Thread: My dog rolled in....

My dog rolled in....

Today on our walk, Jasper stopped to roll. I smiled because somtimes after he's been cooped up he likes to have a good roll on the grass and it's really cute.

Then I spied what looked like a tangle of sticks he was rolling in, and leaned in to look closer.

Ah, it was a rotting crow carcass, and the tangle of sticks was its feet. It was in the "liquefying" stage of decomposition, and there were carcass juices all over Jasper and his collar. I MUST start looking when he does that telltale "I'm gonna roll!" circle that he does.

We finished our walk and then walked straight to the self-service dog wash about a mile away. I bought him a new collar, washed him, and we walked back home. Normally I'd bathe him at home rather than spend $15 to use someone else's tub but...no, just no. I didn't want that stink in my house or my car.

The last time something like this happened it was goose poop and he was COVERED in green sludge form nose to tail. We tossed him in the creek to rinse off before driving home. He smelled like icky creekwater, but better that than crusted-on goose poop.

Anyone else have a good "My dog rolled in..." story?

Cell phone picture during the bath...

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I adopted Wolfy last September, and in that time he has found and "tried" to roll in several stinky things - more than Myndi and Sparky found in almost 18 years. He is always on leash even tho he has 2 acres to take me for a walk on, so it's easy for me to redirect his attention, just so long as I'm paying attention. The first encounter was a dead baby mole, and since I didn't remove it, he found the same one just a few days later. Then there was a big frog that got mutilated by the garden tractor, and a snake that met the same fate and stunk to high heaven. He's found a couple of freshly dead birds that were intact and not yet decaying, but those didn't interest him as much because they weren't "ripe" enough. He was nosing something this morning, but I gave his leash a tug and got him away from it.

Dogs - gotta love em..............
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh Jasper, you look far too proud for the deed you did.

RB Ethan was the absolute worst about doing this. On top of that, any time you gave him a bath his anal glands would express and he would smell absolutely horrid for the rest of the day. That poor guy. He was lucked we loved him so much!
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

Ah Wolfy, Jasper says he'd have gone for that dead mole too, as eau de dead creature is an excellent cologne!

and Casper; eeeew about the glands! That's the OPPOSITE effect of what you hope a bath will have!

Jasper, you are so funny in this photo!

I did laugh, but not 'at' you, been there with my flock a few times. Usually it is the green goose poop -- looks so stunning on these white coats!

The worst, grossest smelliest stuff any of our family dogs ever rolled in was rotting cow manure on my grandfather's farm. It took a hose down and two baths to get Sheba-dog smelling decent again!
    I've Been Frosted

Shortly after we moved out to New York, Lady got loose.

She had a great romp up through the pastures across the street from our house, and when she returned she was more brown than black and white. She had found a nice, fresh cowpie and rolled in it. She was NOT happy with the ensuing bath from the hose.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

My dog rolled in....

Its really nice to see when the dog rolled in grass.

Thank you

Actually my dogs do not roll in anything stinky. Taggart does the scoot around on his back thing, but never in something stinky. The only times I've dealt with stink on my dogs is when they met a skunk (twice for Zoee and once for Taggart).

Now my moms dogs............they do this ALL the time. And my parents live out in the country so there is plenty of stinky stuff to find. That's pretty much how they get regular baths is by rolling in stank.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Cindy - I'm totally jealous that your two don't roll in stinky things! We have very bold skunks in our area so I'm just waiting for Jasper to discover them...luckily he's always on leash outside so maybe I can stop him...

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    Cindy - I'm totally jealous that your two don't roll in stinky things! We have very bold skunks in our area so I'm just waiting for Jasper to discover them...luckily he's always on leash outside so maybe I can stop him...
    Hopefully for the sake of your nose Jasper doesn't take a page out of Lady's book.

Lady HATED skunks.

She got into one when she was a young dog, and had several baths (which she loathed) over the next 2 days to get rid of the sccent. After that, any time she saw a skunk she charged them, with the expected results. The one exception was one night when I went oustide and smelled a skunk, but never did find out where the smell was coming from until the next spring. I was weedwhacking next to the deck and saw a little paw sticking up out of the dirt. Evidently the night I smelled the skunk Lady had actually killed and buried it.
    Last edited by Lady's Human; 05-16-2014 at 11:39 PM. Reason: fat phingers
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

LH, your story makes me glad that we don't have a backyard, as I'm certain Jasper would have a go at any skunk that crossed by.

What's worse than skunk stink? DEAD skunk and skunk stink! *shudder*

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    LH, your story makes me glad that we don't have a backyard, as I'm certain Jasper would have a go at any skunk that crossed by.

What's worse than skunk stink? DEAD skunk and skunk stink! *shudder*
    And worse than that - the smell of skunk spray burning off one's exhaust system while you are driving to get "deskunking" shampoo!
    I've Been Frosted

14. Ew! dont blame you for not wanting that smell around.

living out here in the woods my dog has rolled in deer/crow an porcupine puckie.
    as for dead things he found a few deer an squirrel remains but that thankfully was it.

one time i tried to stop him before he got anymore stink on him he just gave me a look of "whatd i do?" then braked at me an did a play bow as if it was no big deal

Lol... dogs are so gross. mine will roll in everything stinky they can find!