Thread: Arnold Schwarzenegger trying to shorten mandatory hold periods on dogs in CA shelters

Arnold Schwarzenegger trying to shorten mandatory hold periods on dogs in CA shelters

From Bestfriends.org:

Governor Targets California Shelter Animals Again
    June 6, 2009 : 2:40 PM
    Help Fight the Proposed Shortened Shelter Holding Period

To California Residents:

Governor Schwarzenegger is endangering homeless pets by resurrecting an inhumane and unpopular budget proposal in an attempt to recover an estimated 0.1 percent of the state's $24 billion deficit. The Governor is once again threatening to suspend the Hayden Bill, known as the “Animal Adoption Mandate”, which protects stray pets by imposing a minimum four-to-six day holding period in government-run animal shelters to stave off euthansia. In an attempt to curb the budget crisis, Schwarzenegger wants to shorten the holding period in shelters to three days, which dramatically shortens a homeless cat or dog's chance at adoption prior to euthanasia.

The Governor's proposal has other implications as well. Reducing the holding period to three days also decreases a lost family pet's chance at being reunited with his/her family. With the suspension of the Hayden Bill, the foreclosure crisis would present an even more dire choice for struggling families who must surrender their beloved pets to shelters. Schwarzenegger's budget proposal decreases a surrendered or abandoned animal's chance for survival by fifty percent when the odds are already stacked against these innocent victims.

Don't let Schwarzenegger classify our state's animals as fiscal waste. Your opposition to this heartless budget proposal can increase a homeless pet's survival odds.

Email the Governor to oppose: http://gov.ca.gov/interact#email

He tried to pull that crap before and his daughter put him in his place. What an idiot.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Thank you = He is such a A-Wipe.. Why dont they just shorten his PayCk & that should help alot..
    Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    He tried to pull that crap before and his daughter put him in his place. What an idiot.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Actually I don't think he takes any pay because he is so wealthy...guess he is earning his pay...

I have been frosted!

Ummppss == Ok Plan B == Lets cut his staff in half.. I know they get pay checks.. So that would help..
    Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Actually I don't think he takes any pay because he is so wealthy...guess he is earning his pay...

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I don't get how this would help financially. Wouldn't it cost more to euthanize all these animals? Or wouldn't it be about the same cost as keeping them a few more days to find them homes?

I hope this doesn't go through.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Well the local shelters here keep them as long as they can anyway, even the horrible shelter where I got casey had her past her pts date because they had the room so hopefully even if it passes they will ignore the idiot.

I have been frosted!

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    I don't get how this would help financially. Wouldn't it cost more to euthanize all these animals? Or wouldn't it be about the same cost as keeping them a few more days to find them homes?

I'll bet you're right. It's a terrible choice to gain very little revenue. I am
    sure he could look elsewhere for budget cuts.

He is after all the Terminator. I hope the Hayden bill stays in force. Maybe his
    daughter will step in again.