Thread: Gun control discussion

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by catlady1945 View Post
    A person in a small town in Connecticut has a Glock, a Sig-Sauer, and an AR-15 type rifle. This is heavy duty stuff. Jack Reacher would not have such an arsenal. But we still have the right to have them on our dressers, don't we? More likely to shoot a family member or companion animal in any case.
    A kindergarten teacher in an idyllic small New England town.. Instead, the family member shot her.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    A kindergarten teacher in an idyllic small New England town.. Instead, the family member shot her.
    Scratch the surface of that small, idyllic New England town and you'll find the same puss and corruption as anywhere else, and in some cases worse.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by catlady1945 View Post
    You know this for a fact, do you? I live in a small village - think I better clean my assault rifle. The gun lovers rhetoric is putting the skeer in me.

Just FYI, I'm in the military & know a bit about the subject of weaponry. I would never keep any in my home.

Yes, I know that for a fact. I grew up in a small New England town. Just as much crime and scandal as anywhere else, just looked prettier in photos.

I'm retired from the military. Qualified expert on damned near everything in the US small arms inventory up to a ma deuce, and spent plenty of time as a weapons range safety NCO, Observer Controller, and a slew of other training positions. Your point?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Yes, I know that for a fact. I grew up in a small New England town. Just as much crime and scandal as anywhere else, just looked prettier in photos.

I'm retired from the military. Qualified expert on damned near everything in the US small arms inventory up to a ma deuce, and spent plenty of time as a weapons range safety NCO, Observer Controller, and a slew of other training positions. Your point?
    My point (and I do have one) is that amateurs with guns are scary and dangerous.

Incompetent professionals with weapons are more so.

Back to the point, the problem isn't the weapon, it's the person. If you're not competent to the point of being comfortable around weapons, perhaps you need more training, especially if you're in the military. The last thing I want in a unit is someone who's uncomfortable around the tools of the trade.

Households with young people need to have the guns in lock down!

I don't know why parents let their guns be available to kids! I have friends who hunt and their hunting rifles/guns are LOCKED at all times. They unlock the case when they take them and their older children, hunting.

I would never own a gun. It is my choice. I think folks should have a choice.

Why this latest killer's Mom had such assault weapons in her "collection" makes no sense to me. It came back to bite her in the butt, if you will. I wonder if she could have lived with herself, had her son not killed her first.

Responsible gun owners need to be just that. Responsible. Mentally ill people should not have guns/knives etc. Maybe we should lock down the mentally ill?

I think every town, has a collection of people ready to POP. I know my town does. The one I can think of in my town, is mentally unstable. It is just a matter of time until something awful happens. Just last week, this person took a drug over-dose then set his Mom's house on fire, in three places in the house. He survived, taken to the hospital and the house was damaged lots. What do you think his next step will be? His Mom is the sweetest person in the world. He has been through and is in counselling. I don't know if he is medicated. He is a time bomb. I hope they keep him in a mental hospital for a long time. Sad, but true. He is mentally ill. His DAD is mentally ill and has been for years. But he has rights....

Shall I go out and buy a gun to protect myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I don't think Alysser was insulting anyone.

It was merely a statement of opinion, and further from insulting anyone than your constantly derisive comments about those who disagree with you.
    Agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I wonder how many of the victims (the children) parents have guns in their houses and whether they want to keep them or not. I would imagine that their views might change, but who knows. It also seems to me that most of the people in favor of guns are the God loving people and the Republicans in the US.
    Some parents may go out and buy a gun to try and save their remaining children from a wacko.

I love the Lord, but don't want to meet him anytime soon.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I live in an upper middle class midwestern town. We probably have as much scandal as anywhere else, but like LH said, we make it look pretty good in photos. And we have the means and resources to hide it pretty well.

Connecticut has some of the most stringent gun legislation in the nation and yet a bunch of guns were found and used by a young man who should never have had access to them. Why did the mother not get rid of her entire collection when she knew that something wasn't right with her teenage son?

I know for a fact that there is less crime here than in other places. We had our own unspeakable tragedy almost 14 months ago when a 9th grader was stabbed to death, in her home, by an intruder because she interrupted a robbery. Put the name Kelli O'Laughlin into any search engine and there you will find the story.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That's where we are right now with better gun rights. These shootings happen over and over. We mourn, we grieve, we lower flags to half staff, and we say that something has to change. I'm with Pomtzu - the time has come to do something constructive.

"Give us grace so we'll be safe." -- The Prayer, Yolanda Adams
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

No, logical extension of your statements, combined with the absolutely juvenile and hyperbolic tone of your earlier posts. If you are comfortable with the tools of the trade, why then are you scared to keep them in your house? No difference between your bedroom and a barracks room in reality.

Pom, I agree with your suggestion that people write their legislature, and have not commented on this thread in some time. However, we have a few posters here who evidently feel the need to constantly post here every time someone stubs their toe with a firearm, and the constant derision of their posts gets increasingly old.