Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring time is lambing time! (Pic Heavy)

Spring time is lambing time! (Pic Heavy)

Hi all,

Back again from another one of my little absences! Time is flying by. Only one more term (examination term, depressingly ) of university left for this year, and then I'll be a grizzled and haggard third year veterinary student.

I thought I would post a few photos you will likely enjoy - a few shots from my recent lambing placement. I first stayed with this wonderful farmer and his family in Camarthenshire, Wales, last year as a first year student, pretty much new to sheep husbandry in all respects. I loved it so much that I went back for this lambing season, and this time took my camera along. Now, I was primarily taking photographs of a veterinary and agricultural interest, which I of course will not be posting here. I did however get chance to snap a few scenes of the lighter side of lambing!

Hope you enjoy them, and make you feel in the mood for spring!

I'll start with a few of the breeds. Most of the flock were of Welsh Mountain type. They are a pretty, small-ish breed, the ewes of which generally make excellent mothers. Some of the stock were lambing outdoors although most were brought in, which was primarily where I was based to help out.

Here's a Welsh Lamb only 10 minutes old (and still a little slimy!)

It isn't long before the lamb will attempt to take its first steps, with some encouragement from mum.

This is the typical posture, known colloquially as 'star-gazing', of a ewe undergoing her final contractions. It was for me, I found, like trying to develop a sixth sense in knowing when the ewe is doing OK herself, and when to intervene. In this case, she delivered her lamb herself. without complications.

A happy ewe!

Ewes that have twins, or triplets, are penned overnight with their lambs to ensure both lambs get a good feed of colostrum, and that the ewe bonds with all her lambs instead of favouring one.

It can be a task in itself learning the language of animal marker! There were several different symbols sprayed onto the fleece indicating the animal's age, health, and lambs carried. This ewe has marks which tell us she is an old ewe (a broker) and was scanned as having twin lambs.

More pictures coming...

Zimbabwe 07/13

Once we are satisfied that the ewe and the lambs are healthy, they are turned out firstly to a paddock for observation, and then into the field for grazing, and peace from interfering humans!

The scenery around the farm was idyllic, and this picture of the hills in the background doesn't really do it justice. The nearest neighbours were a good drive away, and the road was only wide enough for one car at a time. The wildlife in the area was abundant, with buzzards and red kites often flying overhead. I was lucky with the weather and during both seasons the sun was almost always out, and I avoided the famed Welsh rain!

This is a ewe wearing a prolapse harness that I had just fitted to her. It is relatively common for ewes to prolapse prior to lambing (and occasionally after lambing, which is far more serious). The harness is a fairly new product that is easy to apply and comfortable for the animal. We put so many on this year that we ran out!

More pictures coming...

Zimbabwe 07/13

This was a little highlight for me - the birth of a black lamb! Almost all of the Welsh lambs were born white, some with a brown collar, and the odd one with black speckles around the face or legs as a throwback to the old speckle type. This ewe lambed at night, and had difficulty lambing so I had to give her a helping hand (gosh, please excuse that pun!). The first lamb was so big that he had become stuck in the birth canal, and the ewe had pushed so hard that the second lamb was presenting all tangled up. It took me roughly 45 minutes to reposition her and deliver her, but how worthwhile it was when I saw her beautiful, glistening black coat!

Yes, I was slightly in love with her!

Welsh mountain types were not the only breed on the farm - this is an example of the afore mentioned Welsh speckle.

Perhaps the most interestingly marked sheep, this is a Torddu, or Welsh Badger-Faced, ewe and lamb; a small, hardy breed.

Some of the ewes were also crossed with a Charollais ram, a French breed that has been increasing in popularity in Britain since the 1960s. The photos show a Welsh/Charollais and a Torddu/Charollais cross lamb respectively:

More coming...

Zimbabwe 07/13

This little lamb is a cross between a Welsh Mountain ewe and a Cheviot ram. The Cheviot is a chunky, woolly breed with a large head, characteristics which are generally passed on to the lambs too.

Finally, a few shots of the orphan, 'pet' lambs. These were comprised of runt triplet lambs, lambs rejected by their mothers and lambs whose mothers had unfortunately died. We would generally try to get them adopted onto another available ewe as soon as possible, but we ended up with quite a few as residents - 8 in total upon my departure. They were always hungry and didn't take them long to recognise who it is that feeds them...

The above pics show cheviot crosses with a Welsh lamb - the little Welsh was my favourite. He was the first 'pet' we had, and at one point we thought he wasn't going to make it due to contracting an infection. He did however make a turnaround, and soon became a little whirlwind, so much so I had to bottle him separately to the other lambs to stop him shoving them out the way! I do look terrible in this picture, but it was gone midnight on my nightshift and probably the best picture I have of him

And finally, a sheep farm would be incomplete.... without some sheep dogs!

Hope you all enjoy these pics. If they've made you half as happy as I was being involved in the lambing, then I'd be more than satisfied.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Those are great pictures! It was nice to learn about the different kinds of sheep. Seems like you had an amazing time.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Ahhh, I find this extremely interesting, of course! The lambs are precious and what an amazing experience! We never get to do anything THAT cool here, haha.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Those are great pictures! It was nice to learn about the different kinds of sheep. Seems like you had an amazing time.
    Agree agree! Wow, look at all the different sheep and lambs! The little ones have such cute faces! I've never seen a black lamb before!

I went with my family to the state fair one summer. The local Future Farmers were giving a talk about sheep and lambs, with several sheep standing by for "hands on" demonstrations . I got to put the palm of my hand on a ewe 's coat and gently put my fingertips in the fleece. It was so thick, it came all the way up to my first knuckles! And soft, and plush. There were a bunch of little children carefully patting the surface of the sheep's coats with their hands, which was so very cute! The sheep didn't seem to mind all those kids touching them.

These are awesome pictures! Thank you for the pictures of the countryside and the sheep dogs, too!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Oh, wow! Thanks for sharing! I'm surprised they don't just keep a database of ewes by ear tag numbers for things like age, etc. Paul looked at me and said "You'd just give them all names, and know them that way!" He knows me well!
    I've Been Frosted

*GASP!* Wow! I am breathless just from LOOKING at these great photos. How amazing for you to actually BE there, and to be the vet on site during lambing season.

Is the all black one considered "undesirable" and so not used in the future breeding cycles? All those baby lamb faces, oh my, I am so full inside! Even the ewes are very nice looking, lol.

Thank you, thank you so very much, for thinking of us here on PT, and taking pics for folks like us who don't actually need to see the vet pics, lol.

Oh my, the little ones are so cute! These are wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing them. I really enjoying seeing the different breeds and post birth photos. Looks like you had a spectacular time!

RIP Sally

They are just so cute. Good to see you again. I know you'll do well during exam term.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

That adorable newborn in the very first pictures is just breathtaking!

What wonderful photographs, thank you so much for sharing your placement experiences.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I've always looooved black lambs/sheep .. the one you helped to be born is soooooo cute!!.. I would've taken it home :P ..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Great pictures! And some really good information. Never knew there were that many kinds of lambs/sheep. Thanks for sharing!

Oh My! Thank you so much for sharing all those great photos. I've always lived in the country in North Carolina USA but I have never seen lambs born--have seen calves born. Just terrific! I've always thought little lambs are just precious. Good pics of you and baby lamb. Thanks for sharing; I really enjoyed your writeup with the photos. I bet you will be a good vet when you complete your studies. The countryside reminded me of the vet series All Creatures Big and Small. Kay in NC