Thread: A positive development for Cole

A positive development for Cole

Up til recently Cole has been getting two pills twice a day - 1/2 a generic benadryl and 1/2 a generic pepcid.

I ran out of benadryl the other day and knew I had to get some the next day at the latest, and expect some barfing. See, those nasty mast cells emit histamines and an anti-histamine is used to counter that. Too many histamines upset the tummy.

Today is day 3 without benadryl - and no barfing. I am hoping this means that enough of the mast cells have been destroyed to enable Cole to go without the one med.

He is also more alert, which I am glad about!

Good boy!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Aww, what a good thing!
    I've Been Frosted

That's great, Candace and Cole!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Good news!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

That sounds encouraging, Candace and Cole! The less pills, the better.

Well done Cole, keep it up.

That's good news! I agree, the less pills, the better. In any case, talk to the vet and ask what he thinks.

I'm so glad to hear Cole is more alert.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

This is a good update! Benadryl puts me to sleep, so I'm not surprised to read he is more alert off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    This is a good update! Benadryl puts me to sleep, so I'm not surprised to read he is more alert off of it.
    Oh yes! After breakfast is his usual playtime. This morning I got meowed at a bit and was led to the living room (this is where I ask him "Where are we going?" as he walks in front of me. ).

I got the wand toy with a long stretch of fabric and a feather clump attached to the end of it. He got very wild-eyed and fierce and kept catching it and killing it!

Good for you, Cole! Make sure that your mom gets her exercise.

Well done, Cole!!!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

It has been such a joy Cole back to himself. Even before his diagnosis and surgery etc he was pulling fur out of his abdomen. The vet thought it was the arthritis. In hindsight, it seems obvious that the spleen was bothering him even then.

He did barf a bit later today (and later one yesterday). Yesterday he had had a bit of dry kibble - this morning it was a Greenies treat. However, the treat did not reappear until ths.is afternoon!

If he has to go back on Benadryl, I am going to ask if half the dose is okay. I mean - today he gave himself a complete grooming for the first time in ages.

He even started a fight with his "brother" Oscar. That was going great until Zoe decided to join in and started yelling like a banshee!

Just like the good old days!

OK - Cole was back to a projectile barf yesterday so I went out and bought some diphenhydramine. I am giving him only 1/4 tab twice a day as I want him to be himself as much as possible.

I forwarded this info to the oncologist's office - as in, 'I'm doing this anyway but let me know if there's a concern on your part.'

She (the tech) replied, "Sounds good. Keep me posted."

It still tastes terrible to him so I will have a small amount of olive oil margarine at the ready to help that a bit.

I hope that the 1/4 pill is just as effective, and that Cole is keeping his spunk.

Candace, I had a question: How can you tell that Transfer Factor Plus is working?
    Thanks.