Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kabootle Ranch!! UPDATE

I feel like Craig does a great job with this many cats.. Now I wonder where all the money does come from for the feedings & vet care.. You know it cost alot to do.. I am guessing with Donations..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Donations

My understanding is that Craig leases his land to the Ranch and (the cats and) the lease is paid by donations. Craig lives there, with the cats, in a make shift trailer/office/home.

As you can see in the pictures, the cats live in little houses and have 30 acres to roam.

One of the gripes this volunteer had was that Craig did not try to rehome any cats. Well, when you get into that, it means you have to do home visits and run checks etc. It seems to me, these cats are at their last and final destination. There are plenty of cats trying to find homes. I did wonder about that aspect of the rescue not making adoptions available, but now that I think about it, how can one person do all of the care AND find homes for cats.

They do have some required shots before you can drop off cats.

Anyway, I think the fact that all of these cats stay there until the end, may put off some folks from dropping their cats off there.........but not totally, or Craig wouldn't have 500 cats. By the way, I didn't see that many cats in the photos, so there must be other places they hang out.

I hope everyone listens to and watches the Youtube video of the woman complaining about how the Ranch is being run. It might educate you a little more about how the place is run. I don't agree with the woman's opinion.

As a long time and respected member of PT, I trust Sas and her research and opinion. Make your own decision but consider hers. Thanks for following up Sas. There are alot of personalities out there. We can't always agree but I think we all agree it's about the animals. Bottom line.

SAS thanks for the update. Appreciate the effort and it's nice to know this might be a case of sour apples.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Thought I'd update this thread re Caboodle Ranch.

Sadly, one person can NOT care for 500 cats. PETA did an investigation, took video; now officials have taken over the cats and the man, Craig, has been charged with cruelty.

WARNING: The video on this link is VERY disturbing and upsetting. The photo at the top of the page will make you cringe. I could not find a way to read the article without the pics and had to stop.

http://www.peta.org/features/caboodl...dex=3#comments

I watched the video and I can't tell you how hard I cried, I am still crying. This just breaks my heart...for all the cats that have suffered there, the loss of a wonferful place that was started with good intentions... It was a beautiful idea that turned into a nightmare for many beautiful babies.. This is just heartbreaking!

I knew we had a good source that warned us about taking those cats down there and it was not just a disgruntled former volunteer, but I still had hope that things would turn around.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Anne

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Thought I'd update this thread re Caboodle Ranch.

Sadly, one person can NOT care for 500 cats. PETA did an investigation, took video; now officials have taken over the cats and the man, Craig, has been charged with cruelty.

WARNING: The video on this link is VERY disturbing and upsetting. The photo at the top of the page will make you cringe. I could not find a way to read the article without the pics and had to stop.

http://www.peta.org/features/caboodl...dex=3#comments
    I had seen the documentary about this place on Animal Planet some time ago and was quite in awe of the whole operation. I had no idea that there was a problem with it. After reading this post, I chose not to watch the video, so I don't really know what happened, and I guess I really don't want to know either, since it sounds pretty darn bad. Good intentions gone wrong, it would seem. That's sad....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Words can not express the feelings I felt after watching the video. Absolutely heartbreaking. I've never heard of Caboodle Ranch so I decided to go on their website, could of fooled me! I guess it just started out as a wonderful thing, but turned out to be too much. God Bless these poor kitties. I hope they get a second chance at finding loving homes.

RIP Sally

Quote Originally Posted by sallyandsnowx View Post
    Words can not express the feelings I felt after watching the video. Absolutely heartbreaking. I've never heard of Caboodle Ranch so I decided to go on their website, could of fooled me! I guess it just started out as a wonderful thing, but turned out to be too much. God Bless these poor kitties. I hope they get a second chance at finding loving homes.
    My link is the documentary but about the ASPCA pulling the kitties. It's a short article with a list of organizations that are helping them treat the cats. There is a video but it doesn't load automatically.

ASPCA pulls 700 cats from Caboodle Ranch.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    My link is the documentary but about the ASPCA pulling the kitties. It's a short article with a list of organizations that are helping them treat the cats. There is a video but it doesn't load automatically.

ASPCA pulls 700 cats from Caboodle Ranch.
    I just read this as well. Thank God they rescued those poor babies.

RIP Sally

Thank God they are saving them! RIP to those who didn't survive.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks for adding the ASPCA update. Wow, they have a LOT of groups helping. Well, with 700 cats, I guess you have to ask for help! Craig didn't do that. Also mentions he had no adoption program in place. AND NO SPAY / NEUTER PROGRAM?! omg

Prayers for those kitties to all find good homes. Says most of them crave human contact which is in their favor.

I also did not watch the vid on the ASPCA link.

I posted about this place on my facebook page. I found out about the case from a peta thread on FB. About two years ago there was an article in Your Cat magazine ( A british cat magazine) that I subscribe to. Just one page, talking about Kaboodle Ranch and how great it was. I do believe it started out that way. Then literally about two weeks ago i was watching repeats of Must Love Cats on animal planet and it was featured on there. It looked well kept, the cats all looked healthy, well fed, happy. I was watching with my parents and was saying I wanted to visit this place one day. Then last week I saw the PETA article on their website about how it had been investigated for animal cruelty. I was absolutely gobsmacked because the pictures and footage on there was completely different from what appeared on the Must Love Cats programme.
    I do feel sorry for the founder, because I think he started out with a wonderful concept and idea, and is obviously a cat lover and wanted to do something good for them. He obviously got too overwhelmed, took any cats that came along and just seriously let it get out of hand. I don't think of him as being cruel as such, and I don't think the neglect was intentional. It's not the same as someone who say kills or tortures an animal on purpose. I really don't think he meant for any of this to happen. I think i feel sorry for the human involved as well as the cats. He obviously needs some kind of help mentally, some kind of counselling. It would be kind of sad if he becomes known as somebody who 'hurt' animals. Because I don't think he ever did, not intentionally.
    I've found this whole thing really upsetting, and shocking. It's just so so sad.

The ASPCA posted a video yesterday on FB; they are having 3 adoption events for some of the cats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUAcGrr0jYc

P.S...the video shows a few cats that are thin,etc...but I did not find the video painful to watch, especially since I know what has happened.