Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Food Questions Again I Know, But I need help!!!

Dog Food Questions Again I Know, But I need help!!!

Hello All,
    I know that this question has been submitted over and over again, but I do need help.
    I have 3 large Rotties who have a severe corn allergy. I have tried several foods over the years and my choices and bank account keep getting smaller and smaller.
    I have used and given up on all the Nutro - NutroMax products.
    I like the Natural Way Lassie brand but it is so hard to find in my part of the country. Only 1 store carries it and they are out most of the time. (Meijers)
    I also like the Nature's Recipe brand, but their cost is going up and up.
    I need a good alternative that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg.

I have looked at almost every website there is and can't find one that will give me a good price on food and comes with free shipping. Price may be OK, but shipping for a 40 or 50 lb. bag just kills it.
    I do wind up cooking for them quite often, but with 350+ lbs. of dog to feed that can get VERY pricey too.
    Any/All suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    LokiDog

Where are you located? Is there a "feed store" nearby that might be able to order the food in bulk, and get a discount for you?
    I've Been Frosted

I'm in the Northwest suburbs of Illinois. McHenry County. I don't know of any feed stores, but we do have a large farming community nearby. That's a real good idea.

Thanks

Farming stores are always way less. And so you know, the better brand of dog food you get, the less of it they have to eat because the less fillers they have. All good brands of dog food should be devoid of corn because corn is not anything for a dog. They are carnivores. It's just a way to make the dog feel full. Dogs get their energy from meat, not carbs. So if possible, go grain free! A lot of dogs end up with grain intolerances too. The cheapest grain free I know of is Taste of the Wild. Remy eats this. The price at PSP is about 40 dollars for 30 lbs but at a farm store it's only 38 for 30 lbs. Good deal! She loves it and she gets no ear or urinary tract infections anymore. (I believe it's because of the carbs)

Do you have a Costco? They have a Kirkland brand made by Diamond. I hear it's pretty darn good food for the price. It's super cheap too! Like... 23 bucks for a 40 lbs bag. That's a deal! They also started a new brand that is pretty cheap, and I'm pretty sure it's grain free... It's called Nature's Domain and may be just a bit more... but you probably could get away with feeding less since it has no grains that will go right through your dog.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

If your dogs are allergic to corn, try to find a food that is specific for
    food allergies. Natural Balance makes food specific allergy foods with
    very few ingredients but they are not cheap.
    Once you find a good food for allergies, ask the dog food company for coupons.
    (some of them will give $ off coupons which helps a little.)
    Some stores and dog food companies also have a frequent buyer plan,
    when you buy up to 10 bags you get one free.
    Also the feed/pet stores sometimes will run specials too.

----<---<--<{(@

Seems like everyone already suggested anything I thought of --
    - feed supply stores
    - Natural Balance LID (limited ingredient food) here is a link:
    http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog...as/SPFish.html

- Cooking or them, which you said you do already quite often. I recently found this book at my library, decided I liked it so I bought it:
    The Whole Food Diet by Andi Brown

She includes recipes, and discusses which food / herb does what.

Good luck!

I was just at Petsmart last night and got a bag of Nature's Recipe.. And noticed that lots of them had a $3 off this bag peelie coupon on them.. Pair that with a $5 off $30 coupon (From Petco, but they take competitor's coupons again...) and its not too much for a decent food. One bag of NR feeds our 3 Boxers for about 3.5 weeks maybe. We were feeding Blue but I've gotta cut back some... Only a single income house right now. So $29 for 40# vs $41 for 30#... a big difference.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Thanks All,

That's some really good ideas.

I did not know the Petsmart started taking competitors coupons again, haven't been there in a long time.

I have not bought food at Costco, I have always been a little leery about those types of foods because of their allergies. But Diamond is supposed to be a very good brand. I'll look into it.

I do like the Natures Recipe, They like it too and it does not upset their stomach. I have applied for and asked for every coupon that exists, but with over 350 lbs of dog to feed it doesn't go very far. But every little bit helps.

As for cooking for them I usually stick with chicken and beef, boiled with oatmeal, rice or barley.

