Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitty kidney transplant

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Kitty kidney transplant

IMOM.org has an interesting case right now. Walter is a 5 year old cat who was adopted from the shelter 3 years ago by his loving owners. Walter is now suffering from acute renal failure, and his only chance at living is a kidney transplant.

I didn't even know they performed kidney transplants on cats. I thought you guys might be interested in following Walter's story. Hopefully it will have a good outcome.

Walter's purrrents have spent a lot of money to save their baby. IMOM is trying to help them raise the final $3000.

If you are in a position to donate, please see this thread: http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?showtopic=8277
    No amount is too small.

Additional background for Walter is here: http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?showtopic=8254
    Walter's family has flown with him to Gainsville, Florida where he is awaiting treatment -- if funds can be raised in time.

Please cross-post Walter's story. Please donate if you can. And let's all wish him well. He sure hit the jackpot when he chose his family. They are really going the extra mile to keep their baby happy and healthy.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I have never heard of a kitty kidney transplant! Is he on dialysis now? Just curious!
    I've Been Frosted

I've heard of kidney transplants between cats. I think there have been a few done in Colorado. University of Wisconsin also does them.

The cat who donates the kidney has to have a home to go to after the surgery - I think that is a requirement at reputable transplant centers. I remember reading about a transplant done out West - the donor cat was found in a Shelter and was subsequently adopted by the recipients family.

Happy story all around

Gretchen, do you know if Michigan State does them?

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Gretchen, do you know if Michigan State does them?

Pat
    Yes, MSU has done them. Here is a list of facilities in the USA that participate -

University of California, Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine, Davis, CA

Angell-Memorial Animal Hospital, 350 S. Huntington Ave, Boston, MA

Animal Medical Center, 510 East 62nd Street, New York, NY

Michigan State University, Veterinarian Teaching Hospital, College of Veterinary Medicine, Lansing, MI

Orchard Park Veterinary Medical Center, 3507 Orchard Park Road, Orchard Park, NY

Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin, 2015 Linden Drive, West Madison, WI

Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA

Companion Animal Hospital, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY

Small Animal Hospital, Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL

Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC

All-Care Animal Referral Center, Fountain Valley, CA

I've heard about kidney transplants in cats before but I have my doubts. You know that my Filou survived renal disease for 5 years- and he was only 14 when he left for Rainbow Bridge but I would have never considered to put him through a kidney transplant surgery. Plus there is another thing: in humans you talk about "donating" because the person donating a kidney can decide whether he or she wants to do that- it is a risk even for the donator but he can willingly take the risk to help another person.
    A cat does not have that decision and I feel it would not be ok if I decided that this cat has to "donate".
    We cannot fix everything that will lead to death finally and we have to live with it. It is sad but it is life.

Barbara, my sister donated a kidney to her daughter, Sam. While I would never downplay the significance of a major surgery, her recovery was pretty 'easy', so to speak. She was restricted on physical activity for 6 weeks, takes no medications, and is 'normal' as she ever will be...he he he...that is just in case she or my mom is reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    I've heard about kidney transplants in cats before but I have my doubts. You know that my Filou survived renal disease for 5 years- and he was only 14 when he left for Rainbow Bridge but I would have never considered to put him through a kidney transplant surgery. Plus there is another thing: in humans you talk about "donating" because the person donating a kidney can decide whether he or she wants to do that- it is a risk even for the donator but he can willingly take the risk to help another person.
    A cat does not have that decision and I feel it would not be ok if I decided that this cat has to "donate".
    We cannot fix everything that will lead to death finally and we have to live with it. It is sad but it is life.
    [size]I agree. Celebrity Robin Quivers of Howard Stern radio fame in New York had a kidney transplant (cost was around fifteen grand!) performed on one of her cats, and it was part of the deal that she adopt the donor cat. Both cats are doing well. My Schuyler is going through CRF (chronic renal failure) and if I had the means to afford such a surgery I would not put him (and a donor cat) through it, partly because cancer is also suspected in Schuyler.

My brother-in-law donated a kidney to his sister several years ago and they both doing fine.
    [/SIZE]
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

News: $915 raise for Walter! Money dance is happening. Come on IMOM Angels, keep spreading the word.

A movie (if I've done this right)of sweet Walter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7a7O...yer_detailpage

BTW: Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, and if it doesn't happen he has to undergo another dialysis treatment costing $500!
    Last edited by kuhio98; 02-28-2012 at 01:11 PM.

An updated post from Walter's family says that they will be adopting the donor cat also.

Though, I hope to never have need for this treatment, it is interesting to know that it is available.

FUND UPDATE

<drum roll>

Walter has $1425 - almost HALF WAY THERE!!!

IMOM members have been issuing matching challenges. They will match your donation up to $100. Turn your $1 into $2.

Please cross-post Walter's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Barbara, my sister donated a kidney to her daughter, Sam. While I would never downplay the significance of a major surgery, her recovery was pretty 'easy', so to speak. She was restricted on physical activity for 6 weeks, takes no medications, and is 'normal' as she ever will be...he he he...that is just in case she or my mom is reading this.
    I just meant to say that living with one kidney is a risk which we all would be happy to take if we could help a person whom we love, especially a kid. But the donor kitty has no chance to say no- just philosophically speaking....

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    As much as I love my 2 dogs, and now matter how devastated I would be if something like this happened to them, i could NEVER put either of them, or a donor, thru such an ordeal. Too many times our heart overrules our head, and I personally feel that it needs to stop somewhere. And the money involved in something like this could be put to use doing research for better animal health, or go to shelters to help feed and find homes for so many healthy, but less fortunate critters. IMO - for what it's worth.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

News from IMOM:

Ronit sends her thanks for everyone's energy, love, support & donations. She is on her way to sign the adoption papers for the donor cat right now. They call him "Gizmo", but Ronit is partial to "Orville Paws". She is just trying to stay busy instead of sitting in the waiting room biting her nails.

Our journey is just beginning, with surgery, recovery, Orville's acclimation & the reunion of our family after being apart for so long. I am so grateful to have all of you to be a part of it.

IMOM is amazing. All of you are incredible human beings. We need more like you. I hope you will all teach me to acquire some of your kindness & compassion. It has been an honor getting to know all of you.
    ALL FUNDS RAISED!!! ALL FUNDS RAISED!!! ALL FUNDS RAISED!!!

Walter just hit $3000! So we're moving the thread, and bringing out as many bananas as we can manage:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, you wonderful angels!!! I am doing the happy dance here!! You never fail to amaze me.

I can't wait for James to come by.....please lets all send good thoughts and prayers for Walter. He should be on his way to surgery as we speak.

Cindy/IMOM

BTW ~ Dancing bananas on IMOM is a way of remembering a kitty named Teddy who fought a good battle for years. Her favorite toy in the world was a fabric banana.

That's truly wonderful news. I'm very pleased for the family and for Walter, and for the donor cat who is getting a new home. It's also wonderful that IMOM has been able to keep going with 99% of people feeling the economic pinch.

I don't understand the concern for a donor cat, beyond worrying that he will do well with the surgery. The cats selected to be donors are all shelter cats and let's remember that 70% of all cats in shelters end up being euthanized. It's true we can't give a cat the choice of dying or losing a kidney and being adopted, but I know what my choice would be as a human. My concern for animals being used without choice is for those in labs being used in their thousands for testing so we can have the latest glue, or caulk, or injectable foam insulation, or medication, or cleaning product.

Just my take on this.