Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Westminster

I was at my mom and dad's house last evening and we were channel-surfing during a commercial break from the Grammy awards. Last year's Westminster show was being rerun on CNBC We saw the terriers and Best in Show. The Best in Show dogs ranged in size from the Pekingese to the winner, Scottish Deer Hound. We just enjoyed the diversity of the dogs- small and large, long and short coats, fluffy and sleek ones and all the different kinds of things they do. We're ready for this year!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    2012 T.V. schedule for those of you that don't already have the info:

Monday night 2/13
    8-9 p.m. - USA channel
    9-11 p.m. - CNBC

Tuesday night 2/14
    8-11 p.m. - USA channel

Posted times are Eastern time. West Coast is time delayed so you left coasters will not see it live.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 02-13-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Adding to Ellie's post -

Monday -
    Hound
    Toy
    Non Sporting
    Herding

Tuesday
    Sporting
    Working
    Terrier

Best In Show

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Interesting, I know I watched that sad ad once, and then hit the 'skip" button every other time it came on, I am well aware of the adoption issue, and do not need reminding. And I have not bought dog food for many years, so it doesn't influence my purchasing one way or the other, nor would it!
    Of course you don't need reminding.....but clearly lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of people do considering how many animals are turned into shelters, killed in shelters, allowed to breed, etc. every single day. I think the commercials were well done, they should be there, and people do need to be reminded whether they want to be or not.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I was at my mom and dad's house last evening and we were channel-surfing during a commercial break from the Grammy awards. Last year's Westminster show was being rerun on CNBC We saw the terriers and Best in Show. The Best in Show dogs ranged in size from the Pekingese to the winner, Scottish Deer Hound. We just enjoyed the diversity of the dogs- small and large, long and short coats, fluffy and sleek ones and all the different kinds of things they do. We're ready for this year!
    I learned something about Best in Show last night that I hadn't known before. The person who is judging Best in Show isn't there during the group judgings, of course. But the judge is told beforehand which breed has won each group, so he (or she) can review the standard for that particular breed prior to Best in Show. They know the 7 breeds they will see, but of course they don't know in advance which dog of that breed has won.

We were laughing last night because the little Pekingese was just so cute! And we thought the black Cocker Spaniel looked like he had bell-bottom pants on, the way his coat was styled. My mom and dad have a friend at church who has a cocker spaniel, but he doesn't have his coat styled in the same way. It's a lot shorter which I think must be much easier to comb.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

i was watching the dog show last night n i told hubby i could never be a dog show jidge becuse i would pick out the ones i liked..n i would wanna take them all home

Quote Originally Posted by HoochsMommiee View Post
    i was watching the dog show last night n i told hubby i could never be a dog show judge becuse i would pick out the ones i liked..n i would wanna take them all home
    I said that to my mom last night! Just give me 7 blue ribbons and get out of my way while I give them to all these wonderful dogs -- and we'll call it a night!

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post
    Of course you don't need reminding.....but clearly lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of people do considering how many animals are turned into shelters, killed in shelters, allowed to breed, etc. every single day. I think the commercials were well done, they should be there, and people do need to be reminded whether they want to be or not.
    I just think they can be reminded with less sad pictures, and that the people watching Westminster likely already know ... we'll see what the Pedigree commercials are like. One can deliver a message in many different ways, after all. I will not see the show as it airs tonight, but am recording it so I can watch later - and unlike every other TV show, I usually so watch the commercials if they are animal-related!
    I've Been Frosted

Watching it now!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Watch it year after year. Always amazes me that David Frei finds something NEW to say, lol.

So far this year: the borzoi has a double suspension gait! Ha ha haaaa

That PBGV should have taken the Group.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

That PBGV should have taken the Group.
    You think? I loved the Wirehaired Dachsund.

What's your toy vote?
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Sorry I was off line.

I wanted the Affenpinscher for the Toy, but that is cuz he is from the next town over (Seekonk, Mass) and I love the little "Monkey Dog!" He heee

I wanted the Bichon for the Non-Sporting Group, I am sure you are quite surprised at that! I can't believe the Bichon didn't even make Group 4, though, he has been a high favorite on FB all day -- with my 800+ FB friends, lol. He was the fave to win the breed as well, in spite of the fact that 2 of the FB group owned 2 other bichons in the breed!

I watched it tonight (husband nearly fell asleep, lol). I thought it was awesome that the Norwegian Lundehund is recognized by the AKC now. I've always found that breed fascinating and coming from a country with plenty of puffins, I can totally imagine how handy they would be with fetching puffins. I've never seen one back home though and as far as I know they have never used dogs for puffin hunting in the Faroes...

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing the terriers tomorrow!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm bummed - didn't get to see any except about the first 15 minutes of the hounds. Had a whopping headache, so took some Excedrin and laid down on the bed to watch, and next thing I know, it was 3:30 a.m.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Did I hear correctly (during the piece about the Norwegian puffin dog) that dogs don't have clavicles? But the puffin dog does. I still can't quite wrap my head around that! Dogs don't have clavicles. But they have a rib cage, of course.

So there's a new dog fan at my mom and dad's house -- my dad! He was smiling and laughing right along with my mom and me. When the Xolo dog came on - The dog was in his stack as the judge examined him. My dad said the dog looked like an Aztec statue. My mom said he looked very serious and strong. His coat reminded me of fine leather.

My mom and dad have a neighbor who has two fluffy white dogs. After seeing the dog show last night I think they might be American Eskimo dogs. Their names are Lucy and Schroeder Lucy is a happy extrovert who lets me pet her every time I see them, but Schroeder is shy. They are beautiful! They get white dog hair all over my coat, but I don't have a problem with that!