Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: How cold is it where you are?

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    What's this with naming every storm that comes along now??? This Nor'easter is named Nemo. I thought only hurricanes (and typhoons) were important enough to get a name. I wonder who came up with this brilliant idea?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    What's this with naming every storm that comes along now??? This Nor'easter is named Nemo. I thought only hurricanes (and typhoons) were important enough to get a name. I wonder who came up with this brilliant idea?
    The Weather Channel came up with the idea, basically for communication. They contend that naming winter storms raises awareness and improves communication. The biggest winter storms get nicknames afterward anyway -- people in Chicago are still talking about the Blizzard of '67; the Weather Channel's Web page cites "Snowmageddon". But I think it will take time for "name that winter storm" to catch on.

http://www.weather.com/news/why-we-n...torms-20121001
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

It has been snowing here much of the day, I threw out some birdseed a little while ago, so now a whole bunch of juncos - a.k.a. snowbirds - are taking advantage. We've only got a couple inches now, but the bulk of the storm is due to arrive later.
    I've Been Frosted

Batten down the hatches, Karen, cuz it looks like you just might get buried over night. We had rain all day - not even heavy - and we're supposed to get about 1-3 inches of snow tonight from the storm moving in from the west. The temp has really dropped and the wind has picked up, and it will probably be icy going later. Good night to stay home with the hot chocolate and board games!

Stay safe everyone that's in the path of this Nor'easter.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    The Weather Channel came up with the idea, basically for communication. They contend that naming winter storms raises awareness and improves communication. The biggest winter storms get nicknames afterward anyway -- people in Chicago are still talking about the Blizzard of '67; the Weather Channel's Web page cites "Snowmageddon". But I think it will take time for "name that winter storm" to catch on.

http://www.weather.com/news/why-we-n...torms-20121001

Do you remember the blizzard of '78 ? I actually do & it was a doozey. It shut our city down for days. Everything was so quiet outside.

http://www.theindychannel.com/weathe...35-years-later
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I remember the Blizzard of '78 quite well! It was not predicted to be a blizzard. just a snowstorm, and a few flakes had just started to fall that afternoon as I was getting of the late bus with a neighbor (we had both stayed after school for some activity). I turned to her and said, "I hope we have a blizzard!"

Two days later, when we had shovelled enough to see across the street, her first words to me were, "This is YOUR fault!"

True story!

Dad was stuck at work for 4 days, the roads were closed for 7. But as he was a stationary engineer, he was allowed on the road at the 4-day mark; people like having electricity! Lady's Human and I shovelled out the end of the driveway enough for him to pull his truck in, and where he stopped, the snow in front of the truck was level with the hood - and it was a full-size Ford Pick-up in the seventies. There were 4 foot drifts in spots, it was impossible to tell how much we actually got. But we ended up with 6-foot high snow banks on either side of the driveway, and our Saint Bernard, Freckles, was in heavaen, she loved to perch on top and "Boof!" at folks from above!

My sister was in college in Lowell, and when the trains were back running, they took one into Boston, and had the eerie experience of walking through the Boston streets with no cars present!
    I've Been Frosted

Yup - I remember the blizzard of 78 since it was 5 days before we could get out once the National Guard came thru to help open some roads. And the 2003 President's Day Blizzard when RB Sherbie showed up and never left. Then there were the back to back blizzards 3 or 4 years ago when weather patterns were turned upside down. The normally snowy areas got almost none, and the less snowy areas got clobbered all winter. Will I remember Nemo??? - I doubt it. No snow at all for us here, other than the few flakes that were blowing around this morning around 4 a.m. when I took Myndi out! Oh well -- there's still time for a good snowstorm here, tho we tend to run on a 7 year cycle here for bad storms.

Hope all of you to the north are safe, and at least still have power - even if you can't get out for a while. The snow will be ending soon - sometime today at least - I think!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Do you remember the blizzard of '78 ? I actually do & it was a doozey. It shut our city down for days. Everything was so quiet outside.

http://www.theindychannel.com/weathe...35-years-later
    Raises hand! At the time I lived in a house with a coal furnace, so no worries about freezing.

Of course our power never went out! Had a few in-laws stay a day or so with us as their power was out.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

After the snow stopped ("78), we had mountainous drifts of snow, some near 6ft in our back yard. My kids had a ball jumping
    from their treehouse off onto the drift & sliding down instead of coming down the ladder.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Well, for this storm we got about 2 feet, but it is hard to measure as it was very windy, so drifts and shallows depending ... The snow had drifted by the front door so that, even though I had shoveled twice during the storm, it was 2 inches above the doorknob when Paul opened the door this morning. Our car is taller than those on either side, so only had about 4 inches of snow on top, others had 3-4 feet of drift on theirs! The driving ban will be lifted at 4 p.m. today, but lots of people will still be digging out by then!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Well, for this storm we got about 2 feet, but it is hard to measure as it was very windy, so drifts and shallows depending ... The snow had drifted by the front door so that, even though I had shoveled twice during the storm, it was 2 inches above the doorknob when Paul opened the door this morning. Our car is taller than those on either side, so only had about 4 inches of snow on top, others had 3-4 feet of drift on theirs! The driving ban will be lifted at 4 p.m. today, but lots of people will still be digging out by then!
    I guess it could have been worse, Karen. I was watching The Weather Channel and they reported that Milford, CT had 38". Now that's a whole lot of snow from a one day storm. Glad you made it thru okay.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    After the snow stopped ("78), we had mountainous drifts of snow, some near 6ft in our back yard. My kids had a ball jumping
    from their treehouse off onto the drift & sliding down instead of coming down the ladder.
    That was a heck of a storm for drifts. It drifted up the back of our house so high, that there was only a few inches of daylight visible at the top of the sliding glass door. We had to go out the front and dig our way to the back to get access to the slider and clear that. We also lost the above ground pool to drifts up one side that collapsed the wall.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Not cold here, the hot weather is getting ridiculous . Autumn my rear end mother nature.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Mother Nature has been messing with us. It's been spring for the last couple weeks, temps near freezing, but it was too good to last! It's -22C right now, lows in the -30C range overnight! Gag...I was done with winter!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

11c here at the moment, and getting down to about 9c overnight .

Tamara it has been all over the place, some strange weather that's for sure.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

We have been pretty warm (above freezing) for many days now, and most of the snow is gone from behind the place, but the snow pile in front is still at least knee high! After a lot of rain! Needless to say, we are at least not in a drought at the moment!
    I've Been Frosted