Thread: Politics and religion.

1. Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    McC 's history at West Point describes "take to the limit", "bad boy"
    behavior as a cadet. Maybe it's part of who he is?
    And how is that behavior accepted and promoted? I see it often in business as well. Someone who is very smart and capable but an incredible jerk and bully. The longer they get away with it the more pronounced the behavior becomes until finally they bump up against the person who will finally say...enough.

And then there is Michael Steele, Chairman of the Republican National Committee -

Well, if he's (referring to President Obama) such a student of history, has he not understood that you know that's the one thing you don't do, is engage in a land war in Afghanistan? All right, because everyone who has tried, over a thousand years of history, has failed. And there are reasons for that. There are other ways to engage in Afghanistan."
    Guess he forgot (conveniently) that is was George W. Bush who started the war in Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Guess he forgot (conveniently) that is was George W. Bush who started the war in Afghanistan.
    There is nothing in the quote you posted that shows he forgot who started the war. Nice try.

I guess Barry isnt all that much smarter the ShrubCo after all.

Since you didnt post the link that the quote came how can we judge the context?
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

RNC's Steele backtracks after Afghan war remarks

By Perry Bacon Jr.
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, July 2, 2010; 5:58 PM

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael S. Steele is trying to quell controversy over his comments that the war in Afghanistan was of "Obama's choosing" and his suggestion that it may not be winnable, remarks that put him at odds with much of his party.

On Friday, after a video surfaced of Steele's remarks at a Connecticut fundraiser the night before, some conservatives fumed and Democrats pounced.

A spokesman for Steele quickly issued a statement clarifying that the chairman supports the troops, and Steele himself soon followed up by saying that "for the sake of the security of the free world, our country must give our troops the support necessary to win this war."

Steele's tenure at the helm of the RNC has been marked by controversies, including over his criticism of -- and subsequent apology to -- Rush Limbaugh and the committee's spending money at a bondage-themed nightclub in California to entertain donors.

But his war remarks were a rare instance in which Steele articulated views on a key policy issue that differed from the party line. Most Republican members of Congress strongly supported President George W. Bush's decision to start the war in Afghanistan in 2001 and have backed funding and troop increases there, even as many Democrats have cast doubt on the war policy.

On the video, Steele is seen saying of Obama: "It was the president who was trying to be cute by half by flipping a script demonizing Iraq, while saying the battle really should be in Afghanistan. Well, if he's such a student of history, has he not understood that you know that's the one thing you don't do, is engage in a land war in Afghanistan? All right, because everyone who has tried, over a thousand years of history, has failed. And there are reasons for that. There are other ways to engage in Afghanistan."

In a piece on his magazine's Web site, William Kristol, editor of the conservative magazine the Weekly Standard, wrote: "There are, of course, those who think we should pull out of Afghanistan, and they're certainly entitled to make their case. But one of them shouldn't be the chairman of the Republican party."

"The war in Afghanistan was not 'a war of Obama's choosing,' " he added. "It has been prosecuted by the United States under Presidents Bush and Obama. Republicans have consistently supported the effort."

Democrats gleefully circulated both video of Steele's remarks and the criticism from Kristol.

"Michael Steele would do well to remember that we are not in Afghanistan by our own choosing, that we were attacked and his words have consequences," said Brad Woodhouse, the Democratic National Committee spokesman.

Erick Erickson, who runs the influential conservative blog Red State said: "Michael Steele must resign. He has lost all moral authority to lead the GOP."

Former South Carolina GOP chair Katon Dawson, who finished second to Steele in the race for the chairman's post early last year, said Steele should now be ousted, CNN reported. Dawson is a frequent critic of Steele but has not until now called for him to resign.

"The RNC should do the responsible thing and show Steele the door," Dawson told CNN. "Enough is enough."

No prominent conservative lawmaker or member of the RNC has called for Steele's resignation. The former Maryland lieutenant governor is one of the most prominent African- Americans in the GOP, and Republicans have seen major electoral success since he became chairman.