Does anyone know if beans are good for them (Aside from the obvious gas factor)?

Puppies make the best friends

I'm A Loki Dog!!!!

Once I spoke the language of the flowers,

Once I understood each word the caterpillar said,

Once I smiled in secret at the gossip of the starlings,

And shared a conversation with the housefly

in my bed.

Once I heard and answered all the questions

of the crickets,

And joined the crying of each falling dying

flake of snow,

Once I spoke the language of the flowers. . . .

How did it go?

How did it go?

Forgotten Language by Shel Silverstein

Quote Originally Posted by LokiDog View Post
    Does anyone know if beans are good for them (Aside from the obvious gas factor)?
    Quite a number of our clients feed their dogs green beans (fresh, cooked, and believe it or not still frozen) as treats. Many dogs also enjoy carrots.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I know what you mean about trying to find coupons.. I'd go check out Petsmart and see if they have any $3/1 coupons on their bags. There's a current $5/$30 Petco coupon on Fatwallet.com (search for it on the upper right). Could wait till they run a petperks sale on it and stock up.. you can use more than one petco/mart coupon per transaction, as long as the dollar value is high enough... 2 bags 35.99 each, could use 2 $5/$30 coupons.. etc. Also, you can always look on eBay for people with Nature's Recipe coupons.. I know they're few and far between... but maybe with these $3/1 coupons out, someone might have some. Could always take a few extra if you do go up there and they have them. =) Can you tell I coupon.. a lot?!

Quote Originally Posted by LokiDog View Post

Dogs have a different digestive system than humans - so gas is not necessarily going to happen. Raw green beans, yes, are doggie safe! Not Karen safe - I'm allergic to them, but I would try a few first, to see how they react.
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks and Beans

OK, Thanks to ALL!!!

1- Seravieve, Thanks for the info. I found and printed the coupons last night. Their daddy is going there tonight. The coupons are expired (12/31/09) but maybe they will take them anyway. He can be pretty persuasive/pleading when he wants to be. I will let you know if he can grab any of the peely coupons.

2- Karen and Catlady711, I do give them green beans all the time. As well as carrots, peas, potatoes… everything really except corn. I was wondering about things like kidney beans, navy beans, lentils, that sort of thing. I would like to add them as a source of fiber-protein, in addition to the meat of coarse.

Again to all, Thanks for all the info so far. Does anyone else have a suggestion for a good “filler” for their home cooked food? I am using oatmeal, brown rice, barley and fresh, frozen and canned veggies. Sometimes I use pasta, not too often though. Is that a good filler?

Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.

I'm A Loki Dog!!!!

in my bed.

of the crickets,

flake of snow,

How did it go?

How did it go?

If they didnt accept those, there should be some that expire on 1/31/10 on Fatwallet.com... =) Sorry I'm no help with the other questions.. I know my dogs would eat them! I dunno if they should though.

Thanks Seravieve,

I just went back to the Fat Wallet site and found some 5/30 off coupons that are good until 3/31/10 they are good for 2+ months!!!
    Here is the link straight to the PDF with a copy of 4 of them on the same page. I just sent it to the hubby so he could use them tonight and I tested it and it went through.

http://www.fatwallet.com/attachments...30petco_1_.pdf

I did test it in the preview window and it worked so...
    I don’t know if it will work directly as a link, but you can always cut and paste into a new browser window and that definitely works.

Thanks Everybody!!!!

I'm A Loki Dog!!!!

in my bed.

of the crickets,

flake of snow,

How did it go?

How did it go?

Some beans are ok, but don't feed legume-beans. They may reduce a dog's ability to process Vitamin A.

If you are going to cook for your dogs you should read up on the Pottenger Cat study to see how cooked food's lack in nutrients affected cats in a lba study. Yes cats are different from dogs and have more nutritional needs, but it can be an eye opener on how cooking food takes out nutrients.

Why on earth do people like Diamond dog foods? It's ingredients are all made in China and it has one of the lowest ratings ever. Here is Diamond Maintenence: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...oduct=87&cat=7

Absolute Garbage!!!! Dollar Tree dog food is better than Diamond.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton