Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meet my new little boy

George my orange kitten

Apr 24 2014
    Hello Folks,
    I have a kitten food question & a progress report. I could put the food question on Cat Health but I want to keep all of George in one place for awhile if it's ok, sort of like a Journal I guess.

First, I cannot believe the progress that the pups & George have made with each other. In a way it seems as if George has been here for months rather than since April 13. Sissy Pom & George actually play together (sort of chase each other) while LilGirl watches. Yes, Sissy has stopped that incessant barking & LilGirl doesn't growl at him nearly as much. Also I feel safe now for George to be alone with both of them as he has showed that he can protect himself if necessary & the pups aren't scared of him any more. George is no longer in my bed but now stays in the den with Sissy at night & I've brought LilGirl back to my bedroom. Little George is a sweetie with his purring & good personality but his claws & teeth HURT me when he played at night while I was trying to sleep.

Now here's my kitten food question. What is a good dry kitten food? I'm thinking Grain Free & perhaps Blue Buffalo Wilderness. When I got George he was on some kind of dry CAT food (not kitten I think) & I have been gradually giving him Purina Kitten mixed with his old food. Ever since I got him his stools have been very soft & sometimes diarrhea. I took him back to vet & got some Metro, some packs of probiotic, & some Hill's A/D canned food at $2.30/can. I can feed him that for awhile but don't want to have to take out a loan to feed him LOL. He is a little pig in the eating department--a can a day. I'm gradually adding the Purina kitten food but I'm not sure it agrees with George. I hate to buy many bags of different food because it's expensive for trial & error so I'd like to find one at the start that is good for him.

What do you all think of Dry Blue Buffalo Wilderness-Kitten? Do you think it will help with his soft stools? Do we agree that Grain Free is better than with grain?

BTW as of today 4.24, his eyes are still blue.
    Thanks.... Kay

Congrats! You sure picked a very cute little kitten and you can never go wrong with an orangie. I know I haven't been here in a while but when I read about him, I just had to take the time to read this thread and make a comment. From my experience, most of my kittens have had some loose stools. I would try to feed him a grain free diet if possible. There are a lot more to choose from now. Good luck and please keep the pictures coming.

George-pics & food question (post 33)

Apr 25 2014
    Here's my kitten food question. What is a good dry kitten food? I'm thinking Grain Free & perhaps Blue Buffalo Wilderness. When I got George he was on some kind of dry CAT food (not kitten I think) & I have been gradually giving him Purina Kitten mixed with his old food. Ever since I got him his stools have been very soft & sometimes diarrhea. I took him back to vet & got some Metro, some packs of probiotic, & some Hill's A/D canned food at $2.30/can. I can feed him that for awhile but don't want to have to take out a loan to feed him LOL. He is a little pig in the eating department--a can a day. I'm gradually adding the Purina kitten food but I'm not sure it agrees with George. I hate to buy many bags of different food because it's expensive for trial & error so I'd like to find one at the start that is good for him.

What do you all think of Dry Blue Buffalo Wilderness-Kitten? Do you think it will help with his soft stools? Do we agree that Grain Free is better than with grain?

Here's some photos taken Apr 23 2014. I do enjoy taking closeup pics of George with his blue eyes but would enjoy also if/when they turn green. In the future I hope to have some videos to show up of George and Sissy Pom playing.... Kay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8591.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	949.1 KB 
ID:	58090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8601.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	58091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8593.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	979.0 KB 
ID:	58092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8600.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	58093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8604.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	58094  

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW>>>>>>>>THUNK!!!!

Fell over from cuteness overload!

George looks like he may have little brown or ginger smudges on either side of his nose as he gets older.

What a doll. I am glad the dogs are settling so well with him.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Wilderness kitten is an excellent food, though it's rich and therefore I odn't know if it would help with the soft stools or not. An increase in the fat content of the food is a common culprit for diarrhea, and most grain free kitten foods are pretty darn fatty. I'm surprised the A/D agreed with him since it's ridiculously fatty...if that's agreeing with him then the wilderness just might too!

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    Wilderness kitten is an excellent food, though it's rich and therefore I odn't know if it would help with the soft stools or not. An increase in the fat content of the food is a common culprit for diarrhea, and most grain free kitten foods are pretty darn fatty. I'm surprised the A/D agreed with him since it's ridiculously fatty...if that's agreeing with him then the wilderness just might too!
    Thanks for your response. With the A/D his stool is still soft, not really formed the way I think it should be. I think the actual diarrhea has stopped but he still has soft stool. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between urine and bm in the cat litter box. The A/D is what the vet recommended but I don't know if it is what he needs. He's been on A/D since Mon 4.21. Maybe (and I don't know for sure) the metronidazole Benzoate is contributing to his soft stool; he took the last dose this morning. I hope he gets "normal" soon as he sure does use the litter boxes often either urinating or having a bm. Otherwise he seems perfectly ok--active, playful, and purring.

Love the pics, he's so adorable.

Have you checked this, it has reviews of cat food. Not sure it's also for kittens, but take a look!
    http://www.petfoodratings.net/cattable.html

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

How about a little bit of pumpkin? Helps make soft stools firmer and hard stools softer...it's the wonder squash!
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

AWW What a cutie pie

I have never been owned by an Orangie
    He is a Cutie
    Glad they are all getting along

awwwww!!!! what a cutie!
    astrid

How is his tummy? Did you find a food that agrees with him?

Thanks for asking about George. Yes, I'm feeding him EVO cat and Kitten canned food-no grain. He eats like a pig . I'm trying to find him that exact food in the tall cans because it wont cost quite as much as these little 5 oz cans. I tried to order from Chewy and Wag but get "unavailable at this time". I hope it's just a temporary thing. There is an Innova food 95% meat that I might switch him to because I can find that in tall cans but it doesn't say "cat and kitten". I hate to change him though because he is doing good on Evo. He is growing like a weed LOL. So far, his eyes are still blue. He is the little boss of the house now.

That is an manufacturer thing with the big cans of Evo C&K being unavailable. Before I left my job we hadn't gotten it in months, and they still don't have it now. The Natura/P&G rep didn't have any ideas as to when it might be back in either. :/

OMG what a cutie patootie!!!! I have to agree with Tracey, you can't really go wrong with an orangie! Glad he's doing well and how cool are his eyes?