Now was that really that difficult?
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

IF the Democrats want Steele gone, and the RNC want Steele gone, I want him to stay. If the DNC and RNC agree on anything it cant be good for anybody who believes in the United States of America our Founders believed in. Steele staying in charge until Jan. will drive Constitutionalists away from the RNC in the coming elections, possibly bleeding out the politicians that are all about politics as usual and getting new blood and new life into our political system.

That type of new blood and new life into our political system scares the bejebus out of progressives, D and R, who want politics to continue "as usual".
    Last edited by blue; 07-03-2010 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Waiting for the Progressive Spin on this post. Grace, Liz, and She who must not be named, Im waiting.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    IF the Democrats want Steele gone, and the RNC want Steele gone, I want him to stay. If the DNC and RNC agree on anything it cant be good for anybody who believes in the United States of America our Founders believed in. Steele staying in charge until Jan. will drive Constitutionalists away from the RNC in the coming elections, possibly bleeding out the politicians that are all about politics as usual and getting new blood and new life into our political system.

That type of new blood and new life into our political system scares the bejebus out of progressives, D and R, who want politics to continue "as usual".

Yeah, blah,blah,blah. Why don't you address the point of the article?
    Steele said "The war in Afganistan was a war of Obama's choosing".
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Yeah, blah,blah,blah. Why don't you address the point of the article?
    Steele said "The war in Afganistan was a war of Obama's choosing".
    Because I dont care if he did or didnt. What matters is it unites the progressives, both R and D, in a tizzy of bunched up panties. So why dont you unbunch, and tell me why I should care.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Blog Entries
    There are other ways to engage in Afghanistan's

Do you think if I make some cookies & Lemonade & offered it to the Afghanistan's that would be a start.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Because I dont care if he did or didnt. What matters is it unites the progressives, both R and D, in a tizzy of bunched up panties. So why dont you unbunch, and tell me why I should care.

If you don't care, why are you posting about it? Did you just miss us
    "progressives" blue? Come on, be honest....
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

If you don't care, why are you posting about it? Did you just miss us
    "progressives" blue? Come on, be honest....
    I believe I explained why I posted about it. Because it gets the progressives all worked up, and that amuses me. The articles and blogs are nothing but a distraction for how bad Barry is bungling his presidency.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Found this interesting article that has a quiz to judge if you are
    progressive or conservative in your thinking.

Jul 01, 2010
    Defining ‘progressive’ in politics

The word "progressive" is thrown around a lot in Washington, sometimes as a less politically charged replacement for "liberal." But a new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds that a majority of Americans are not sure what, exactly, the term means and whether or not it applies to them.

Asked whether the term progressive "describes your own political views," 12% said "yes," 31% said "no," and 54% said they are unsure. Six in 10 Democrats and 57% of people who described themselves as liberal said they are unsure if the "progressive" label is right for them.

Also interesting, many respondents who describe themselves as progressive oppose some of the same measures that, say, the Congressional Progressive Caucus – which is made up of Democrats – supports. For instance, 24% of those who call themselves progressive say they would oppose more government regulation of major financial institutions. More than one in three say that, "the government is trying to do too many things that should be left to individuals and businesses."

Webster's New World College Dictionary includes about a dozen definitions for the word "progressive," including "moving forward or onward" and "continuing by successive steps." That leaves plenty of room for people to define themselves as "progressive conservatives," which, by the way, is the name of a political party in Canada.

The upper-case "Progressive" is defined as "a member of a Progressive Party," which this dictionary says is synonymous with "liberal."

The Washington-based Center for American Progress, which describes itself as being "dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through progressive ideas and action," takes one stab at a definition through this 40-question online quiz that purports to define participants as "progressive" or "conservative."

The poll was conducted June 11-15 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Take the quiz......http://www.americanprogress.org/issu...sive_quiz.html..
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Send Brock Lesner to Afghanistan.

So how did you score?

100/400 here.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.