old and I'm at a loss now

Your bald ferret has adrenal gland disease. He needs to see a vet immediately. At the very least he should be having monthly lupron shots.

The black spot could be mast cell tumor, is it just one spot? Does it come and go?
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I thought that's what he had after doing research on it. He has had it for a year now. My vet doesn't know much at all about ferrets. The only thing she know is what yearly shots to give. Will he live very much longer with Adrenal disease? What other signs are there with Adrenal disease? He is already 9 years old. No the bump doesn't come and go it just stays.

My first ferret to get adrenal disease lasted 10 months without surgery with montly lupron shots. His prostate gland grew uncontrollably (can happen with adrenal disease) and he had to be PTS because he could no longer go potty.

My second ferret to get adrenal disease had the surgery within 2 months of diagnosis and was symptom free until this summer when he started to lose all of his hair again. He's had double lupron shots (he's big so needs a double dose) for several months now, to no benefit, he's still losing hair. Apparently even though the glands were removed the tissue can grow back - crap!! Last month he got his lupron and a melatonin injection. We were to see hair growth in 4-6 weeks - nothing yet (exactly 4 weeks this Saturday).

Other signs of adrenal disease are: overly aggressive, very smelly, of course, the inability to go potty and there are a few others I forget. Neither of mine got aggressive or smelly.

Since this ferret is 9 he probably isn't a surgery candidate (it's expensive) but could surely benefit from monthly lupron shots.

As for the head bump, I'm not sure. I have a very, very good ferret vet here so if you posted a photo of it I could take it with to our next appointment and have her look at it.
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

If you go to Google and type in the following searches there is a myriad of information.

Ferret Adrenal Disease

Ferret Tumors

born in Missouri, presently in California

Lupron to the Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by husky_lover
    I own four ferrets all at or over the age of 7 and they go to the vet every year but my vet or any vet in this town doesn't know or even want to treat ferrets. Anyway one of my male ferrets is completly bald except fo his head I took him to the vet but she said it's normal for older ferrets. He is still eating and drinking fine for the most part. He isn't gaining any wieght though. He is so thin to me. I need some help!! I just can't go put him to sleep unless that's what I HAVE to do. One of my other male ferrets has a small eraser size bump on the very top of his head that turns from black looking to skin color. My babies are getting old and I'm at a loss now
    I, too, have 4 ferrets. The trouble you (they) have is adrenal disease, also known as Addisons Disease. Balding is NOT "normal," but is caused mostly by adrenal disease. Trouble is, that is what is not unusual in ferrets. The chances of a ferret developing adrenal disease is increased the earlier your baby is spayed or neutered. Most breeders spay or neuter at around 6 weeks of age. This way, they can be sold earlier. This is prior to the "prime time" for spaying/neutering in kits.

Balding is the 1st symptom of adrenal disease. Also, cysts or tumors are common. If you are very close to your ferrets, you may note more aggressive behavior, and even "territory" marking, as this disease will affect the sex glands.

Your ferrets should really see a vet specializing in exotics, and familiar with ferrets. If you catch the disease early enough, Lupron can control it well. You start with once a month, then taper off as they need it. The fur usually grows back. But at the first sign of new balding, tumors, or unusual behavior, get them back in for another shot.

It's the tumors - which can become cancerous or interfere with normal bodily functions - that can be the real problem. So make sure you check the little guys regularly.