Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Things I Have Never Understood ... add yours

Hah! Lisa! You just said, even better, what I was trying to say!!!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    I'm with you there, RICHARD: You're talking with someone on the phone, and their call-waiting signals another call is coming in.. and they put you on hold to take it. They're in effect telling you: "Pardon me while I see if there's someone I'd rather talk to than you on the other line."
    That's exactly how I feel. They are keeping their options open in case someone more important/interesting calls, then they kick you to the curb.
    Well, I gotta life too and I'm not hanging out on hold while you weigh the options. See ya!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya & Inka's mommy View Post
    - I never understood why people throw dirt on the ground when there is a wast bin not far away...
    Is it laziness, or just plain stupidity?? I really don't get that, and it sometimes makes me very angry...
    When I see an adult doing this, I don't react; but when I see a child doing this, I go ask her/him "don't you have a bin at home?"
    Usually the child looks at me with an dumb look......

I now for sure (100%) that my kids who are adults now, never did this as a child, and never does it as an adult!!
    Why don't parents teach this anymore to their kids???
    I'm with you completely on this one, Lut. Children learn from their parents' example how to deal with the outside world.

I've noticed that more often than not it's junk-food wrappers or cigarette butts or empty cigarette packs that are tossed out in public spaces. This makes me think that, since these people are okay about taking crap into their own bodies, they don't give a damn about throwing it out there for the rest of the world either.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Celebrity "news".

They are largely people getting paid for their looks (there ARE intelligent actors/actresses, however, that's not why they're on the screen). Make movies, TV shows, and let it rest there. I don't care what your viewpoint on vaccination, global warming, or any other cause du jour is, nor do I want to hear them unless you have a degree or direct experience in what you're discussing. Dance, monkey, dance.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

As god is my witness this JUST happened to me in the parking lot of the supermarket.

Some GD idiot on a cell phone walks out in front of the car while I am driving towards him, he stops turns away from
    me and I see he has a North Face jacket on (logo on the back) he walks back up onto the sidewalk - he never looked up or around to see if anyone was going to run his rear over.

I laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Brussels sprouts. They're like tiny cabbages. My whole family likes them, except for me.
    Marathons. If I need to go that far, I'm not going on foot!
    Parallel parking. I still stink at it after many years.
    People who abuse animals, children or the elderly (or any person, for that matter).
    Why I still struggle with reconciling my checkbook every month. I've had a checking account since college and it's always been a problem for me.
    Justin Bieber.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I don't understand the new fad of reality shows. I have never watched one and, based on what I've heard about verbally abusive judges and players, I don't feel I am missing a thing. I miss the shows which taught a moral, and what happened to musicals for movies? Life is scary enough, sad enough, I don't need more of that as my 'entertainment.'

I don't understand people who have a garage, but park their brand new car outside. Your car is usually your second largest purchase of your life (the house with the garage is the largest). Why leave it out in the elements? Take care of it!

I don't understand people who think animals don't have feelings, emotions. Usually, I can see another person's point of view, even if I do not agree with it. But this is just so obvious and clear to me, I can't grasp what sort of person would NOT see this in animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I don't understand people who have a garage, but park their brand new car outside. Your car is usually your second largest purchase of your life (the house with the garage is the largest). Why leave it out in the elements? Take care of it!
    I just heard a story on the radio about people who use their garages for everything except parking the car A laundry room, storage, a "man cave", an exercise room ... the car stays in the driveway, never quite gets into the garage. :wehavetoomuchstuff:

I take the tollway every day now. If they can collect my toll electronically through my I-Pass, and take a photograph of my car clearly enough to read the license plate number if my toll can't be collected -- why can't they use the same technology to catch speeders? The East-West Tollway (the one I regularly use) has a reputation as a road where drivers can go 75-80 mph and get away with it for long stretches. Figure it out, Illinois. You could collect a mint of money off of those speeding tickets. Maybe that would stave off another toll increase.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Hashtags?

Growing up they were called Pound Signs.

I refuse to call them 'hashtags'.....I laugh and ask people, What is up with the tic-tac-toe things?

----------

I don't understand 'facebook' and do not ask me to look, post or join.

I don't want to see photos of

Nice weather when it's snowing in my back yard.
    Your kid's b-day party, first anything.
    Vacations?

-----------------

Vacations? A few months ago you were complaining about money and how much you were suffering because you couldn't afford to buy XXXXXXXX.

And yesterday you mention that you posted the photos your flying vacation to a theme park- on facebook.......

