Thread: Heartworm Question

Heartworm Question

Sorry....I really don't know much about heartworm. I was just thinking about it tonight because I had to give Nebo his monthly tablet (the chewable ones--he thinks its great!). My mother doesn't seem to think the heartworm meds are that necessary, and she proposed this question to me: If heartworm is spread by mosquitos, do you need to give them the meds in the winter months? It *is* transfered by mosquitos...right? Or am I way off here? Lol. It gets really cold here in the winter, with a lot of snow...and there's no way there's any mosquitos alive during our winter. I definitely think the meds are necessary, but I was kind of wondering about that question. Thanks.

Well, we used to not give it to them during the winter either. But I was talking to the vet & he was telling me that it's best because then they have "NO" chance of getting it, plus you don't have to have them tested every year if you keep them on it. I've found that it cheaper to go that route & I don't have to worry, what if I didn't get them tested & on the meds before the first mosquito came out? I personally just think it's best all around, and so do the dogs (they don't have to go get poked an extra time every year!)

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I agree w/ anna 66. I also give my dogs heartworm meds year round just in case the skeeters come out early. Also my dog are on interceptor which also protects against hookworms, roundworms & whipworms which they can get any time of the year. I would rather be safe than sorry. It is worth the life of my pet & not to mention cheaper & easier than treatment which is ussually at least $1000.00.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

In the South, with our sometimes "warm" winters, I have just decided that the expense of doing the preventative is very worth it. I would never want to put my dogs through the treatment of curing heartworms..........it is painful to them and they get very, very sick and have to be inactive for quite a while. Not worth doing that to my babies. We do it every month.

Some folks use the 6 month Pro-Heart treatment, which is an injection given by the vet. It is easier to remember. But my vet isn't using it. He said he isn't convinced that it is as effective as the monthly Heartguard, so he won't use it. I know many people who do use it. But there has also been a lot of negative publicity about it causine illness/death in dogs. So, I'm sticking to the monthly, expensive preventative.

Logan

We use Interceptor also. And we asked the vet about the 6 mo shot thingie & he doesn't do it either, says it really doesn't cover your dog like the others do.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I was actually reading about this issue, and you are right that you don't have to treat them when the mosquitos aren't out (in cold weather). I think more and more people are doing it year round though for the reasons already mentioned. We'll have our dog on it year round because there are only about 3 or 4 months a year when we don't have warm weather here in TX.

I'm so glad you posted this because I was wondering about the 6 month shot. I think we'll keep Susie on Heartguard since the shot is still under speculation... they tell us that she loves it and thinks it's a treat.
    Last edited by HoneyBunny; 10-25-2002 at 03:48 PM.
    Susie's Mom

we never gave it in the winter...cuz being in minesota dont give you to many warm winters and one of our dogs got it luckly we caught it right away, stupid misquto's, but its a costly error if you dont give them a pill monthly, like around here its 300 dollers to get it treated.

Yea , i didnt find out to long ago that masquitoes can give dogs heart worms.....

Kay

FCR
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCA(Future Cledus's of America)
    FTC(Future Twister Chaser)
    FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)
    FFA(Future Farmers of America)

I am just the opposite of many here. I don't give it during the cold months (November - March) because I albsolutely hate over medicating my dogs. With that being said though I should clarify that I do have them tested yearly.

I also do not give yearly vaccinations. My reasoning..... Many dogs (especially larger breeds including Goldens) seem to get more serious illnesses during the periods following innoculation than any other time. Most people don't realize that after the yearly vaccine is given the dogs immune system is knocked down to fight off viruses for about 14 to 21 days. During this period it is best to treat the dog as if it were a pup and not subject them to places where the virus's can be caught (ie dog stores, parks, community potty areas). Many cancers have been determined to show up in Goldens about two to three months after shots. Dixie's Aunt Jazz was diagnosed with cancer and was pts just four months after her yearly shots. There is no proof that her vaccinations were in play here but there is no proof they weren't either. Perhaps Coincidence in timing.

My recommendation.... I have a blood test done yearly to check for titers. Titers are the antibodies that are formed from vaccinations to determine their effectiveness in fighting off virus's. If the titer level comes back low then I vaccinate and watch where I take the dogs for two to three weeks.

If the titers come back normal then we have them rechecked the following year and forget that years vaccine. It usually comes back normal every other year. I was able to skip Dixie though for three years. She just had her vaccines a couple months ago and now I am dealing with a paw issue. I AM NOT SAYING HER PAW IS RELATED TO THE VACCINE. It is just coincidence I'm sure. What I am saying though is that I think many dogs are over vaccinated!

Having the titers checked is about $50.00 a year per dog. Many people do not want to assume this extra cost especially if the test comes back low and vaccines are needed. I just chose to pay the extra money for my own peace of mind. Others have to do what gives them peace of mind!

As for heartworm..... you need to at least have them checked if you don't give the meds around the calendar year.

Thanks for the info, Candy. I think I will just keep him on the heartworm meds all year because it is easier for me. The vet that I go to does do the 6 month heartworm shot, and they also do the yearly vaccinations. I am going to stay away from the heartworm shot, but I was wondering about the yearly vaccinations. Do you think just having them done every other year would be a good idea?

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    I am going to stay away from the heartworm shot, but I was wondering about the yearly vaccinations. Do you think just having them done every other year would be a good idea?
    Of all the meds out I strongly recommend staying away from the 6 month heartworm shot. There is not enough information on it to risk the chance. Too many dogs (of all breeds) have gotten seriously sick or died within months of getting this shot. Stick with the once a month!

Yearly vaccinations are your choice. As I said in my earlier post, I prefer to have titers checked to see if they need vaccinated. I don't like to over vaccinate. Yearly vaccinations are cheaper in the long run. It is just a matter of your comfort in what you choose. If you don't do the blood test yearly to have titers checked then do the vaccines to be safe. I also immunize against Lyme disease. This is usually something you have to request as it is not considered routine by most vets. Rabies you don't have a choice in. Most states dictate by law when a dog has to be vaccinated and it varies from state to state.

Wow! Good timing for this topic to resurface... Smokey's HeartGard is due today. Nice reminder for me.

How much does this heart worm pill cost and what is it called??

kay

FcR
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCA(Future Cledus's of America)
    FTC(Future Twister Chaser)
    FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)
    FFA(Future Farmers of America)

Heartgard

How much your dog weighs determines the price.

As said before I keep my dogs on heartworm year round but as far as vaccines go I only get them done when needed. (just like dixieland dancer). I get titers done yearly. I do give yearly vaccines for the first 2-3 years to build up antibodies then just as needed. But check w/ your vet before making any changes that are medical.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.