Thread: Is Telly throwing a tantrum?? Softpaws!! Biting?!!

Is Telly throwing a tantrum?? Softpaws!! Biting?!!

Hi everyone!! My boy Telly is about 8 months old now we guess.... Ever since I got him he scratches things he shouldn't- I have all kinds of scratching things - I've catnipped them to death -- told him NO! when he scratches something he shouldnt - move him to the scratcher - etc... it seems that he does it out of spite - all I have to do is look at him and he runs away when he's scratching something he shouldnt. I got a new couch last week - all I had before was a used loveseat - and I need a couch for guests to sleep on when they come.. it's microfiber - the sales person said cats don't like it cuz it's smooth - he was scratching it only moments after it was delivered!! I put sticky paws on it - and it helps a lil - but i can't put sticky paws everywhere. So on Friday i bought a package of "softpaws" the lil caps that go over their nails, I followed the directions - made sure they are all fitting snugly....he seemed fine afterwards - but yesterday he's starting BITING the new couch cushions - tearing and gnawing at them - I used bitter apple spray and that seems to have helped - now he's running around like a nut - he doesnt seem to be in pain?? I followed the directions to take the soft paws off - but they dont seem to budge as they should...... I've played with him - worn him out to the point he's panting... it's not lack of play - I gave him tons of treats after applying the softpaws - he's lost 3 of them so far - within the first 2 hours - he was biting at them... He's attacking me in my bed and this morning I left the bathroom door open - and he jumped in the tub was "digging" - he's never done this before..... what can I do?? what am i doing wrong? im sorry this was long but I feel helpless! At the same time, he's been cuddly, and sleeping and eating normally....

Boy, he does sound like a little stinker. The only other thing I can suggest is to squirt him w/a water gun when he scratches the furniture. I know, I don't like doing it either but it doesn't hurt them and it gets the message across. One good thing about microfiber is that his scratching shouldn't hurt it. I have several pieces and my Creamsicle had that bad habit for a while and it didn't hurt anything. Creamsicle is a CH baby and deaf and if she can be trained not to scratch furniture, Telly can too, so don't despair. Perhaps someone else on PT will have better advice for you. Good luck.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I's do the squirt bottle too. I hardly have to use mine anymore, all I have to do is shake it now and that stops them.

He is young, still a kitten evan though he is probably looking grown. As his Mommie, you will have to teach him a lot of things so get started..

I used the soft paws on Giz until she "matured" and she was downright funny with them. She would run off as soon as I let her go and start bitting her nails, trying to get them off. Sometimes she would get one or two of them off, sometimes she wouldn't and I found it amusing watching her try.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Here are a few ideas to add to your supply:

1. Mix a squirt bottle, 1/3 white vinegar, 2/3 water. Spray where you do NOT want him to scratch. It should be mild enough that YOU will not notice the smell, but he WILL. At the same time, rub the catnip on HIS things for him to scratch. This way both scents are strong at the same time.

2. Water squirt bottle as several others have mentioned. The BEST training tool, IMO.

3. Double sided sticky tape You can gt it at Home Depot, or Michael's (craft stores). I had to put a strip of that down the edge of my sofa for a time. Looks silly but you only need it up for a week or 2.

Best wishes!

Problem is, with the squirt method, the cats are smart enough only to scratch when you are away. Just like going on countertops.
    Has anyone ever heard of an electronic device that you set on your couch, that senses vibration and yells at your cat for you?
    I do think I read about something along that lines.

Only thing is, it will activate if you cats just want to sit on the couch and behave themselves too.

There is a plastic sheeting that comes in larger sizes than the double sided sticky. You can find it in Lowe's or HD, and it is like a carpet runner that is used in new, model homes to protect the carpet. It is sticky on one side.

I also have used a cover for the couch, that is loose fitting. Just a piece of material from the fabric store. They don't like to scratch on loose stuff.

TUBSTER PANTHER IS A SCRATCHER TOO, BUT IF I GO OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW HE STOPS.
    IF THEY SCRATCH THE FURNITURE, I DONT CARE AS ITS ALL SECOND HAND FREE STUFF!
    I HOPE YOU CAN TAME YOUR WILD CAT..
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

thank you all!! i will definitely try the squirt bottle method!

The squirt bottle the best. We have bottles placed through out the house. every one knows when a bottle is picked up , and it's time to run for the hills. CREW NOTE: especially dad cause he is a real good shot and you never turn and growl or hiss because you get real wet.
    GILL & Crew;