Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sydney's kidneys

Sydney's kidneys

My somewhat kidney-challenged boy Sydney had his annual checkup last week. Sydney has been eating kidney wet food (Purina NF is the kind he and Bob dislike the least) and getting sub-Q fluids for years. But the vet thinks he's showing signs that the kidney disease is progressing. He's lost weight and the vet saw signs in his eyes of high blood pressure.

Dr. Bill wants to see him again in a couple of months but said if his pupils become completely enlarged I should bring him in right away. So I'm watching his eyes. His pupils respond to the light but it's never bright enough in here for them to become slits. I'm going to try shining a flashlight in his face or holding him up to a lamp.

And he can have whatever he wants to eat now! .Sounds easy, eh?.. Well, finding things he likes to eat is always a trick, because he is one of those cats with VERY discriminating tastes, and just because he likes something one day doesn't mean he'll even touch it the next. I got a couple cans of the Recovery prescription food for cats that are at the eat-whatever-they-want stage. He inhaled the first bowlful. The next time I gave it to him, he ate a bit off the top, then walked away. I've been getting in more of the Trader Joe's Tuna for Cats, which he likes often but then might walk away from the next time too. And I'm a little afraid of too much straight tuna.. isn't that rather rich, or something, for cats? I'm trying different Friskies and Fancy Feast flavors too. (He gets wet food almost entirely, dry just for a little snack from time to time.)

Also, sometimes he eats some, then starts to walk away, so I'll mound up the wet food into a little mountain, and then he'll eat some more off the top, until what's left is flattened down again. Then I re-mound it again, and try him again.. This can go on a few times in a row. And if he's still not interested, I'll put it aside for a while, then serve the rest of the dish to him, and he might eat it, he might not.

Of course, anything new and interesting-smelling to eat, all the others want it too.. so this all takes some planning.

Sydney is some 16 years old, so this is not exactly an unexpected turn of health for him, but any prayers, good energies, warm thoughts, etc. will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much from Sydney and Pat and the rest of the gang
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Awww, prayers for Sydney's kidneys! And a kiss to him from me, okay?
    I've Been Frosted

Big prayers for Sydney, and that he is happy and eating and being his picky self for a long time yet!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

He ate some Fancy Feast Beef and Chicken Feast this evening.. not all of it, of course. I mounded up what was left, and he ate a little more. I mounded up what was left of THAT, and he ate a little more. Finally, I just let Bob eat the rest. He cleaned the bowl out good!

I shined a light in Sydney's face. His pupils constricted, but just to about half-size, not slits.

Thanks for the prayers and kisses, Karen and Candace

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Can your vet prescribe an appetite stimulant? My kidney kitty gets 1/4 of a tablet of Mirtzapine(sp?) every 3 days. It really does the trick. No more throwing away barely touched food.

Prayers headed your way!
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by momcats13 View Post
    Can your vet prescribe an appetite stimulant? My kidney kitty gets 1/4 of a tablet of Mirtzapine(sp?) every 3 days. It really does the trick. No more throwing away barely touched food.
    Thanks for the suggestion, momcats13. I'll mention this to the vet and see what he thinks. It would be nice if he ate a full meal at regular mealtimes like the others do, instead of wanting additional small servings during the day.

Sydney DOES eat; he's just very particular about what he'll eat and when. This morning at 5am (usual am feeding time) he ate the other half of the can can of Fancy Feast Chicken and Beef Feast, and the others had their regular breakfasts. Then I went to my aerobics class and then for coffee. When I got back around 9am, Sydney let me know he was hungry, so I shut him in the bathroom and served him up about a quarter of a can of Trader Joe's Turkey and Giblets, and he wolfed down most of that.

And no food gets thrown away. Sometimes I'll put it back in the fridge if he's not eating it, and then he'll eat the rest later; or else one or more of the others will eat it.

Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    Prayers headed your way!

Thank you, Anne, for the prayers!
    Death thought about it.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Eat Sydney, eat! You need to keep up your strength for your fan club.

Pat - check with your vet about giving him a vitamin B shot. This will stimulate his appetite and is more long acting than pilling. Seems to me that he's just being down right picky if he'll eat sometimes and somethings, and not others. At his age I guess he's earned the right to be finicky tho.

Myndi has kidney disease and has been on a prescription diet for almost a year now (she's almost 16) and is doing reasonably well. Over the summer we had to change the brand since she got sick of the first one and refused to eat it any longer, but so far she continues to eat the new one. Doc also gave me some recipes for some homemade low protien foods but she won't touch any of those, but I can take some of the ingredients from them and add to the canned prescription food when she starts to get somewhat finicky.

Prayers for Sydney from me and The Fuzzbuttz.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Aweee poor wittle Sydney.. Get Well Soon Bigg Boy.. Sending Lots Lots of Prayers & Whisker Kisses..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Tama is a very picky eater too. Luckily, for now, he loves the K/D and his weight has been holding steady since his first crash 6 months ago.

I also give him 1/4 mirtazapine when I notice he's not eating as much as he should. He also has the vitamin B added to his fluids.

I remember when he first crashed, trying to feed him anything and everything- and doing the mound thing with the food too!
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Thank you, pomtzu and Helene and neko1. Sydney has eaten QUITE well today.. He seems to like 9 Lives Daily Essentials Turkey and Giblets Dinner.. he snarfed up a third of the can! I'll serve him more later and see if he still likes it the next time.

He has been picky with food for quite a long time. I'm not sure just how long, or if he's always been picky. I'd see that he got the basic serving amount each day. Since I know now he's lost quite a bit of weight and he's showing other signs of advancing kidney disease, I'm doing my best now to feed him up with lots of yummy stuff.

I will also check with the vet about giving him some Vitamin B and/or mirtazapine.

Thanks again, all!

Death thought about it.

Lots of positive thoughts from me also for Sydney.

I'm another with a kidney failure cat, a foster I call Sam. I use Mirtazapine also and it's great, and I also put Vit.B 12 complex (3mls) into each bag of Ringers. Vit.B is light sensitive so you have to keep the bag in the closet in between treatments. How often are you giving fluids? I give Sam 100 in the evening and 75 in the morning. She's about 7# (she was 4.5# when I got her.) She absorbs it well so it's no problem. What are his kidney values - BUN, Creatinine, Potassium and Phosphorous?

Sam has pulled out of many crises, and I'm always thinking the end is very close. But we try something else and she pulls through. She's on Epogen because the kidney failure caused severe anemia, and that's worked very well. She also gets a high white cell count sometimes so we pulse her on Baytril. All these treatments are gentle and improve her quality of life, I'd never be in favor of simply doing anything to keep a cat alive.

Have you tried sliced turkey breast from the deli? I never know what Sam is going to like next so I simply let her roam to whatever food she feels like - except my food and I only give her very tiny amount of cheese, etc. - she'd throw it back up otherwise.

In regard to nausea in kidney failure cats, we've put Sam on Cerenia for a week a few times and she's bounced back very well.

Thank you, Lizzie, for the good thoughts and some more good suggestions and ideas. I'll also run these by the vet.

I give Sydney 125ml of fluid every day. I've been giving him this much for at least a year and before that 100ml for a long time.

Sydney hardly ever throws up (though someone else does from time to time.. I'm not sure which one or if it's only one, since I haven't caught anyone in the act).

I'll keep you posted! Thanks again,

Sydney and Pat and the gang
    Death thought about it.

Oh goodness, it's so scary when they become picky eaters at that age. I remember towards the end that Puddy would only eat fudgsicles. Anyhow, prayers are going up for Sydney and you, Pat. I hope that things improve right away. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11