--------------

Lawyer commercials on the tube.

"you don't have to pay, unless I win your case!"

Kinda a win-win for them?

Many garages don't fit newer cars, and don't fit them with enough room to work on them. Besides, the elements aren't a car's worst enemy, their worst enemy is lack of maintenance.

Our garage's ceiling is too low for the truck, and would be a nightmare to get into in the winter. Hence, it's a workshop and tool storage than a garage. I was asked once what I was going to do with all the tools I own. My reply? Most anything I need to.

At our previous house, the garage was built for a model T........nothing would fit in there.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I just heard a story on the radio about people who use their garages for everything except parking the car A laundry room, storage, a "man cave", an exercise room ... the car stays in the driveway, never quite gets into the garage. :wehavetoomuchstuff:

I take the tollway every day now. If they can collect my toll electronically through my I-Pass, and take a photograph of my car clearly enough to read the license plate number if my toll can't be collected -- why can't they use the same technology to catch speeders? The East-West Tollway (the one I regularly use) has a reputation as a road where drivers can go 75-80 mph and get away with it for long stretches. Figure it out, Illinois. You could collect a mint of money off of those speeding tickets. Maybe that would stave off another toll increase.
    The use of cameras to catch speeders has a questionable legal standing, court cases in regards to them have a mixed success rate, hence it would be more expensive to catch and prosecute speeders and then defend the inevitable court challenge.

They likely don't need the money specifically for the toll road maintenance anyway. The original bond bills to pay for the Mass Turnpike were paid off when I was in High School, but the tolls still exist. When politicians get a bag of free money, they don't give it up without a fight. It's easier politically to raise tolls than taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Hashtags?

Growing up they were called Pound Signs.

I refuse to call them 'hashtags'.....I laugh and ask people, What is up with the tic-tac-toe things?
    To a musician they are "sharp" signs - put it next to a note and you play it a half-step up. I don't mind them calling it hashtag in that usage, what I mind is people saying "hashtag whatever" in spoken conversations, like they are being clever.

cassiesmom, I do think whether or not people use the garage for the car actually has several contributing factors - size being the most important. The house on the corner of our street when we lived at the old house was newly built, so the builders put in one side of the garage big enough for a Hummer, and the other side still big but not THAT big! And I never saw their cars NOT in the garage. But I have been in garages so small that that car technically would fit, but you cannot open the door to get out of the car. And know people who will not park in a garage that is under or attached to a house because they have heard of or know someone whose car started a house fire. Lastly, I do know one person who is mildly claustrophobic, and so claims his car doesn't like being in confined spaces!

Just saying, it is not always a matter of too much stuff!
    I've Been Frosted

I don't understand the new fad of reality shows. I have never watched one and, based on what I've heard about verbally abusive judges and players, I don't feel I am missing a thing. I miss the shows which taught a moral, and what happened to musicals for movies? Life is scary enough, sad enough, I don't need more of that as my 'entertainment.'
    I have to admit I have watched part of some of them - can't remember what the shows were called. These sad people will do just about anything for attention and fame. Most of them have only half a brain. They thought they could pick and choose any job after the shows finished. NOT! Now, they're feeling sorry for themselves and most normal people can't stand to be near them.

I don't understand people who think animals don't have feelings, emotions. Usually, I can see another person's point of view, even if I do not agree with it. But this is just so obvious and clear to me, I can't grasp what sort of person would NOT see this in animals.
    People who can't see animals have feelings ought to spend some time with various animals, but they probably don't have empathy for other people, either. They must live in a "cold" world. Sad, isn't it!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I don't understand why we have the word: nonfiction. I mean, what is wrong with FACT? Books are either fact or fiction. Why do they have to be fiction and nonfiction?

Here's another I just thought of.....

Going to dinner in a group and the server gets to the one person and begins to take their order.

"I'll have the steak......"

How do you want it cooked?

Medium and what does that come with? (It's on the menu but they have to ask because....)

Potato or mixed vegetable, rice and a salad...

Can I sub some onion rings for the potato and I want cole slaw.

Um, I'll see what I can...

Oh and What kind of dressing do you have?

Ranch, Blue, Italian and the house....

Is there tomato in the salad? I don't want cherry tomatos, I don't like them. What were the choices again?

Ranch, Blue, Italian and the...

I want it on the side.

What kind of dressing?

After 10 minutes of ordering/choosing, it's over and when the food does come?

This steak is cold/hot/not what I ordered.....

And it goes on and on and on.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.