Thread: OT...Cleaning question

OT...Cleaning question

I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I have a stainless steel sink which I never had before and I've been using Ajax to clean it. I don't like the way it cleans and it leaves a white residue in some areas of the sink. Is there a stainless steel cleaner out there that I don't know about? Please let me know, thanks.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Vinegar.

First, do this (it's a pain, but maintenance is easy): Put the drain plug in, add about 1 cup of white vinegar, and fill the sink right up with hot/warm water. Leave for an hour and drain.

Then dry it out with a clean rag or towel.

To polish it up, fill a spray bottle with vinegar and water (I do a 50/50 mix). Spray it on and in your sink, and polish with a dry rag or towel.

Maintenance - wipe it down with a dry cloth; any moisture in the sink (clean stuff!) should be enough to give it a nice shine.

Ajax is too hard and abrasive for the stainless steel. If you have to scour, try baking soda or Vim.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Vinegar.

First, do this (it's a pain, but maintenance is easy): Put the drain plug in, add about 1 cup of white vinegar, and fill the sink right up with hot/warm water. Leave for an hour and drain.

Then dry it out with a clean rag or towel.

To polish it up, fill a spray bottle with vinegar and water (I do a 50/50 mix). Spray it on and in your sink, and polish with a dry rag or towel.

Maintenance - wipe it down with a dry cloth; any moisture in the sink (clean stuff!) should be enough to give it a nice shine.

Ajax is too hard and abrasive for the stainless steel. If you have to scour, try baking soda or Vim.
    Ok thanks I'll try that next time. I just bought a gallon of white vinegar cuz I use it to clean out my Keurig coffee maker. It seems vinegar cleans out a lot of stuff.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Yup, white vinegar is a fantastic cleaner!

Baking soda is wonderful too. We used to use a harsh chemical cleaner to clean the stove but my SO's sister told us to just try baking soda, it works just as well and isn't harsh to the environment or your hands.

Borax! Great in stainless steel!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I have 6 booklets, uses for white vinegar, for baking soda, and such. I've pretty much eliminated chemicals from my cleaning supplies. Between "going green," keeping healthy, and having the crew of 15, it just made sense. Not to mention these items are less costly too = which means more treats for the Crew! LOL

http://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7

And there are stainless steel cleaners out there. I use one; it's sort of like a wax and it puts a really nice finish to the SS after you're done w/cleaning it. After that, liquids run off and they won't stain as much.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

well i have one that is rather unusual, it is shaving cream, i hear ya, saying what on earth , i read about this and tried it myself, i regularly clean my stainless steel rubbish bin with it, and it works a dream, and shines up nicely too, never tried it on the sink, but now i am thinking why ever not, i just use a budget shaving cream and you don't need a lot either.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️